The Student Room Group

I really don't know

I am going to start year 13 in a week but I still have no idea what I want to do in university which is very scary! The courses I have interest in are biology, chemistry and psychology which are probably not coincidentally the subjects I'm doing for A-level. I also got ridiculously high grades in my AS exams out of nowhere, getting all As which would make it reasonable to apply this year but I just really have no clue whether to go into science or humanities or anything. It's also annoying that my parents want me to do something really practical while I think I'd prefer to do something academic but I don't want to be homeless either (hyperbole). I've been to open days but nothing has really caught my attention. All this taking into account that I have pretty much no work experience in specific areas and my GCSEs are not very good. I've made like 10 personal statements for all completely different subjects! I feel like I'm stressing over this while I should be stressing over my A-levels. how are we supposed to make this important decision so early on!? :frown:
Do you guys have any ideas on careers that perhaps you or a friend of yours has taken that they have really enjoyed? I don't really talk to many adults with degrees and stuff apart from my teachers...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by marcobruni98
I am going to start year 13 in a week but I still have no idea what I want to do in university which is very scary! The courses I have interest in are biology, chemistry and psychology which are probably not coincidentally the subjects I'm doing for A-level. I also got ridiculously high grades in my AS exams out of nowhere, getting all As which would make it reasonable to apply this year but I just really have no clue whether to go into science or humanities or anything. It's also annoying that my parents want me to do something really practical while I think I'd prefer to do something academic but I don't want to be homeless either (hyperbole). I've been to open days but nothing has really caught my attention. All this taking into account that I have pretty much no work experience in specific areas and my GCSEs are not very good. I've made like 10 personal statements for all completely different subjects! I feel like I'm stressing over this while I should be stressing over my A-levels. how are we supposed to make this important decision so early on!? :frown:
Do you guys have any ideas on careers that perhaps you or a friend of yours has taken that they have really enjoyed? I don't really talk to many adults with degrees and stuff apart from my teachers...

Don't focus on careers (unless you're considering becoming an engineer, doctor, vet, architect etc) for now, just focus on what you'd feel you'd enjoy studying for the 3-4 years of uni.

The truth is, you can actually end up doing most careers with most degrees out there - there is only a small minority of jobs that explicitly state a subject requirement. So analyse which subjects you're good at, which subjects you enjoy, look at some university's websites for their modules, think about whether you would like delving deeper into any of your current A-level subjects or maybe branch out and do something new.

Careers wise, you can defer that for at least a few months. I'd advise getting some informal work shadowing or work placements down and if possible applying to any insight programmes/work experience programmes aimed at sixth formers - investment banks, accounting firms and law firms are particularly keen to get a sniff of early talent.

Good luck, the degree you do and career you choose don't have to match up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending