The Student Room Group

Worth reapplying?

Hey,

this year I achieved A*CD in my A levels and got a clearing spot for Maths next year. This specific uni is a non-RG and isn't a uni that I love (Ive visited and I liked it but it wasn't my favourite). Im doing a gap year and studying FM during it, and hoping to get an A at least. Do you think I should reapply to some RG groups that i really liked? Would they accept A*ACD? If I retook some exams then I still think the best I would get is A*CC.. so not much difference there. Is it worth it? or should I stick with the uni place ive got? Thx
Original post by Anonymous557
Hey,

this year I achieved A*CD in my A levels and got a clearing spot for Maths next year. This specific uni is a non-RG and isn't a uni that I love (Ive visited and I liked it but it wasn't my favourite). Im doing a gap year and studying FM during it, and hoping to get an A at least. Do you think I should reapply to some RG groups that i really liked? Would they accept A*ACD? If I retook some exams then I still think the best I would get is A*CC.. so not much difference there. Is it worth it? or should I stick with the uni place ive got? Thx

email the universities first and ask what their resit policies are, then make a decision.
Hey,

Of course you should re-apply - what do you have to lose? Have a read of this (particularly the last paragraph) and, as above, email your chosen universities to be certain on their re-sit/extra year regulations.

And why is A*CC the highest you can get with re-sits?
Original post by macromicro
Of course you should re-apply - what do you have to lose? Have a read of this (particularly the last paragraph) and, as above, email your chosen universities to be certain on their re-sit/extra year regulations.

And why is A*CC the highest you can get with re-sits?

Thank you. It's just that I risk losing the place I have, which I may not be able to get again. And I just believe in the subject i got a C in I really tried my hardest and dont think I could've done any better if I tried. And the D grade subject would only go up 1 grade unless I want to spend all my money paying for exams to retake. I think I'll start emailing potential unis I'd like to go to :smile:
Thank you. It's just that I risk losing the place I have, which I may not be able to get again. And I just believe in the subject i got a C in I really tried my hardest and dont think I could've done any better if I tried. And the D grade subject would only go up 1 grade unless I want to spend all my money paying for exams to retake. I think I'll start emailing potential unis I'd like to go to :smile:

It's a clearing space in a non-RG university that you're unexcited about - that's hardly a risk.

You honestly think you put 100% of yourself into those results? There is no possible way you could have done, say, one extra hour each night? Nonsense. You can do better, everyone can. All it takes is dedication and time. If you aren't willing to spend some money on resits then you have little chance in succeeding - that is a minor sacrifice relative to what it takes to get top grades. You may also want to rethink getting into £50k debt to do a degree in the first place. You have a whole year to do FM and get two grades up. You could realistically finish the year with A*ABB, and very possibly higher if you are committed. Have confidence and dedicate yourself. Best of luck.
Hey,

It would be a lot easier for you if you could get the C's up to a B, so you had A*AB, it would open more doors, because some universities won't budge on their entry requirements and won't see A*AC as equivalent to AAB/ABB. Having said that, emailing admissions is always the best way to find out the definitive answer from each university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by macromicro
It's a clearing space in a non-RG university that you're unexcited about - that's hardly a risk.

You honestly think you put 100% of yourself into those results? There is no possible way you could have done, say, one extra hour each night? Nonsense. You can do better, everyone can. All it takes is dedication and time. If you aren't willing to spend some money on resits then you have little chance in succeeding - that is a minor sacrifice relative to what it takes to get top grades. You may also want to rethink getting into £50k debt to do a degree in the first place. You have a whole year to do FM and get two grades up. You could realistically finish the year with A*ABB, and very possibly higher if you are committed. Have confidence and dedicate yourself. Best of luck.

I guess you are right. I sent for remarks and if they don't come through successful I'll look into doing retakes. When it comes to school (and life) I have 0 confidence, so I may be undermining myself.Thank you.

Original post by jelly1000
It would be a lot easier for you if you could get the C's up to a B, so you had A*AB, it would open more doors, because some universities won't budge on their entry requirements and won't see A*AC as equivalent to AAB/ABB. Having said that, emailing admissions is always the best way to find out the definitive answer from each university.

Thank you for the reply! I will attempt to get the C grade up :smile:
Reply 7
Hard choice, people often band around the word retaking but you really have to think is it worth it spending a whole year out? Granted it's not long in the context of a lifetime but as long as your happy with the uni and course and it's still fairly respected (mid table and above) then it's fine. In the real world your degree grade and experience/ internships will mean far more than going to a uni that is 10-15 places higher in a ranking table. To employers they are all the same, whether it is a 30th ranked or 52nd ranked unless it's an elite uni like Oxbridge or a good red brick.
So OP, I would only resit the whole year if you are really not happy with your university and think you could do a lot better (like improve the grades to A*AB otherwise it seems a waste of a year.
in short, I believe you need to determine how better you do as to me it seems like your current uni is fine :smile:

PS: I was in the same situation and could have resat the year as I only got CCC so I comfortably get BBC and go to Leicester which is ranked a bit higher than Keele (where I'm going) but have decided to bite the bullet after talking to many advisors, TSR members and teachers, it's not like this will ever come to negatively effect me providing i get a good 1st or 2:1 with experience ! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexp98
Hard choice, people often band around the word retaking but you really have to think is it worth it spending a whole year out? Granted it's not long in the context of a lifetime but as long as your happy with the uni and course and it's still fairly respected (mid table and above) then it's fine. In the real world your degree grade and experience/ internships will mean far more than going to a uni that is 10-15 places higher in a ranking table. To employers they are all the same, whether it is a 30th ranked or 52nd ranked unless it's an elite uni like Oxbridge or a good red brick.
So OP, I would only resit the whole year if you are really not happy with your university and think you could do a lot better (like improve the grades to A*AB otherwise it seems a waste of a year.
in short, I believe you need to determine how better you do as to me it seems like your current uni is fine :smile:

PS: I was in the same situation and could have resat the year as I only got CCC so I comfortably get BBC and go to Leicester which is ranked a bit higher than Keele (where I'm going) but have decided to bite the bullet after talking to many advisors, TSR members and teachers, it's not like this will ever come to negatively effect me providing i get a good 1st or 2:1 with experience ! :smile:

I'm taking a whole year off anyway to do Further Mathematics A level, its just the problem is will 'better' unis consider me if I got A*ACD at the end of it. The uni that I have got a deferred place for is late 20s (in the league tables) non-RG. I like the uni, but i dont know if I am over the moon about it.
Reply 9
I'm taking a whole year off anyway to do Further Mathematics A level, its just the problem is will 'better' unis consider me if I got A*ACD at the end of it. The uni that I have got a deferred place for is late 20s (in the league tables) non-RG. I like the uni, but i dont know if I am over the moon about it.

Yeah retaking will be no problem them, although a quick email to the admissions apartment would still be wise. And yeah I guess if you have doubt then your doing the right thing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending