The Student Room Group

Should the UK reverse the Handgun ban for license owners?

The stupidity of tony blairs nanny state gun laws are plain to see today

War hero imprisoned for having a trophy pistol he brought back from the Falklands (when pistols here were 100% legal)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3540966/SAS-hero-jailed-Falklands-War-gun-trophy-Former-soldier-sentenced-15-months-keeping-9mm-pistol-remind-22-friends-died-conflict.html

Our own pistol shooters have to fly to Switzerland just to practice for the Olympics as they would face jail if they trained in their own country

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4162498.stm

As a British citizen you can own this, a 50. caliber anti-material rifle that is completely 100% legal to own and shoot

But a simple gun owner can not own something like this his grandad bought back from the wars, in fact the SAS man in the article above was caught with one of these got a rather hefty prison sentence

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I think they should. They should also allow people to possess firearms for the purpose of home defense. Laws should be made allowing people to defend their property.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes, I think they should. They should also allow people to possess firearms for the purpose of home defense. Laws should be made allowing people to defend their property.

guns go to the wrong people then what happens then? you can just say sorry no more guns because the people who are honest will give it back whereas the criminals will keep them which will cause even more problems. Better to have no security then arm the criminals
Original post by zainyyyyy
guns go to the wrong people then what happens then? you can just say sorry no more guns because the people who are honest will give it back whereas the criminals will keep them which will cause even more problems. Better to have no security then arm the criminals

Mate, If I go to the right part of my local town at the right time of day (1 - 4 am), I can get an ak and ammunition for it for about £700. Criminals will have guns anyway. Legal gun purchases won't make all that much difference to premeditated crime.

As for spur of the moment, I think it is worth it. We simply don't have the american gun and gang culture in the UK, so there will be very low bodycounts.
Reply 4

How many home invasions actually happen in this country?

How many burglaries happen when the home owner is actually present?

Lifting the ban would have zero effect and will never happen - there's no clamour for it and no party supports it.
Reply 5

Guns in the hands of the public are not safe. Because fir every hundred or so people who use them responsibly, there is at least one who's a psycho jut look at America and compare it to the UK. It's evident that guns are a stupid idea in the hands of the public.
As for the actual question, the obvious answer to someone like me is how easy it is to conceal that tiny pistol or threaten someone with it inconspicuously, whereas you wack out a great big gun in the middle of a shop etc. it's much easier to see. It's just easier to sneak a small firearm around on your person, and just as lethal.
Reply 6
Mate, If I go to the right part of my local town at the right time of day (1 - 4 am), I can get an ak and ammunition for it for about £700. Criminals will have guns anyway. Legal gun purchases won't make all that much difference to premeditated crime.

As for spur of the moment, I think it is worth it. We simply don't have the american gun and gang culture in the UK, so there will be very low bodycounts.

No.. it's not that easy to buy guns illegally in the UK. Maybe in some parts of the US you could buy an AK in the good at night but not in the Uk. Criminals in the UK largely don't have guns.
Original post by Drewski

Lifting the ban would have zero effect and will never happen - there's no clamour for it and no party supports it.

Well my family home has been burgled three times all of which were in the night while we were asleep. And that's just in 20years of living here.

whats the point of lying on a forum. You cant even buy a gun with ammo from america for that cheap, regardless in the uk. Guns go for a lot... and you cant go up to a criminal and get a gun for 700quid, they will either rob you or think youre a snitch.
Original post by Drewski

More per capita than in america : https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50598236

Data is difficult to find on the second one. The USA it is roughly 28% (http://www.crimeinamerica.net/2010/09/30/28-percent-of-burglaries-involve-people-at-home-good-doors-windows-prevent-violent-crime/) , but I cannot find anything on the UK.

Well, I wish there was a party that did so I could vote for them.

Original post by BobSausage
Guns in the hands of the public are not safe. Because fir every hundred or so people who use them responsibly, there is at least one who's a psycho jut look at America and compare it to the UK. It's evident that guns are a stupid idea in the hands of the public.
As for the actual question, the obvious answer to someone like me is how easy it is to conceal that tiny pistol or threaten someone with it inconspicuously, whereas you wack out a great big gun in the middle of a shop etc. it's much easier to see. It's just easier to sneak a small firearm around on your person, and just as lethal.

I don't care about a potential assailant's life, If they came at me I would use what I had to defend myself. Safety isn't really much of an issue for me, if more burglars get shot then I would say it's a good thing as it lets others know they cannot simply rob anymore.

Exactly, one psychotic nutjob. ONE OUT OF HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. I wouldn't restrict the freedoms of the many when a few ruin it, especially when we could use the taxes off of new gun sales to pay for better mental health screening.
Original post by Trapz99
No.. it's not that easy to buy guns illegally in the UK. Maybe in some parts of the US you could buy an AK in the good at night but not in the Uk. Criminals in the UK largely don't have guns.

It's like it near where I live. Mind you, its very high crime and quite poor.

Original post by zainyyyyy
whats the point of lying on a forum. You cant even buy a gun with ammo from america for that cheap, regardless in the uk. Guns go for a lot... and you cant go up to a criminal and get a gun for 700quid, they will either rob you or think youre a snitch.

I'm not, I have no reason to. If I was wrong, I wouldn't mention it. There is a lot of yugoshit floating around pretty much anywhere rough in europe.

Regardless, if a criminal wants a gun they can get one.

You're much less likely to need a firearm for the purpose of home defence if others aren't allowed to possess a firearm. You're creating the precise problem that you're trying to solve.
Original post by Plagioclase
You're much less likely to need a firearm for the purpose of home defence if others aren't allowed to possess a firearm. You're creating the precise problem that you're trying to solve.

Well, if the person who owns the house has a gun then, even if a robber has a gun, they are going to think twice about robbing it.

Even so, I never said I set out to solve any problems. I just think people should have the ability to defend themselves better in the UK, considering the only fully legal means of defending yourself in the UK is a rape whistle. If a few more people get shot, especially criminals, I think it is a good sacrifice.
Well, if the person who owns the house has a gun then, even if a robber has a gun, they are going to think twice about robbing it.

Even so, I never said I set out to solve any problems. I just think people should have the ability to defend themselves better in the UK, considering the only fully legal means of defending yourself in the UK is a rape whistle. If a few more people get shot, especially criminals, I think it is a good sacrifice.

Are you seriously arguing that it's justified for more innocent people to get shot if it means that more criminals get shot too? The benefit we get from "not being able to defend ourselves" is a gun homicide rate than other countries could only dream about. What on earth is the advantage of having a gun to protect yourself when the net result is being much more likely to die?
No.
Original post by Plagioclase
Are you seriously arguing that it's justified for more innocent people to get shot if it means that more criminals get shot too? The benefit we get from "not being able to defend ourselves" is a gun homicide rate than other countries could only dream about. What on earth is the advantage of having a gun to protect yourself when the net result is being much more likely to die?

I think that innocent people should have the right to defend themselves, and if they choose not to then that is their fault ultimately.

Yes, and a knife crime rate higher than the USA: https://dispellingthemythukvsusguns.wordpress.com/

If somebody comes at me or my family, I want them dead. A gun is a better means of putting somebody down than a kitchen knife (regardless, today you still would get done for GBH if you attacked a would-be home invader with a knife).

I think what ultimately what I am arguing for is more lax self-defense laws rather than some huge 2nd amendment style deal. Revolvers and handguns are a good way of defending oneself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99

It's not easy but it's not difficult to buy a gun here either. If you know a drug dealer, then he will know dozens of other dealers, some of whom will own guns or know a supplier.
It's like it near where I live. Mind you, its very high crime and quite poor.

No you're making this up. There is no part of the UK where you can just approach someone at night and buy a high-powered assault rifle. Maybe payout would be able to buy a small pistol somewhere at night if you've already arranged it over the phone or the internet but you can't just go somewhere and get an AK.
Original post by Trapz99
No you're making this up. There is no part of the UK where you can just approach someone at night and buy a high-powered assault rifle. Maybe payout would be able to buy a small pistol somewhere at night if you've already arranged it over the phone or the internet but you can't just go somewhere and get an AK.

You can if you organise it beforehand somewhat. Have you ever seen the police raids they do on inner-city gangs in parts of London and Birmingham? They often have AKs and shotguns among their inventory.

Regardless, it's an aside more than anything. You even admit that a criminal can still access illegal firearms easily.
Reply 19
Definitely not.

Latest

Trending

Trending