The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chrisdale98
I did it an hour ago, I think their conversion system is a little deflated mind.

VR 730
QR 600
AR 710

concerned about QR obviously, praying its as easy as some are saying :smile:

how was it for you?

could you please help me with VR, I am struggling and my exam is on monday! do you have any tips and tricks as you got such an amazing score. well done. do you read the text quickly as in the first sentence of every line or...?

by the way i heard that QR is easier by quite a bit:smile:
I did it an hour ago, I think their conversion system is a little deflated mind.

VR 730
QR 600
AR 710

how was it for you?

From when i did my UKCAT last year the QR was lovely, easier than the official mocks, the only challenge is trying to understand what the data means QUICKLY, once you achieve this, the maths is straightforward. BTW......isc medical book QR is a joke, WAY harder than the real thing
Original post by ASTK98
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but I think your AS grades put you at a massive disadvantage. I'm speaking based on personal experience btw. I got BCCC in AS levels last year and got 4 rejections before interview from med schools. Although you should still give it a shot; convince your teachers to predict you 3As and don't put your AS grades on your UCAS form (I wasn't going to but my school made me fsr). Just make sure you turn those grades around in year 13 especially Chemistry cos it's the most important subject for Med, good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick question, if you have achieved A2 grades do you need to put your AS grades on the UCAS form? Thanks
Original post by HarveySpecter97
Quick question, if you have achieved A2 grades do you need to put your AS grades on the UCAS form? Thanks

I don't think so. You can just list your final/overall grade for that subject if you want, they don't really care about break downs tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
I don't think so. You can just list your final/overall grade for that subject if you want, they don't really care about break downs tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool thanks, nice picture btw.

VR 730
QR 600
AR 710

how was it for you?

Mine went horribly, VR 600 QR 650 and AR 650 as well, so if the real ones aren't as easy, I think my real ones are going to be horrible
How did you get that good at VR?
I skim each paragraph in a few secs so I know where to look and then just look for keywords and eliminate where I can :smile: tbh everything I use is back a few pages on this forum haha (replying to tinbite1 and rainbow machine)
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know how to improve QR because the timing is a real problem for me?
i skim each paragraph in a few secs so i know where to look and then just look for keywords and eliminate where i can :smile: tbh everything i use is back a few pages on this forum haha (replying to tinbite1 and rainbow machine)

thanks a lot:smile: much appreciated
Original post by HarveySpecter97

If they have been certificated, yes you do as they then stand as an official qualification. If they haven't then you do not need to. If you have achieved grades however, I would've thought your AS grades wouldn't matter either way as you've already got full A Levels.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Awsomedude
I wanted to ask fellow medical students here if these results could allow me to enter the universities I will be writing down here:

GCSE:
Eng lang & lit = BB
Geography= A
Double Science=BB
Maths=A*
Further maths= A*
Business=A
Religion Education=A*
French=B
BTEC IT= Merit

AS Level ( MOST UNIS SAY THEY CHECK YOUR A LEVEL PREDICTED GRADES):
Maths = B - disappointed
Chemistry= D- such a letdown
biology= B - very happy
business= A! throwing this away though

I will be applying for:
-Manchester
-Leicster
-SGUL
-Queens mary

I will be sitting the UKCAT on the 16th September, but I am having major problems in the VR and QR sections.

please state whether I am at a disadvantage in any area, though my personal statement seems fantastic! Thank you in advance, and good luck to us all future medics

If you feel like you're personal statement is a strong point, by all means apply to universities that are Personal statement heavy (like Bristol) or alternatively try to ACE your UKCAT and then you could try and have a go at the UKCAT heavy universities.
Reply 3751
I'm taking my UKCAT late September and its short notice as I only decided to do it now. I can't access medify or Kaplan but plan to buy the 1000 questions book. Has anyone tried this before and done well without access to these sites ?
I got 640 average. I am so disappointed. This is the hardest exam I have ever taken and I have a masters from Imperial*:ashamed:* *
Does anyone know the recommended time to be spend per question? For QR, VR and AR?
I keep getting either half or just over half (literally like 1 or 2 questions over half) on VR questions is this good or bad?
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Does anyone know the recommended time to be spend per question? For QR, VR and AR?

There's not really any set time I think. The questions vary a lot in difficulty so it's just about using the time u save on easy questions on the harder ones. And skipping things is really important too. The http://completemedguide.com has timing break downs for each ukcat section but I also applied the above principle.
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to all of this and to be honest I don't even know if I'm on the right thread. Anyway I am a graduate with a 2:1 in a non science related degree. I have decided to take the UKCAT to see if I stand a chance if I apply for a density degree.

I achieved ABB back in 2012 for non science A levels and have been advised to take bio and chem A level in 2017, I have been predicted A's for these.

My main question is what sort of UKCAT score I need?! Is it the same regardless if im applying for density or medicine/I'm already a graduate in another discipline. Sorry if this has come up before but I've tried to look through a lot of this thread but 198 pages is a lot to go through!
how can i get better scores in situational judgement? i've read the gmc good medical practice booklet but i didn't really remember most of it when doing q's? should i memorize it? any tips on the importance questions..
Original post by mm_7
how can i get better scores in situational judgement? i've read the gmc good medical practice booklet but i didn't really remember most of it when doing q's? should i memorize it? any tips on the importance questions..

There are usually key aspects that you can consider when you do the sjt section. They have a list of it, and after a few questions you can see the same themes popping up, e.g. confidentiality, competence (so like recognising how much and what work you can take on and do), honesty, team involvement, coping with pressure, distressed patients. In the scenarios you'll usually come across the main issue, and then it'll give you other, less important factors to try and distract. Stay focussed on the main problem you're being asked to deal with.
I know this one is easier said than done but think about what you should do, instead of what you would do.
It is usually things like patient well being, their safety and confidentiality that will come first when considering a problem. I don't think memorizing the booklet will help tbh... it's hard to apply the official sounding guidelines to actual scenarios off the top of your head. If you have medify, they will usually explain why the answer is wrong or partially right.
As for importance questions, try to think of how relevant the factor you are considering is to the situation - does it address the scenario directly and solve a problem, or is it unrelated and a distractor?
Hope that helps!
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality

QR: 36 secs per question
VR: 27 secs per question
AR: 13 secs per question

Quick Reply

Latest