The Student Room Group

What was the worst thing you did at medical school?

I just read a thread where the OP had skipped a placement then lied about it and got in trouble with the medical school, and it reminded me of a really embarrassing incident as a student (only 2 years ago!).

I was caught by one of the smoking officers smoking outside the hospital (in a very quiet part with no one else around though I appreciate it was still on the grounds!), he took my details (think I was so terrified that I handed them over instead of lying and saying I was a relative) and told the medical school. I was given a minor "concern" point and embarrassingly had to discuss it at my viva... but overall no harm done! I still cringe thinking about it though.

What was your biggest faux pas as a student?

Scroll to see replies

I doin't think anybody actually calls it "medical school" here in the UK
Original post by sleepysnooze

What else do we call it?
I said 'bloody hell' in an OSCE and got a concern form about. Pretty dumb
I mean, re the skipping placement thing I don't think I knew anyone who didn't do that regularly. I never heard of anyone getting punished though.

Obviously I've done the classic make a hash of taking blood in a patient on aspirin/warfarin and given them a huge haematoma. So guilty.

Can't really think of anything else personally. I kept my nose out of trouble with the med school anyway!
Reply 5

Pretty much everybody calls it "medical school" here in the UK
I repeated first year, as I didn't put the effort in (hardly unique I guess)

Wrote a joke in my portfolio and forgot to delete it when submitting it (which got a complaint, and a meeting)

Someone on our year got suspended (but stayed on) for telling the anatomy demonstrator that our cadaver had "nice tits."
I killed a man
Original post by Anonymous
I just read a thread where the OP had skipped a placement then lied about it and got in trouble with the medical school, and it reminded me of a really embarrassing incident as a student (only 2 years ago!).

I was caught by one of the smoking officers smoking outside the hospital (in a very quiet part with no one else around though I appreciate it was still on the grounds!), he took my details (think I was so terrified that I handed them over instead of lying and saying I was a relative) and told the medical school. I was given a minor "concern" point and embarrassingly had to discuss it at my viva... but overall no harm done! I still cringe thinking about it though.

What was your biggest faux pas as a student?

On my placement I accidentally gave an old lady a morphine drip instead of a saline one.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Sat in the consultant's chair when he offered it to me. The GMC called me in for disrespecting my elders. Med students should never sit down on placement.
Original post by Beska
Pretty much everybody calls it "medical school" here in the UK

nahhhh. no they don't. you've been watching too much scrubs. or something like that. I mean, I studied law at uni - nobody called *that* "law school" - nobody was that pretentious
Reply 11
nahhhh. no they don't. you've been watching too much scrubs. or something like that. I mean, I studied law at uni - nobody called *that* "law school" - nobody was that pretentious

I hope you're being sarcastic... :h:
Original post by That Bearded Man

Someone on our year got suspended (but stayed on) for telling the anatomy demonstrator that our cadaver had "nice tits."

Setting aside how much of a douche they are for making that kind of comment, why the hell did they say that to the demonstrator of all people? Didn't they realise that they're on the staff and in a position of authority?

What an absolute moron...

"The place for medical students to discuss all things about the course from work load to applying for jobs and everything "

i.e. stop bothering us with this crap. It's called medical school, now go away.
Original post by Democracy
Setting aside how much of a douche they are for making that kind of comment, why the hell did they say that to the demonstrator of all people? Didn't they realise that they're on the staff and in a position of authority?

What an absolute moron...

"The place for medical students to discuss all things about the course from work load to applying for jobs and everything "

i.e. stop bothering us with this crap. It's called medical school, now go away.

Even better, it wasn't even like "lad banter" - the demonstrator was female.

Plus he was the President of one of our religious societies last year

.. Except for everyone.
Pretended to converse with the fake skeleton dummy in the corner and I didnt realise my professor was behind me :ashamed2::ashamed:
Reply 16
I dropped a baby while on a GP placement.

The baby was fine, thankfully, but I did get a complaint.
Original post by Nessmuk

Bit harsh, it was accidental

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Nessmuk

????

Erm? You realise you're responding to medics and med students in here right?

If they don't call it med school who would?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending