The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No
As one of the very few people here whose family actually own a personal protection weapon and as a person who has been on the wrong end of gun violence before F*CK NO!
The reason why the UK's Police force is one of the best in the world is the fact that they are both relatively well trained and compared to many other countries do not have to fear citizens being able to harm them as easily as say in America. If handguns with licences were legalised in the UK then the UK police would also all need to be carrying firearms which does not help relationships with the public.
However I do believe a limited number of gun ranges should be able to possess them under heavily regulated conditions for idiots who want to play with guns and those who compete in the Olympics.
Keep gun ownership down or it will reach a critical mass where everybody starts buying guns out of fear.

The last thing we need in the UK is a gun culture.
I support gun ownership in countries that have a legitimate reason to have them

There's not really any reason to legalise handguns in the UK though. Criminals would undoubtedly benefit more from their availability than law-abiding citizens would
Reply 25
Original post by BobSausage

As for the actual question, the obvious answer to someone like me is how easy it is to conceal that tiny pistol or threaten someone with it inconspicuously, whereas you wack out a great big gun in the middle of a shop etc. it's much easier to see. It's just easier to sneak a small firearm around on your person, and just as lethal.

If you knew anything about our laws/guns you would know converting a rifle, shotgun or long pistol into a "concealable" weapon is as easy as taking a hacksaw to the stock and Barrel to shorten it.

Your argument is completely flawed when you consider basic logic

Point in case here
http://shootingsuppliesltd.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Taurus-Long-Barrel-Revolver.jpg

Please tell me the logic in our gun laws, because to me it makes absolutely zero sense. Especially when any legally owned weapon used in a crime points straight back to you, legal well stored and registered handguns were never an issue in this country.
(edited 7 years ago)
No - Less guns the better
Rather not turn into America thank you very much, so many shootings

Yes, because america has much poorer neighbourhoods than the UK.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes, because america has much poorer neighbourhoods than the UK.

Wealth has nothing to do with it, it's their access to the weapons. There is honestly 0 need in the UK for people to own them. If you're so worried about being robbed, take a self defense class
Original post by alexschmalex
Wealth has nothing to do with it, it's their access to the weapons. There is honestly 0 need in the UK for people to own them. If you're so worried about being robbed, take a self defense class

Go and read the statistics. Poor people commit more crime, especially violent crime, than rich people. The fact that they are using guns to commit the crime is secondary.

Detroit is far poorer than the poorest neighbourhood in the UK.
now we have left the EU we can ditch all these namby pamby Elf & Safety red tape nonsense laws. the honest folk of Britain should be allowed to arm themselves to the teeth. this would help our domestic Arms Industry as well as give the NHS a much needed shot in the arm.
Reply 32
Original post by Betelgeuse-
No - Less guns the better

:angry: It's fewer not less!
But yah I agree.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Go and read the statistics. Poor people commit more crime, especially violent crime, than rich people. The fact that they are using guns to commit the crime is secondary.

Detroit is far poorer than the poorest neighbourhood in the UK.

OK. Make the UK the size of the US population wise. Create an equal wealth gap while you're at it. They will still have more violent crime because they have more violent tools. What they use is important. Last time I checked, a gun is far more likely to kill someone than a knife or 3 pairs of fists. But what do I know, I haven't read the statistics on that 🤔
No. I much prefer the lower incidence of gun crime we have in the UK than compared to the USA. I neither want to feel as at risk nor do I see the need for us to exoerience that level of gun himicides and woundings for the vanity of a few.

Criminals might be able to get hold of firearms, but its nowhere near as easy as it could be without gun control. The firearms they tend to access are expensive and often way out of date.
Original post by alexschmalex
OK. Make the UK the size of the US population wise. Create an equal wealth gap while you're at it. They will still have more violent crime because they have more violent tools. What they use is important. Last time I checked, a gun is far more likely to kill someone than a knife or 3 pairs of fists. But what do I know, I haven't read the statistics on that 🤔

I don't think it would. If people didn't have guns, they would use knives. If they didn't have knives, they would use their fists.

A gun is a more efficient tool, but the others are just as capable of killing.
Original post by remiremi

Please tell me the logic in our gun laws, because to me it makes absolutely zero sense. Especially when any legally owned weapon used in a crime points straight back to you, legal well stored and registered handguns were never an issue in this country.

Think you will find Michael Ryan who was responsible for the mass shooting of 16 people did so with guns that were legally registered. Bit of an issue for the people who died.
Can't we just join the USA? The first two amendments should apply here.
Handguns are arguably more dangerous due to the fact they can be concealed, so no I don't think they should be legalised (however I don't think someone who owns something like an old WW2 pistol, like a family heirloom or something, should be punished). I think the sale of guns should be illegal, but anyone who does possess one currently for a reason like I mentioned above should be able to apply for a license to keep it or be allowed to hand it in without criminal charges.

Home defence laws do frustrate me, I think people should be allowed to use any means necessary to defend their property and family from potential assailants in theory. In practise, however, there is serious provision for this to be abused. I don't think having a gun would necessarily make yourself more safe, because as others have stated the burglar will also have one. I think people should be allowed to use things like baseball bats, that are already legally available, on their own property to protect themselves though, provided they can prove that they were being robbed and they didn't just invite someone they didn't like to their house to beat them to death lol. I think lethal force is probably not excusable, but incapacitating someone so they are no longer a threat should be allowed to a certain degree.
No, we do not need weekly mass shootings like in the USA, nor does anyone in the UK need a firearm to defend themselves.

Latest

Trending

Trending