The Student Room Group

which cambridge college for economics?

I'm torn! I don't know which college to pick, even though pooling is a high possibility. I don't really mind the academic ranking, just that it's convenient to go the faculty of economics and town. Also, the accomodation and the people!! If there are other colleges please list them too!! thanks!!!
Clare
Gonville & Cauis
King's
Magdalene
Pembroke
Queens'
Robinson
Selwyn

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hangrylady88
I'm torn! I don't know which college to pick, even though pooling is a high possibility. I don't really mind the academic ranking, just that it's convenient to go the faculty of economics and town. Also, the accomodation and the people!! If there are other colleges please list them too!! thanks!!!
Clare
Gonville & Cauis
King's
Magdalene
Pembroke
Queens'
Robinson
Selwyn

In terms of proximity, then Selwyn but you would not be centrally located. If you want to be in a central college, then Clare, Cauis, Kings and Magdalene are central.

I think that you should carefully select your college and you know you want to study there. So that if you get in, you will be happy rather than secretly wishing that you were at Peterhouse or Trinity.

For me, I would go for Selwyn. If you get pooled, then you may be pooled to centrally located colleges.

Good luck.
Check out applytocambridge.com, it has pages on every college written by the students themselves! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clare
Gonville & Cauis
King's
Magdalene
Pembroke
Queens'
Robinson
Selwyn

All the colleges are listed here as well and you can ask it how many people are likely to be taking economics at that college (get a measure on the cohort at each)

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
(edited 7 years ago)
Clare
Gonville & Cauis
King's
Magdalene
Pembroke
Queens'
Robinson
Selwyn

Teaching will be relatively similar at all of those.

Selwyn is the closest to lectures followed by queens'. Although caius first year accommodation is off site and right by the lectures too.

For being central kings queens' Clare caius and Pembroke are the best.

I wouldn't worry too much about people, there'll be nice people at all colleges.

Can only speak for queens' accommodation which is high quality but also quite pricey compared to other colleges.

Any other questions about Cambridge (particularly queens' or economics) feel free to ask. Although I would say you'll love whatever college you end up at so don't stress :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thorough analysis of the variety of colleges available is beyond my knowledge, but I can tell you about the reasons I ended up applying - and being accepted - into King's.

Firstly, I wouldn't consider ones subject to be a massively important component of ones choice of college . Your teaching is going to be handled by the faculty and you might even end up having supervisions in another college. What is far more important is to consider the choice of college from the perspective of where you want to spend your next three years; a small or a large college, an old or a new one, location etc. These considerations are more important than ones related to ones subject (with couple exceptions, economics not being one of them).

That being said, there are some things that might help you narrow your shortlist. For me a couple of those were:

* How many economics students the college admits annually? This ranges from none to ~13; you might be interested in picking a college where you have some classmates.

* How many economics fellows does the college have? A minor detail, obviously; it might end up affecting the proximity of your supervisions or not. King's was a good hit for me because the college has the largest amount of economics fellows of all Cambridge colleges. While maybe not directly meaningful, it does give an indication about

* The role of economics in a college. While not particularly meaningful in most colleges, the feeling I got from King's both during my visit and since after has been that economics is a notable subject in the college both due to the college's historical background (Pigou, Keynes, Kahn etc.) and the general political activeness of the college which make economics relevant in the discourse.

* And yeah, King's is about as close to the midpoint between the economics facility and the city centre as you can get.

That being said, I do believe there are many other more significant factors that go into your choice of college; don't let these considerations hold an oversized role in your decision :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Clare
Gonville & Cauis
King's
Magdalene
Pembroke
Queens'
Robinson
Selwyn

Psssst come to Pembroke, we are awesome :wink: and only a 4 min bike ride away from the faculty of economics, or 11 mins on foot. Selwyn may be closer but you Pembroke wins :biggrin:

In all seriousness, check out the application statistics here. You can see how many people applied to each college for economics and how many were accepted per year. Applying to a very popular college won't affect your chances of getting an offer as good candidates are pooled, but you may run the risk of getting pooled to a college which wouldn't have been one of your favourites:

Original post by Platopus
Psssst come to Pembroke, we are awesome :wink: and only a 4 min bike ride away from the faculty of economics, or 11 mins on foot. Selwyn may be closer but you Pembroke wins :biggrin:

In all seriousness, check out the application statistics here. You can see how many people applied to each college for economics and how many were accepted per year. Applying to a very popular college won't affect your chances of getting an offer as good candidates are pooled, but you may run the risk of getting pooled to a college which wouldn't have been one of your favourites:

A few years ago, there were two boys from Pembroke in this forum who persistently plugged their college on every topic they could get your hand on.
I'm hoping you're not gradually turning into their reincarnation already even before you start there..........:tongue:

The advice in the second paragraph is good. :biggrin:

In all seriousness, check out the application statistics here. You can see how hmany people applied to each college for economics and how many were accepted per year. Applying to a very popular college won't affect your chances of getting an offer as good candidates are pooled, but you may run the risk of getting pooled to a college which wouldn't have been one of your favourites:

A few years ago, there were two boys from Pembroke in this forum who persistently plugged their college on every topic they could get their hands on.
I'm hoping you're not gradually turning into their reincarnation already even before you start there..........:tongue:

The advice in the second paragraph is good. :biggrin:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Teaching will be relatively similar at all of those.

Selwyn is the closest to lectures followed by queens'. Although caius first year accommodation is off site and right by the lectures too.

For being central kings queens' Clare caius and Pembroke are the best.

I wouldn't worry too much about people, there'll be nice people at all colleges.

Can only speak for queens' accommodation which is high quality but also quite pricey compared to other colleges.

Any other questions about Cambridge (particularly queens' or economics) feel free to ask. Although I would say you'll love whatever college you end up at so don't stress :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the advice!! are you doing economics in queens' right now? What made you pick queens'? if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by eniet
Thorough analysis of the variety of colleges available is beyond my knowledge, but I can tell you about the reasons I ended up applying - and being accepted - into King's.

Firstly, I wouldn't consider ones subject to be a massively important component of ones choice of college . Your teaching is going to be handled by the faculty and you might even end up having supervisions in another college. What is far more important is to consider the choice of college from the perspective of where you want to spend your next three years; a small or a large college, an old or a new one, location etc. These considerations are more important than ones related to ones subject (with couple exceptions, economics not being one of them).

That being said, there are some things that might help you narrow your shortlist. For me a couple of those were:

* How many economics students the college admits annually? This ranges from none to ~13; you might be interested in picking a college where you have some classmates.

* How many economics fellows does the college have? A minor detail, obviously; it might end up affecting the proximity of your supervisions or not. King's was a good hit for me because the college has the largest amount of economics fellows of all Cambridge colleges. While maybe not directly meaningful, it does give an indication about

* The role of economics in a college. While not particularly meaningful in most colleges, the feeling I got from King's both during my visit and since after has been that economics is a notable subject in the college both due to the college's historical background (Pigou, Keynes, Kahn etc.) and the general political activeness of the college which make economics relevant in the discourse.

* And yeah, King's is about as close to the midpoint between the economics facility and the city centre as you can get.

That being said, I do believe there are many other more significant factors that go into your choice of college; don't let these considerations hold an oversized role in your decision :smile:

how are you enjoying king's? from the stats I can see so many people apply for King's so I know there's a high chance of getting pooled :/ are there many international students?
Original post by eniet

and thanks for the advice!! never thought about taking the amount of fellows into consideration. :smile:
Original post by Wired_1800
In terms of proximity, then Selwyn but you would not be centrally located. If you want to be in a central college, then Clare, Cauis, Kings and Magdalene are central.

I think that you should carefully select your college and you know you want to study there. So that if you get in, you will be happy rather than secretly wishing that you were at Peterhouse or Trinity.

For me, I would go for Selwyn. If you get pooled, then you may be pooled to centrally located colleges.

Good luck.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Paralove
Check out applytocambridge.com, it has pages on every college written by the students themselves! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks!! I've just been on student room trying to decide. Hahahahah :smile:

Clearly you love your college!!! Hahahahaha!! Thanks for the stats link! How's Pembroke like? The accommodation and atmosphere?
I think right now I'm leaning towards Queens', Kings', St Catharine's and Pembroke! Do they all have ensuite rooms?
I think right now I'm leaning towards Queens', Kings', St Catharine's and Pembroke! Do they all have ensuite rooms?

Yes, but not all their rooms are en suite.
You can probably get one in the first year if you apply for it, but from the second year onward, you enter a housing ballot with a group of friends who you want to live together, so it's up to what sort of accommodation you decide as a group to choose in the ballot and up to how the ballot goes.
(edited 7 years ago)
thanks!! I've just been on student room trying to decide. Hahahahah :smile:

No problem. There should be a function on the website where you can send questions you might have and you'll get a reply back from a student. Alternatively, there are the #CambTweet accounts on twitter which are across most subjects and various colleges - have a browse through those and tweet with any questions you have! We're running a dedicated Q&A hour where we should be online to answer asap to questions on Sunday September 18th at 9pm. But you can tweet any time, you just might have to wait a little bit before you're answered though!

I picked queens' randomly but it was a good choice and I'm happy with the college.

To just correct vincrows slightly at queens' all undergrads get accommodation in college for three years so when you ballot for rooms in second and third year you do so as an individual rather than a group. In queens' you could easily get en suite accommodation for all three years although as I previously said I think queens' is on the more expensive side for accommodation compared to other colleges.

In Catz I'm pretty sure you have to live out for at least one year and I can't imagine that'd be en suite, but if someone knows more please correct me if I'm wrong.
Original post by NinjaPandaa
I picked queens' randomly but it was a good choice and I'm happy with the college.

To just correct vincrows slightly at queens' all undergrads get accommodation in college for three years so when you ballot for rooms in second and third year you do so as an individual rather than a group. In queens' you could easily get en suite accommodation for all three years although as I previously said I think queens' is on the more expensive side for accommodation compared to other colleges.

In Catz I'm pretty sure you have to live out for at least one year and I can't imagine that'd be en suite, but if someone knows more please correct me if I'm wrong.

Right. Thank you for the correction regarding Queens'. :smile:
However, whether you enter ballot individually or as a group is not to do with whether you can live in the college for three years or not.
All colleges guarantee accommodation at least for three years, and many of them for the duration of the course.
And at many colleges, you usually enter a ballot for a part of accommodation,,whether it's a corridor (or a part of) or a house, so,that you can occupy it with your friends you want to live together.
In some colleges, one person enter the ballot to represent the group (handy if he/she got a first as they have a priority vote) or as a group.
It is possible to enter a ballot on your own to get one available room, but not sure many people actually do it......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending