The Student Room Group

16-18 Oyster Card

Hi,

I am 18 years old and am going to start university. I will turn 19 next year (2017). Does that mean that I can apply for the 16-18 Oyster card or because I am going to university will I have to apply for the 18+ card.

Thanks
Hey there,

Since you will be going to university you are no longer eligible for the 16+ oyster card.

You are however able to get a 18+ card if you are going to a eligible university and living at London address during term time - I would just put my home address even if you live at the university since it they don't check up (here is the list: https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gotoAltEstSearchStudent.do).

A 18+ card will cost you £20 and will give you a 30 percent discount on travelcards for a week/month/year. So by purchasing a single month travelcard you will already make your money back. But if your just travelling pay-as-you-go, you might be better off using a adult oyster card or a contactless card - since these do not expire and you'll be paying adult rate anyways.

Hope that helps
I forgot to mention that if you can get your sixth form to stamp your oyster card form then you could get/renew your 16+ oyster for a year or more.

On the website it says:
"If you're a Londoner aged 18 or 19 and you're applying for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard with free bus and tram travel, you will have to print off a verification letter that will need to be a stamped by your school or college. You will need to take the stamped verification letter to a Post Office in London along with any required documentation and pay the £ 20.00 admin fee to submit your application. "
Original post by MagneticFlux
Hey there,

Since you will be going to university you are no longer eligible for the 16+ oyster card.

You are however able to get a 18+ card if you are going to a eligible university and living at London address during term time - I would just put my home address even if you live at the university since it they don't check up (here is the list: https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gotoAltEstSearchStudent.do).

A 18+ card will cost you £20 and will give you a 30 percent discount on travelcards for a week/month/year. So by purchasing a single month travelcard you will already make your money back. But if your just travelling pay-as-you-go, you might be better off using a adult oyster card or a contactless card - since these do not expire and you'll be paying adult rate anyways.

Hope that helps

Thanks. It did help.
Reply 4
Original post by MagneticFlux
I forgot to mention that if you can get your sixth form to stamp your oyster card form then you could get/renew your 16+ oyster for a year or more.

On the website it says:
"If you're a Londoner aged 18 or 19 and you're applying for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard with free bus and tram travel, you will have to print off a verification letter that will need to be a stamped by your school or college. You will need to take the stamped verification letter to a Post Office in London along with any required documentation and pay the £ 20.00 admin fee to submit your application. "

Weird I'm 19 and apparently I can't get a new 16+ Oyster card, just rang customer service.
Reply 5
Original post by username2378153

On the website it says:

Where does it say that? Can I have the link?
Original post by Tiann
Where does it say that? Can I have the link?

You're replying to a post made in 2016. Please don't bump old threads.
Reply 7
Original post by martin7
You're replying to a post made in 2016. Please don't bump old threads.

I didn't realise? And it's really not that deep, that person could still probably reply anyways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending