The Student Room Group

Scholarships question

im trying to look for scholarships for UK students but the cambridge trust website says for undergraduates it excludes them for UK/EU students.

are there no scholarships for UK students
Nope. There is financial aid available such as the Cambridge bursary which is dependent upon household income. Colleges will have their individual funds but there is always certain criteria for these - check with the college/s you're interested in. Don't forget your fees are covered by a student finance loan and you can get help towards maintenance costs from them too (again, amount dependent upon household income).
Reply 2
Original post by james1221212
im trying to look for scholarships for UK students but the cambridge trust website says for undergraduates it excludes them for UK/EU students.

As per Paralove, colleges do award some financial prizes but they are never significant amounts. As a UK student your tuition fee and maintenance loans are you main financial resource, plus the bursary if you are from a low income family.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/uk/

Also, keep in mind that living costs at Cambridge are among the lowest of any UK university. Rent is particularly low, in part due to the short terms.

As @Paralove & @jneill said.
And it's not just Cambridge. I don't think there're many universities in uk that offers scholarship to home student on undergraduate course. That's where student loan system comes in, along with mean-tested bursary schemes at each uni.
Each undergraduate place for home/EU student is subsidised by the government already, so universities would rather want to use the available funds to support international students with scholarship who have to pay full international tuition fee (plus college fee, in case of cambridge) which is much more expensive than tuition fee for home/EU students.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
As per Paralove, colleges do award some financial prizes but they are never significant amounts. As a UK student your tuition fee and maintenance loans are you main financial resource, plus the bursary if you are from a low income family.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/uk/

Also, keep in mind that living costs at Cambridge are among the lowest of any UK university. Rent is particularly low, in part due to the short terms.

How much would you say the rent is per academic year on average?
Reply 5
Original post by metrize
How much would you say the rent is per academic year on average?

Cambridge provides budget guidance :wink:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/living-costs
Original post by vincrows

And it's not just Cambridge. I don't think there're many universities in uk that offers scholarship to home student on undergraduate course.

Aberystwyth do, upto £2000.
Reply 7
You might find that interesting although it's for Christ's college (I guess it's similar to other colleges)
3500 pounds from cambridge bursary
700 pounds rent rebate
120 pounds book grant
4320 pounds and if you're the best in your year then +1000 pounds
More information here (well for Christ but there are similar to other colleges ... I guess)

Costs:
953 (room fee/ term)*3=2859
162 (kitchen fixed charge/term)*3=486
300 (for meals / term) *3=900
So 4245 pounds.
You should also consider the price of your books and your personal expenses but the latter is up to you .
I don't really know how much the books cost .
So basically living expenses are pretty much covered and then you have the student loan covering your fees .
Pound plunges (thank you brexit , I know you didn't mean to help me) so it'll be easy to pay the rest with my 4500 euro .

No Cambridge ones, but for certain subjects (e.g. engineering) you might be able to find external ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending