The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Likelihood of getting accommodation

So I didn't apply for accommodation at UEA because it was my second choice and they were asking for higher grades than my first choice was.

I didn't get into my first choice but I've got an unconditional offer from UEA so even though I (stupidly) didn't apply to accommodation when I should have is there any chance I'd get in? I'm coming from NI so I sort of need accommodation.
😔
Hi, I am in EXACTLY the same situation! Don't really know what to do now, I've tried the INTO UEA accomm but they're full, and contacted HomeRun but haven't got very far and doesn't seem to be much choice left! I'm on waiting list but it's a long shot that anything will come up at least before term starts. Does anyone know how many are on the list? like is it dozens or hundreds??
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by sybille27
Hi, I am in EXACTLY the same situation! Don't really know what to do now, I've tried the INTO UEA accomm but they're full, and contacted HomeRun but haven't got very far and doesn't seem to be much choice left! I'm on waiting list but it's a long shot that anything will come up at least before term starts. Does anyone know how many are on the list? like is it dozens or hundreds??

Afraid the only people who will know how long the waiting list is are the accomodation office staff themselves. RightMove students still has a number of individual rooms and properties listed
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation/Norwich.html?sortType=8&index=12

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one! Though it's not sounding good for us, hopefully we can get fitted in somewhere, I don't really know what else to do now
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
Afraid the only people who will know how long the waiting list is are the accomodation office staff themselves. RightMove students still has a number of individual rooms and properties listed
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation/Norwich.html?sortType=8&index=12

Thanks! I'll take a look
I'm in exactly the same position too! Was in denial about getting the grades so just didn't look at the accommodation emails when they came in. Hate the fact of not being on campus in my first year. Are you guys looking into private rented accommodation? I feel like I'm going to be sofa surfing until I find something.
Hi Sybille, there are likely to be others in your position using HomeRun so don't give up hope. What have you heard from them so far?
Original post by FreyaScottb
I'm in exactly the same position too! Was in denial about getting the grades so just didn't look at the accommodation emails when they came in. Hate the fact of not being on campus in my first year. Are you guys looking into private rented accommodation? I feel like I'm going to be sofa surfing until I find something.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel/felt! To be honest I'm thinking of taking a gap year so that I can get accomodation on campus next year.
Original post by ImmortalNarwhal
Yeah that's exactly how I feel/felt! To be honest I'm thinking of taking a gap year so that I can get accomodation on campus next year.

Has crossed my mind to take a gap year too. BUT a whole year waiting to go to uni just seems ludicrous. I have a friend who took a year out because she missed the accommodation deadline a couple years back and she said that it seemed like a silly worry when she actually got to UEA and spent a year in the ziggurats.
Reply 9
My granddaughter is in the same position. The Halls that she thought were booked turned out not to be because of a technical error. She was born in July so she has always been the youngest in her year. Asking her to start university and live in an unsupported environment is not desirable. Taking a gap year because of accommodation problems is a drastic measure that we would prefer to avoid. Is there a category of private accommodation that is the next best thing to Halls?
Original post by Gdad
My granddaughter is in the same position. The Halls that she thought were booked turned out not to be because of a technical error. She was born in July so she has always been the youngest in her year. Asking her to start university and live in an unsupported environment is not desirable. Taking a gap year because of accommodation problems is a drastic measure that we would prefer to avoid. Is there a category of private accommodation that is the next best thing to Halls?

You still have to look after yourself in halls so in that respect its not that different to private housing. Student support services are available to anyone regardless of where they live. If she isn't ready to live without support then maybe a year out wouldn't be a bad thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
jelly1000. You are right,of course but off campus accommodation just poses so many unnecessary obstacles at a time when she will be experiencing so much change anyway. Halls would provide her with the full university experience followed by private accommodation from year two which is the natural order. I imagine that by Christmas she would be fine; it's a shame that she cannot have that extra shelter for a few months. She has been told that there is a waiting list of 130. The Home Run agency shows that there are only 29 houses and 2 flats left. I hope that the waiting list is not really 130.
We are not familiar with Norwich. I would be grateful for advice on which housing area should we consider if she is studying in the School of Psychology?
Original post by Gdad
jelly1000. You are right,of course but off campus accommodation just poses so many unnecessary obstacles at a time when she will be experiencing so much change anyway. Halls would provide her with the full university experience followed by private accommodation from year two which is the natural order. I imagine that by Christmas she would be fine; it's a shame that she cannot have that extra shelter for a few months. She has been told that there is a waiting list of 130. The Home Run agency shows that there are only 29 houses and 2 flats left. I hope that the waiting list is not really 130.
We are not familiar with Norwich. I would be grateful for advice on which housing area should we consider if she is studying in the School of Psychology?

The campus itself is relatively small and in first year you have lectures & seminars all over the place, not just the in schools home building. If she wants to live walking distance to the university then the area around Wilberforce Road has the most student houses (sorry I can't remember what the area is referred to on home run). Then the Golden Triangle is full of student houses, this is area around 3 roads, Earlham Road, Dereham Road and Unthank Road which are a bus ride to the university but nearer to town.
Reply 13
jelly1000. Thank you for that information; it will inform our search. I don't suppose that there is a UEA forum that my granddaughter could join where accommodation is discussed and swaps and availability appear. I know! Unlikely, but worth asking.
Reply 14
Original post by Gdad
jelly1000. Thank you for that information; it will inform our search. I don't suppose that there is a UEA forum that my granddaughter could join where accommodation is discussed and swaps and availability appear. I know! Unlikely, but worth asking.

Your granddaughter should try looking here for spare rooms, there are a number of 2nd/3rd years (and some new first years) looking for people to fill up spaces in their student houses: https://www.facebook.com/groups/316131405105115/ If she either posts a request for housing or answers other students requests she may be able to find something.

Rightmove also has a section for students looking for rooms, she should try there too. You don't get to pick who you live with in halls so in a way finding a room in a shared house will give her the advantage of choosing who to live with. There are loads of people in the same situation, she really shouldn't worry too much once she's here she'll be fine :smile:

Living with 2nd/3rd years may actually be an advantage to your granddaughter, she will still attend freshers events and still be able to get to know more people in other years via her housemates. I'd also advise her to also join societies (there is a society fair on in the first week) so she can meet lots of people outside of her course.
Reply 15
Clur. M. Thank you for your reply. It is very reassuring. I will get my granddaughter to explore your advice. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Have you decided on this? And would you defer entry or just re-apply next year? As I am in the same situation and was wondering whether you would be able to defer entry until next year so close to the start of the course.
I am surprised none of you have clubbed together and found yourself a flat, it seems a logical step :smile: The reality is in second/third year everyone will be living in private accommodation anyway, it's just that you will end up having an extra year but you can always move elsewhere next year. As there's such demand for it this year you may have ended up with more expensive accommodation anyway when there are often cheaper rooms out there in the private sector. Don't see it all as a bad thing it isn't :biggrin:
Original post by cameronmarshall1
Have you decided on this? And would you defer entry or just re-apply next year? As I am in the same situation and was wondering whether you would be able to defer entry until next year so close to the start of the course.

Yeah I've emailed them and all and I'm going next year, it was really easy to do! I think I'll be more prepared next year because I'll have actually applied for accommodation and I'll be a bit older. Thanks to everyone who replied by the way it was really helpful but I just decided this isnt my year to go.
Reply 19
Yeah I've emailed them and all and I'm going next year, it was really easy to do! I think I'll be more prepared next year because I'll have actually applied for accommodation and I'll be a bit older. Thanks to everyone who replied by the way it was really helpful but I just decided this isnt my year to go.

Granddaughter's accommodation seems to be sorted. The message board on Home Run did the trick. Thanks to the respondents who reassured and offered advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending