The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Science Foundation Year - One of the easiest routes into University.

Scroll to see replies

I am doing a foundation year in investment/finance. Would I be eligible to apply to different universities after my first year, assuming I get a decent percentage across modules (70%+)?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 21
Hello would a science foundation year be a possible route to physiotherapy?
What sort of qualification do you recieve after? Level 3?
Reply 22
Original post by MatthewJackson11
I am doing a foundation year in investment/finance. Would I be eligible to apply to different universities after my first year, assuming I get a decent percentage across modules (70%+)?

Probably not the top Universities, but most other Universities should allow it.
Some Universities are pretty stubborn. Example: They'll require decent A-Levels (CDD) along with a decent foundation course percentage (60%+). Although IMO, it's far easier to get 60%+ in the foundation year (at least at Kingston University/College) than getting CDD at A-Levels. I don't see the point of them asking you to do both. Only one should be enough, but whatever~

It's best to ring other Universities you're interested in and ask if they accept the Kingston University foundation course you're doing. Realistically, if they say no, and you're desperate to enter that University to do a specific course they offer, then doing a Kingston Foundation course isn't for you.
However if a couple of Universities you ring say 'yes' if you get X% doing a Kingston foundation course (to do your desired course), then make sure to apply for UCAS again. You only lose out on ~£20 (UCAS entry fee), so there really isn't much to lose and all to gain. Even if you don't get any (un)conditional offers, you can still 'wing it' during clearing. You never know what could happen~ The best thing about clearing IMO is that they don't interview you in person and they 'rush' things especially if you apply during results day.
If that University has told you they accept Kingston Foundation course you're doing (before results day/clearing process) and if you get 70%+ in all modules, there is a very good chance during clearing you get accepted.

Original post by Ezpara
Hello would a science foundation year be a possible route to physiotherapy?

I don't believe Kingston University have are Physiotherapy science course.
However Kingston University has a joint faculty with St George who offer that course.
"The Faculty of Health, Social Care and Education is a joint enterprise of Kingston University and St George’s, University of London. "

It's best to ring up other Universities (like St George's) to ask them if they accept Kingston Science Foundation year as a route into their University to do Physiotherapy.
Original post by Ezpara
What sort of qualification do you recieve after? Level 3?

Yeah, it's Level 3.
You don't get a certificate for completing this Science Foundation year course though. But it can still be used on UCAS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alchemist.
Probably not the top Universities, but most other Universities should allow it.
Some Universities are pretty stubborn. Example: They'll require decent A-Levels (CDD) along with a decent foundation course percentage (60%+). Although IMO, it's far easier to get 60%+ in the foundation year (at least at Kingston University/College) than getting CDD at A-Levels. I don't see the point of them asking you to do both. Only one should be enough, but whatever~

It's best to ring other Universities you're interested in and ask if they accept the Kingston University foundation course you're doing. Realistically, if they say no, and you're desperate to enter that University to do a specific course they offer, then doing a Kingston Foundation course isn't for you.
However if a couple of Universities you ring say 'yes' if you get X% doing a Kingston foundation course (to do your desired course), then make sure to apply for UCAS again. You only lose out on ~£20 (UCAS entry fee), so there really isn't much to lose and all to gain. Even if you don't get any (un)conditional offers, you can still 'wing it' during clearing. You never know what could happen~ The best thing about clearing IMO is that they don't interview you in person and they 'rush' things especially if you apply during results day.
If that University has told you they accept Kingston Foundation course you're doing (before results day/clearing process) and if you get 70%+ in all modules, there is a very good chance during clearing you get accepted.

I don't believe Kingston University have are Physiotherapy science course.
However Kingston University has a joint faculty with St George who offer that course.
"The Faculty of Health, Social Care and Education is a joint enterprise of Kingston University and St George’s, University of London. "

It's best to ring up other Universities (like St George's) to ask them if they accept Kingston Science Foundation year as a route into their University to do Physiotherapy.

Yeah, it's Level 3.
You don't get a certificate for completing this Science Foundation year course though. But it can still be used on UCAS.

When you say top University, what do you mean? Top 10? Top 20?

Also does the course I do after my foundation year have to be exactly the same as the foundation year course. For example, after Finance/Investment could I do Finance or Economics?

Also, I am at Coventry, in the top 50 Uni's
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
When you say top University, what do you mean? Top 10? Top 20?

I've searched around and I'd say Top 30 usually don't accept a foundation course without good A-Levels too. Depends on the course too. For instance: Pharmacy, Dentistry or Medicine -> You probably can't get into a Top 50 University with just 70%+ Kingston Foundation science degree.

Also does the course I do after my foundation year have to be exactly the same as the foundation year course. For example, after Finance/Investment could I do Finance or Economics?

It shouldn't have to be the exact same. So yeah, your examples should be fine. Speak to the University directly though (I don't want to accidentally mislead you). As I can only speak for my science foundation course. We were allowed to switch to pretty much anything (within Kingston University) aside from Pharmacy with just 40%+.

Also, I am at Coventry, in the top 50 Uni's+

That should greatly help you get into other Universities if you get good marks during the foundation year.
Speak to other Universities directly and make sure to apply via UCAS.
As most other Universities will still want to interview you.
(edited 7 years ago)
What are the ages of pupils taking this course?
Reply 26
Original post by Jamster118
What are the ages of pupils taking this course?

I'd say most are 18-21.
I didn't see many mature students (25+) when I was studying there.
I'd say most are 18-21.
I didn't see many mature students (25+) when I was studying there.

What grades did you get accepted with and when did you get a response?
Reply 28
What grades did you get accepted with and when did you get a response?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=66222155&t=4195347#post66222155

^ I wrote it in that post.
What percentage of students take up accommodation at Kingston ?
Reply 30
What percentage of students take up accommodation at Kingston ?

That's a strange question to ask...

I have no clue. I don't go around asking people if they are living in the Kingston University accomodation.
I only have like 10 friends in my course. Hence my sample size would be too small to give you an answer.

It's probably better to ask the University directly. They may have some statistics.

Hi,

I have just started the Science Foundation Year - all the Biomedical Science, Forensic Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Medical Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Science students (with the SFY) are studying at Kingston College, we are mixed in the same classes.

However, I have not seen any Pharmacy students (with the foundation year), I think they are being taught at Kingston University (Penrhyn Road campus).

I think I have asked this before, but I would just like to confirm fully, are the students who are studying Pharmacy (with foundation year) studying the exact same modules as us (e.g. Pharmacology with Foundation Year, or Pharmaceutical Science with Foundation Year).

The modules I am studying are:

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics for Science
Skills (Similar to Physics)

Are the students who are studying Pharmacy (via. Science Foundation Year), studying these exact same modules?

I would just like to confirm this, so I am aware of this.

Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by LionKing101
Hi,

I have just started the Science Foundation Year - all the Biomedical Science, Forensic Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Medical Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Science students (with the SFY) are studying at Kingston College, we are mixed in the same classes.

However, I have not seen any Pharmacy students (with the foundation year), I think they are being taught at Kingston University (Penrhyn Road campus).

I think I have asked this before, but I would just like to confirm fully, are the students who are studying Pharmacy (with foundation year) studying the exact same modules as us (e.g. Pharmacology with Foundation Year, or Pharmaceutical Science with Foundation Year).

The modules I am studying are:

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics for Science
Skills (Similar to Physics)

Are the students who are studying Pharmacy (via. Science Foundation Year), studying these exact same modules?

I would just like to confirm this, so I am aware of this.

Thank you.

I think you've misunderstood a little.
The courses you have displayed are all entry routes into Pharmacy, as long as you get overall 70%+ (preferably including 70%+ in Chemistry and Biology).
Additionally, you must let your personal tutor know ASAP that you wish to progress/transfer into Phamracy 1st year.
They will try and get you a spot then (as long as you get the 70%+).

Note:
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/pharmaceutical-chemical-sciences/
^That course is a 'Pharmacy foundation' specific course. They do the same modules as 1st year University students. It's a 2 year foundation course that gets your direct entry into 2nd year Pharmacy (this is only taught at the Univesity, not the college).

Whereas the Science foundation year, if you get 70%+ in any of the science courses (and if you've spoken to your personal tutor about transferring to Pharmacy), then you can get a spot into 1st year Pharmacy.
I think you've misunderstood a little.
The courses you have displayed are all entry routes into Pharmacy, as long as you get overall 70%+ (preferably including 70%+ in Chemistry and Biology).
Additionally, you must let your personal tutor know ASAP that you wish to progress/transfer into Phamracy 1st year.
They will try and get you a spot then (as long as you get the 70%+).

Note:
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/pharmaceutical-chemical-sciences/
^That course is a 'Pharmacy foundation' specific course. They do the same modules as 1st year University students. It's a 2 year foundation course that gets your direct entry into 2nd year Pharmacy (this is only taught at the Univesity, not the college).

Whereas the Science foundation year, if you get 70%+ in any of the science courses (and if you've spoken to your personal tutor about transferring to Pharmacy), then you can get a spot into 1st year Pharmacy.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have a personal tutor as of yet, so I am not sure as to whether we will get one later in the year? We are currently just attending lectures etc. labs.

By the way, this is just a general question.

Let's say, a student completes the foundation year, then progresses to study Biomedical Science or Pharmacology, and studies 1 year of Biomedical Science/Pharmacology and attains 70%+, would there be a possibility of transferring onto MPharm.

My second question is, if a student completes the science foundation year, and achieves the percentage (i.e. 65%-70%), would they be able to progress onto the FdSc, Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences (2nd year) for foundation year.

The reason I asked the question about Pharmacy was because on the very first day of induction when there was a talk in the lecture room, there was a mention of all science degree pathways apart from Pharmacy. I am assuming this is because students who are studying Pharmacy (with the SFY) are studying in the university, wheres others are doing in the college - although they are the same modules?

So, 70%+ is generally required.

Many thanks,
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have a personal tutor as of yet, so I am not sure as to whether we will get one later in the year? We are currently just attending lectures etc. labs.

You'll be assigned one (should be inside your online timetable soon- keep checking Moodle).
If not, just speak to a member of staff about it. Your Skills/Biology/Chemistry teacher - one of them should know.

By the way, this is just a general question.

Let's say, a student completes the foundation year, then progresses to study Biomedical Science or Pharmacology, and studies 1 year of Biomedical Science/Pharmacology and attains 70%+, would there be a possibility of transferring onto MPharm.

I know this is possible via Pharmacentical Science or Pharmacology. I don't know if you can direct transfer onto Pharmacy with other courses (after just doing 1st year).
If you do transfer, you'll start MPharm (Pharmacy) from year 1.

My second question is, if a student completes the science foundation year, and achieves the percentage (i.e. 65%-70%), would they be able to progress onto the FdSc, Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences (2nd year) for foundation year.

No, you most likely would not. That is a dedicated 2 year Pharmacy foundation course.
If you were accepted into the Science Foundation Year, that just means you were rejected from that course and they'll probably never consider you for that foundation course.
As I've stated before, you should go straight into 1st Year MPharm (Pharmacy) if you get 70%+ in the Science Foundation Year, as long as you have spoken to your personal tutor/adminstrator about it.
'Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences' is only meant for students who just missed out on MPharm (Pharmacy).
Example: CCC at A-Levels.
In that course, you just need 40% (both years) to progress onto MPharm (Pharmacy) 2nd year.
(I think I've repeated this point several times now. I hope you understand now. Please speak to a member of staff if you need further clarification)

The reason I asked the question about Pharmacy was because on the very first day of induction when there was a talk in the lecture room, there was a mention of all science degree pathways apart from Pharmacy. I am assuming this is because students who are studying Pharmacy (with the SFY) are studying in the university, wheres others are doing in the college - although they are the same modules?

As I've already stated, Science Foundation Year is not a dedicated foundation course for MPharm (Pharmacy). However they will consider it if you get 70%+.
Nobody doing the Science Foundation Year is guarenteed a place into MPharm (Pharmacy), regardless of what they get. But Kingston isn't stupid enough to reject somebody applying for MPharm (Pharmacy) if they've got 70%+ in all the modules during the Science Foundation Year. As you can also apply to other Univerisites into MPharm (Pharmacy) via this foundation route
Example: "Science Foundation Year: (by approved colleges/universities) require an overall score of 75% overall, including 75% in chemistry modules."
So it's possible via Kingston Science Foundation Year to get into Hertfordshire MPharm (Pharmacy) too. You'll just need slightly higher (75% instead of 70%).

P.S:
University has started, so I may no longer reply.
If you are a student studying at Kingston University, please speak to a member of staff if you have any more questions.
This thread is supposed to help people who want to apply/are considering applying. Not for those who have already applied and been accepted. As you should have access to University staff to help you get more accurate answers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
am currently studying GCSE English and maths and level 2 (extended) applied science BTEC. I'd like to study access to science next year at college,then, study biomedical science but I don't know if I can study it at university with this qualification that I'll get by the end of this year or no. Could u help me with this please as I'm very nervous and don't know what to do
Can I still apply for this course ??
Reply 36
Original post by _poori
am currently studying GCSE English and maths and level 2 (extended) applied science BTEC. I'd like to study access to science next year at college,then, study biomedical science but I don't know if I can study it at university with this qualification that I'll get by the end of this year or no. Could u help me with this please as I'm very nervous and don't know what to do
Can I still apply for this course ??

They will probably reccomend that you do A-Level first.
They may ask that you apply via UCAS. Your school should help you set up UCAS.

However, if you want to skip doing that & just directly apply into the Kingston Science foundation course, ring them up now!
No harm in trying. If they reject you, you can always try again later during clearing. It's not like they'll 'blacklist' you for trying :P

Contact info:
Kingston University Admissions

For general enquiries about applications and admissions.

Tel: 0844 855 2177 (for callers in the UK only) or +44 (0)20 8303 9932 (for callers outside the UK)

Source: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/contact-us/#studying
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there,what exam boards for biology and chemistry should revise over the summer before I start my foundation year??
Hi there,
What exam board should I revise for chemistry, biology and maths for my foundation year?
Hey. Does anyone have the foundation bio 2015/2016 paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending