The Student Room Group

Is an extra GCSE in Geography/Sociology worth it?

I am doing 12 GCSE's altogether. However, I am taking GCSE maths and further maths in year 9 as well as statistics,(possibly) triple science and computer science in year 10. As I am doing GCSE's early, is it worth just doing an extra GCSE like geography or sociology?
Original post by Student2580
I am doing 12 GCSE's altogether. However, I am taking GCSE maths and further maths in year 9 as well as statistics,(possibly) triple science and computer science in year 10. As I am doing GCSE's early, is it worth just doing an extra GCSE like geography or sociology?

You could, but it's really not necessary. I'd only do it if you really particularly enjoyed one of those subjects and really wanted to take it regardless. It's still a lot of extra work at the end of the day, and if you do well in the 12 then I don't see there being any problems unless you want to take geography or sociology further.
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
You could, but it's really not necessary. I'd only do it if you really particularly enjoyed one of those subjects and really wanted to take it regardless. It's still a lot of extra work at the end of the day, and if you do well in the 12 then I don't see there being any problems unless you want to take geography or sociology further.

I was not thinking of doing any further but I know how easy geography or sociology is. Just a matter of remembering facts and writing them out in the exam.
Original post by Student2580
I was not thinking of doing any further but I know how easy geography or sociology is. Just a matter of remembering facts and writing them out in the exam.

I know what you mean and how you feel about taking an extra one. I was supposed to be taking 12 and considered taking another, but having left school 3 years ago I can see it was so not worth it. I got into college very easily, and I'll be going to uni too. It's not worth potentially lowering your grades in other subjects and having less time to revise them and do the work just for a 13th GCSE that no one is going to really care about. I'd definitely concentrate on your 12. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest