The Student Room Group

Why do people think people who watch anime are weird?

I love watching anime, it adds alot of spice to the mainstream westernised TV shows that I'm usually watching. I like looking at the artistic designs and bright colour palettes that most anime are accoustomed to. I like seeing stories which would never be told in western media and I like how short and sweet episodes are rather than spending an hour of my time on TV.

So people who think that anime watchers are weird, what has formed that perception?:hmmm:

Scroll to see replies

Because they are normally 60 year old men watching it in their mothers basement

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Hachik0
Because they are normally 60 year old men watching it in their mothers basement

Spoiler

I think most anime watchers are teens tbh
Nothing wrong with it. There's a few weird ones I've caught glimpses of, but all-in-all it seems interesting.

Now I need to get around to finishing Death Note.
Original post by I am Kira
I think most anime watchers are teens tbh

Trust me

You normally find Anime and My Little Pony are watched by that same group
- even bigger adult male following for My Little Pony.
Reply 5
I once asked my friend this question and her reply was "Well, why would you watch unrealistic Chinese cartoons" (I was not impressed) "that look like they're for kids but filled with perverted shots of semi naked schoolgirls?" Amongst other things.
Well since i'm a fairly pretty 18 year old girl people never guess I like anime thankfully and i'm grateful for that . This is because I don't blame those who think people who watch anime are weird; a lot of fans are creepy ugly obsessive men who are as gross as the anime they watch (oreimo, kissxsis ewww). But saying that i love anime myself. definitely not like the ones i just listed, but my faves are hunterxhunter, GINTAMA, jjba, death note, snk, sailor moon, gekkan shoujo nozaki kun and noragami. However most anime these days are garbage unfortunately because they pander to sweaty basement dwellers to make money. However, there are a lot of gems out there, that can grab you as much as western tv shows. To be quite honest I think i prefer animation over live action (both western cartoons and japanimation). I don't know why. The music is another thing that's great and the plots are really varied so that's it really.^^
Reply 7
Original post by kingdrakiwi
Well since i'm a fairly pretty 18 year old girl people never guess I like anime thankfully and i'm grateful for that . This is because I don't blame those who think people who watch anime are weird; a lot of fans are creepy ugly obsessive men who are as gross as the anime they watch (oreimo, kissxsis ewww). But saying that i love anime myself. definitely not like the ones i just listed, but my faves are hunterxhunter, GINTAMA, jjba, death note, snk, sailor moon, gekkan shoujo nozaki kun and noragami. However most anime these days are garbage unfortunately because they pander to sweaty basement dwellers to make money. However, there are a lot of gems out there, that can grab you as much as western tv shows. To be quite honest I think i prefer animation over live action (both western cartoons and japanimation). I don't know why. The music is another thing that's great and the plots are really varied so that's it really.^^

I like animation more becuase the writer/animater can fully show what a character or an object represents which isn't that possible with live shows. Plus I just like the bright colours its mopre visually stimulating

I think thats a massive generalisation you're making, some anime are designed for those people but not everyone watches it:tongue:
I like animation more becuase the writer/animater can fully show what a character or an object represents which isn't that possible with live shows. Plus I just like the bright colours its mopre visually stimulating

I think thats a massive generalisation you're making, some anime are designed for those people but not everyone watches it:tongue:

Yeah I agree that animation is definitely more visually stimulating and that they can be more..expressive? i think. And the second part, I suppose you're right. But those types of fans ruin the image of anime fans in general. Regardless I think anime has something for everyone, if those with reservations about anime put them aside they'd likely find at least one they'd enjoy.
Cause they aren't intelligent enough to know the difference between anime and hentai.As if we haven't seen weird or sexual things in Western culture.
Anime certainly attracts a certain kind of person, but I can't quite put my finger on why, exactly.
I love watching anime, it adds alot of spice to the mainstream westernised TV shows that I'm usually watching. I like looking at the artistic designs and bright colour palettes that most anime are accoustomed to. I like seeing stories which would never be told in western media and I like how short and sweet episodes are rather than spending an hour of my time on TV.

So people who think that anime watchers are weird, what has formed that perception?:hmmm:

The fact that a lot are? A lot of the people I know who do are going nowhere, socially inept and have bad personal hygiene.

Stereotypes form because of patterns, they don't emerge out of the blue.
Reply 12
Original post by geoking
The fact that a lot are? A lot of the people I know who do are going nowhere, socially inept and have bad personal hygiene.

Stereotypes form because of patterns, they don't emerge out of the blue.

I'm going uni, i'm social awkward but that was befire getting into anime and I shower and brush my teeth every day.
I know tons of normal people who like anime inclusing cute girls:u:
I'm going uni, i'm social awkward but that was befire getting into anime and I shower and brush my teeth every day.
I know tons of normal people who like anime inclusing cute girls:u:

I have a feeling that what I call cute and what you do may be worlds apart....
Reply 14
Original post by geoking
I have a feeling that what I call cute and what you do may be worlds apart....

Lol maybe but I've seen loads of girls on instagram posting anime related stuff:tongue:
but imo weird = cool
so anime watchers are cool
I am not a full time anime watcher but a bit of Ghibli didn't do any1 any harm did it :mmm:
Reply 16
I like anime and I'm weird.

Not because of the anime though
I dont think so :mmm: i love anime :ahee:
Weird=special and unique :tongue:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love anime - it's a part of my life. I think that the people who gave that weird perception, well, are the people who make anime themselves. You see, Hayao Miyazaki (the famous guy from Studio Ghibli I think, who made Spirited Away), said that "Anime was a mistake" - because of the weeaboos. Weeaboos are those guys (and girls) that are obsessed with anime, and may or may not buy anime pillows and other goods I hope you don't know... Anyway, many of those kinds of people seem deranged - and just so you know, I don't think Miyazaki-sama thought anime was really a mistake. So in a sense, you could say the weeaboos are the ones who started the perception.

I don't think the stereotype is fair at all to the majority of people who watch anime because I have never met ANYONE who is that obsessed in my life.

Btw, Anyone wanting to give anime a try, watch any one of these:
Code Geass
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

:angelwings:
Original post by Kiritsugu
I love anime - it's a part of my life. I think that the people who gave that weird perception, well, are the people who make anime themselves. You see, Hayao Miyazaki (the famous guy from Studio Ghibli I think, who made Spirited Away), said that "Anime was a mistake" - because of the weeaboos. Weeaboos are those guys (and girls) that are obsessed with anime, and may or may not buy anime pillows and other goods I hope you don't know... Anyway, many of those kinds of people seem deranged - and just so you know, I don't think Miyazaki-sama thought anime was really a mistake. So in a sense, you could say the weeaboos are the ones who started the perception.

I don't think the stereotype is fair at all to the majority of people who watch anime because I have never met ANYONE who is that obsessed in my life.

Btw, Anyone wanting to give anime a try, watch any one of these:
Code Geass
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

:angelwings:

Damn man I was going to mention Miyazaki. He said it's suffering because its full of(to use the correct term) 'otaku' which is exactly as you said. To be honest, I don't disagree with him too much as some people do take it too far.

Btw I think you should add hunter x hunter 2011 to that list :wink:

Latest