The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoJoBonetto
I am less excited about the EO role because I have been an EO for eleven years but I am profoundly fed up with my current post so it is.... Fortuitous lol

Can I ask how already being in the civil service affects your application?

I imagine you're much more aware of certain buzzwords and behaviours they're looking for. But is there a separate application for internal candidates or do you have to go through the same BS we all do?
Original post by Jamiebb1993
Can I ask how already being in the civil service affects your application?

I imagine you're much more aware of certain buzzwords and behaviours they're looking for. But is there a separate application for internal candidates or do you have to go through the same BS we all do?

I applied as an external candidate as I was anticipating redundancy and it said if you apply as an internal candidate and have a break in service any offer can be withdrawn so I cannot answer your question. I went through the same process everyone else did. This year I am intending to apply as an internal candidate so will see what the difference is.

I was more aware of the civil service competency framework but I still fail a fair number of application sifts internally like most people because it is a very subjective process.

I know the grading structure and a rough idea of salaries but different departments pay different amounts and give different annual leave amounts. I have had a few civil service interviews too, but these vary also.

I have work experience plus voluntary work so that helps with applications.
Original post by JoJoBonetto
I haven't been offered one yet but it depends where it is and travel costs.

Ah I see
Original post by imx
Hi guys! I came on here after seeing the scheme this year isn't open yet.

I applied this time last year to the government economic service, which is one of the analytical roles, but failed at the final hurdle of the FSAC.

It must have only been a marginal failure though as I've been offered one of the direct appointment places as an assistant economist (not FS, but a similar role), as part of this I'm expected to reapplying to the Fast Stream and pass. Hopefully I'll get that bit further this year :smile:

How long did it take between you responding to the direct appointment email and receiving an offer?
i think it is opening a bit later this year. you can register your interest now. but i have been unable to register fully online at this time
Reply 85
Original post by DunderMiffles
How long did it take between you responding to the direct appointment email and receiving an offer?

Just been reading the past few pages, and I'm in the same situation! It's still pretty vague at this point.

I'd be interested in hearing how long it takes to be made an offer as well if anyone has any information.
Reply 86
I second the above question. Anyone got any time-frames for a typical application process?

Also feels weird to be back on TSR after 3 years at uni!
Application process for fast stream for me was around end September/early October last year for my tests etc. I found out I was successful probably around November although some schemes I was immediately successful for, so some earlier. Because I am dyslexic I had an orientation visit to the assessment centre in early December to meet with someone and discuss any reasonable adjustments. I did my assessment centre end of February and did the band narrowing torment until Easter when I was knocked out with a score of 12.12. I had the direct appointment scheme email last week and am waiting.

I don't know timescales for successful candidates.
I graduated in 1999 so can out weird quite a few folks.
Original post by cabluigi
I second the above question. Anyone got any time-frames for a typical application process?

Also feels weird to be back on TSR after 3 years at uni!

They are apparently changing it this year so previous years application time frames won't be indicitive of this years.
Ho ho ho, good luck all.
Is the whole process changing? Last year there wasn't a "video interview" before the FSAC, but that seems to be the case now? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply
Original post by vbenguiat
Is the whole process changing? Last year there wasn't a "video interview" before the FSAC, but that seems to be the case now? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply

It was a full day assessment so I guess they changed it.

Absolute disaster for me. I'm dreadful at video interviews - I come across awkward.
Is this thread still active? Going to apply for the SDIP when applications open on 3rd November
Reply 95
Applied for the first time last year, got through to the FSAC in April and didn't pass. Had very little sleep due to nerves the night before and it was my first ever assessment centre. The report I received was very thorough and I definitely know where to do better when I apply again. It changed me as a person and has made me more confident! I also need to make sure I don't do a half-arsed attempt at the final exercise for the e-Tray as I missed bits out and was heavily marked down. I didn't put my full effort into it as I didn't think I'd get through to the FSAC, was suprised when I did.
Original post by Kneale
Applied for the first time last year, got through to the FSAC in April and didn't pass. Had very little sleep due to nerves the night before and it was my first ever assessment centre. The report I received was very thorough and I definitely know where to do better when I apply again. It changed me as a person and has made me more confident! I also need to make sure I don't do a half-arsed attempt at the final exercise for the e-Tray as I missed bits out and was heavily marked down. I didn't put my full effort into it as I didn't think I'd get through to the FSAC, was suprised when I did.

My experience mirrors yours exactly except mine was February. I scored 12.12

Yes it has changed so I believe there is no numerical and verbal reasoning test at the start. The written part of the e-tray has been removed, and replaced with a video interview - which removes the interview at FSAC.
So not just small changes, they've made some pretty radical changes. If the Verbal and Numerical Reasoning tests aren't included with the "online selection questionnaires" and the FSAC is being reduced to half a day, then the whole structure of the FSAC is being changed as well. So the reasoning tests will either be removed or included in the assessment centre in some way?

These are all clearly changes they've made following civil service reform and the "Bridge Report" regarding a lack of diversity in the civil service. Very interesting.
Original post by Magnum Opus
Yes it has changed so I believe there is no numerical and verbal reasoning test at the start. The written part of the e-tray has been removed, and replaced with a video interview - which removes the interview at FSAC.

What's your source?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending