The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

on the medify limited time practice sessions, do people bother to convert their score using the percentage x 600 + 300 method ? and does that kind of correlate with the mini mocks and mocks they do? ? Thanks!
Original post by marsbar3007
on the medify limited time practice sessions, do people bother to convert their score using the percentage x 600 + 300 method ? and does that kind of correlate with the mini mocks and mocks they do? ? Thanks!

I didn't know this was a thing ! And if so can someone reply as I'm wondering too now as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3722
Original post by isabella1999
Just did my second UKCAT official mock, a little bit better than Mock A but the abstract section was awful had to guess quite a lot of the patterns and I am normally fairly good at it :frown: I got 677 average, (730 verbal, 670 Quantitative and 630 abstract). Can anyone who has done UKCAT say how each of the mocks compare? Like the abstract is not that hard right? Thanks!

I got 770, 630, 650 in that mock and got 740, 740, 700 irl.
has anyone had their ukcat in the morning? i am doing the ukcatsen and due to that theres not as many sessions therefore could only get one in the morning and wondered if this will affect my score
Original post by xJessScott
has anyone had their ukcat in the morning? i am doing the ukcatsen and due to that theres not as many sessions therefore could only get one in the morning and wondered if this will affect my score

It's actually better if you do it in the morning (as long as you have a good sleeping pattern) because you're less likely to be tired going into the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wanted to ask fellow medical students here if these results could allow me to enter the universities I will be writing down here:

GCSE:
Eng lang & lit = BB
Geography= A
Double Science=BB
Maths=A*
Further maths= A*
Business=A
Religion Education=A*
French=B
BTEC IT= Merit

AS Level ( MOST UNIS SAY THEY CHECK YOUR A LEVEL PREDICTED GRADES):
Maths = B - disappointed
Chemistry= D- such a letdown
biology= B - very happy
business= A! throwing this away though

I will be applying for:
-Manchester
-Leicster
-SGUL
-Queens mary

I will be sitting the UKCAT on the 16th September, but I am having major problems in the VR and QR sections.

please state whether I am at a disadvantage in any area, though my personal statement seems fantastic! Thank you in advance, and good luck to us all future medics
Original post by ASTK98
It's actually better if you do it in the morning (as long as you have a good sleeping pattern) because you're less likely to be tired going into the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah i hope so thank you :smile:
Original post by Awsomedude
I wanted to ask fellow medical students here if these results could allow me to enter the universities I will be writing down here:

GCSE:
Eng lang & lit = BB
Geography= A
Double Science=BB
Maths=A*
Further maths= A*
Business=A
Religion Education=A*
French=B
BTEC IT= Merit

Maths = B - disappointed
biology= B - very happy

I will be applying for:
-Manchester
-Leicster
-SGUL
-Queens mary

I will be sitting the UKCAT on the 16th September, but I am having major problems in the VR and QR sections.

please state whether I am at a disadvantage in any area, though my personal statement seems fantastic! Thank you in advance, and good luck to us all future medics

just need to do some research, will you be predicted 3 A's with your AS levels? some look at predicted and some look at everything gcses included
leicester score depending on your gcse, as results and predicted results along with ukcat so have a look at the document they have on their website and work out your score and if you think its reasonable then go ahead
i dont know much about queen mary, im applying their too but i will have a degree in adult nursing
but just have a look at all their admission policy on their websites and youll get a good idea

have a look at gcse bitesize maths to make sure you have all the basics down to a T like percentage change and ratio etc, i went through all of that and improved massively
VR is just making sure you can skim read the text as quick as you can by picking out the vital information AFTER reading the question so you know what youre looking for. just have to practice as much as you can. some people mention trying to skim read in normal day to day life like news papers and stuff to get your brain used to it

im not a medical student, hoping to be, but ive read every page of this thread :')
Original post by xJessScott
just need to do some research, will you be predicted 3 A's with your AS levels? some look at predicted and some look at everything gcses included
leicester score depending on your gcse, as results and predicted results along with ukcat so have a look at the document they have on their website and work out your score and if you think its reasonable then go ahead
i dont know much about queen mary, im applying their too but i will have a degree in adult nursing
but just have a look at all their admission policy on their websites and youll get a good idea

have a look at gcse bitesize maths to make sure you have all the basics down to a T like percentage change and ratio etc, i went through all of that and improved massively
VR is just making sure you can skim read the text as quick as you can by picking out the vital information AFTER reading the question so you know what youre looking for. just have to practice as much as you can. some people mention trying to skim read in normal day to day life like news papers and stuff to get your brain used to it

im not a medical student, hoping to be, but ive read every page of this thread :':wink:

