The Student Room Group

Do you believe in evolution?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
3 and always will be 3 unless there is some actual proof of anything supernatural in this world, which there isn't.
Original post by CervixPounder
Most people in religious sects are scared to dwell on self-reflection, or think about what they believe openly with themselves. I was brought up a Christian, but couldn't keep convincing myself of all the illogical or unexplained things that I was taught. The main example being, I can't convince myself that there is an after-life, as much as I would like to believe so.

Even if there is a God (I don't know but I strongly suspect there isn't), natural selection is a supremely elegant way of creating a range of different species. I refuse to believe that any sort of God would put all the evidence for evolution here in our very DNA and then expect us to believe it's all untrue.
Original post by Ladbants
Which of these theories do you believe in?

1) Creationism- God made the Earth and every animal and plant without any evolution.
2) Evolution guided by God (God made the Earth and everything through the method of evolution)
3) Evolution without God doing it

Evolution without God.

A scientist can create new species of bacteria by adding antibiotics to a sample of bacteria, without killing them all. Some will eventually mutate and evolve and become resistant to it. Hence, that antibiotic then does **** all. It's how essentially how MRSA developed - people not taking their antibiotics for the full course recommended! If this natural selection can happen in these bacteria, it can surely happen in other species.
I'd say 1 as I am a Christian,
Reply 45

1) Creationism- God made the Earth and every animal and plant without any evolution.
2) Evolution guided by God (God made the Earth and everything through the method of evolution)

3) is the only rational explanation

This post is flawed, a belief has no evidence behind it, evolution has strong consistent evidence to it.
Original post by Just a Bloke
The real beauty is that that its elegance is in itself too tragically flawed to be some supreme design. Only one to three percent of our DNA is useful, much of the other 97 percent is the byproduct of our specie's imperfect genetic transcription.

I'm not sure if that's actually true (depends how you define 'useful') but it certainly is true that we're flawed machines, put together by an automatic, intuitive, unconscious mechanism.
Reply 48
So far evolution is winning by quite a margin. Evolution with God doesn't seem to be a very popular idea compared to evolution and creationism. Any ideas why?
Original post by kangsterf
I'd say 1 as I am a Christian,

You shouldn't believe things because you're a Christian, you should be a Christian because you believe things.
So far evolution is winning by quite a margin. Evolution with God doesn't seem to be a very popular idea compared to evolution and creationism. Any ideas why?

Not wide enough.

Don't know why, I expected 2 to be much stronger at the expense of 1.
The real beauty is that that its elegance is in itself too tragically flawed to be some supreme design. Only one to three percent of our DNA is useful, much of the other 97 percent is the byproduct of our specie's imperfect genetic transcription.

That's not entirely true, it's becoming increasingly apparent that "junk DNA" does a lot more than previously thought.
3. but I would want to be 1 to piss off every condescending 18 year old atheist in here.
I utterly and wholly believe in evolution

Spoiler

In Soviet Russia evolution believes in you
4. Evolution only applies to Pokemon
Original post by fandom-queen
I utterly and wholly believe in evolution

Spoiler

Evolution is a perfect explanation for the origin of species but not so much the origin of life. Research is on-going when it comes to the latter.
The ENCODE project did challenge junk DNA as a concept. However at the same time professors such as Dan Graur have called their findings the work of 'bad technicians'.

I'm not sure if that's talking about some of the more exotic theories about its involvement in epigenetics but at the very least I was taught last year that all of the introns in eukaryotic DNA probably serve a purpose for complex life in allowing more 'experimentation' by making gene splicing and movement less likely to end in problems and also aids cell differentiation.
Say it with me - evolution, as a proven scientific theory, doesn't need belief for it to be true, valid or fact. It's factual no matter what you believe. Period.
Original post by RayApparently
Evolution is a perfect explanation for the origin of species but not so much the origin of life. Research is on-going when it comes to the latter.

exactly!

Quick Reply

Latest