Thanks a ton for the advice on the ukcat, iffel that's what I have been missing :smile:.
I have seen all their websites, and seems leicster is the hardest one, I really did badly in my GCSE's ;( but I'm hoping my chem predicted grade will be an A and I smash the ukcat.

I hope u achieve your dream, appreciated your advice, and good luck in your ukcat. gotta go back to finishing some AR Section question Good luck Medics!
Thanks a ton for the advice on the ukcat, iffel that's what I have been missing :smile:.
I have seen all their websites, and seems leicster is the hardest one, I really did badly in my GCSE's ;( but I'm hoping my chem predicted grade will be an A and I smash the ukcat.

I hope u achieve your dream, appreciated your advice, and good luck in your ukcat. gotta go back to finishing some AR Section question Good luck Medics!

no bother :smile: thats why i did a nursing degree first because my GCSEs and A levels were awful aha. and thank you!! you too, hope you do well
Are the Official UKCAT mocks easier or harder than the real thing?
I just did the SJT mock from the 1000Qs book and I just about got Band 1 (221-272 is band 1 and I got 221). I've read on here that the book is a lot harder than the actual thing so I wanted to know if I've got a good chance of getting a band 1 in the real thing?
Reply 3732
Original post by ib_hopeful

Why is this question still being asked??? Jesus christ. Look at the many other ppsts before asking again.
Original post by RKM21
Why is this question still being asked??? Jesus christ. Look at the many other ppsts before asking again.

I see your point... but it's kinda hard to scan through 189 pages of posts to look for a question, ya know?
Reply 3734

I found the official mocks easier than real for VR and AR... QR was slightly easier in real than official mocks
Original post by Zedna
I got 770, 630, 650 in that mock and got 740, 740, 700 irl.

Oh okay thanks :h:
Original post by Tinbite1
HI Guys! Has anyone done medify mock 2?

I did it an hour ago, I think their conversion system is a little deflated mind.

VR 730
QR 600
AR 710

concerned about QR obviously, praying its as easy as some are saying :smile:

how was it for you?

GCSE:
Eng lang & lit = BB
Geography= A
Double Science=BB
Maths=A*
Further maths= A*
Business=A
Religion Education=A*
French=B
BTEC IT= Merit

Maths = B - disappointed
biology= B - very happy

I will be applying for:
-Manchester
-Leicster
-SGUL
-Queens mary

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but I think your AS grades put you at a massive disadvantage. I'm speaking based on personal experience btw. I got BCCC in AS levels last year and got 4 rejections before interview from med schools. Although you should still give it a shot; convince your teachers to predict you 3As and don't put your AS grades on your UCAS form (I wasn't going to but my school made me fsr). Just make sure you turn those grades around in year 13 especially Chemistry cos it's the most important subject for Med, good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Nobody knows for sure but Liverpool said their competitive score was something like 1780-1850 or something that's from the top of my head and Sheffield want 1850. So those will count as good scores most likely but this isn't including super ukcat heavy uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For liverpool there is 2 stages to get an interview: 1) Meet minimum academic requirements plus achieve UKCAT cut off (last year was 625 average) 2) personal statement is scored and the top scoring personal statements are invited to interview.For sheffield you need to meet the minimum academic requirements which includes 1850 for UKCAT like you said, but they have a UKCAT cut off in the second stage. Last year if they used a cut off, those with scores above 675 average would have been invited to interview.

I definitely found it harder with the exception on Verbal reasoning. In the actual UKCAT exam i found the passages SO long

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending