The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Couple of questions for starting university

Hi, I will be attending Aston uni this coming September.

Since I wasn't able to get accommodation I will be commuting for my first year and would like to know what would the earliest lectures will be?

additionally, for people who are commuting to Aston, do you think it doesn't get in the way socially and education wise?

Thank you in advance! :smile:
hi, im studying pharmacy at aston this year and i had the same questions too.
was wondering how early I'd have to catch a train in order to make it to uni on time😭
As for affecting our education i dont think the commute will impact too negatively on us.
I'll be commuting from derby so itll be about an hours commute each way, which will of course be tiring but i guess there are people who commute further and still manage to get the work done.
i think commuting will probably have more of an effect on our social lives in uni- e.g. joining societies, because we wont be there to take part.
just out of interest, where are you commuting from and what are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ammarahkhalill
was wondering how early I'd have to catch a train in order to make it to uni on time😭
As for affecting our education i dont think the commute will impact too negatively on us.
I'll be commuting from derby so itll be about an hours commute each way, which will of course be tiring but i guess there are people who commute further and still manage to get the work done.
i think commuting will probably have more of an effect on our social lives in uni- e.g. joining societies, because we wont be there to take part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh, nice. I will also be travelling from Derby, guess I'll see you on the trains x)
I'll be undertaking the Engineering and Applied Science Foundation Programme.
Reply 3
You'll probably find journey planning easier once you get your uni timetables. It's about 10 minutes walk to Aston from New Street Station if you come out of the station towards Selfridges/Moor Street or out onto the high street.
Reply 4
The earliest lecture will probably be 09:00, I haven't known anyone to have lecturers earlier.
GUYSSS! Im studying pharmacy at Aston :biggrin: Woohooooo
Hope to see you guys in September haha
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just had a quick look through the train services, you can catch a direct train to Birmingham New Street then you have to walk for around 10-15 minutes. This will be a life saver for you in the morning, not having to catch two trains and wait for the second train.

You could catch the "07:27 and arrive for 08:08" or "07:36 and arrive for 08:25" or "7:50 and arrive for 08:27". This is viable if your lecture is at 09:00 and I don't think it's too early to wake up dependent on how far you live from Derby train station

I'm sure you'll be able to take part in societies, try to stay with your friends at their accommodation and if that's not possible you could always book a BNB as that'll be cheaper than a hotel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ohh, nice. I will also be travelling from Derby, guess I'll see you on the trains x)
wow what a coincidence! train buddies😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ishax
I've just had a quick look through the train services, you can catch a direct train to Birmingham New Street then you have to walk for around 10-15 minutes. This will be a life saver for you in the morning, not having to catch two trains and wait for the second train.

You could catch the "07:27 and arrive for 08:08" or "07:36 and arrive for 08:25" or "7:50 and arrive for 08:27". This is viable if your lecture is at 09:00 and I don't think it's too early to wake up dependent on how far you live from Derby train station

I'm sure you'll be able to take part in societies, try to stay with your friends at their accommodation and if that's not possible you could always book a BNB as that'll be cheaper than a hotel.

ooh thanks! I'll keep that in mind when i start booking tickets

i know that booking tickets in advance can save a lot of money but ive heard from other students that its unwise to book ahead of the day because trains are always late its unlikely that youll catch the train you paid for.
does anyone have any experience of commuting or know how to cut travel costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
ooh thanks! I'll keep that in mind when i start booking tickets

i know that booking tickets in advance can save a lot of money but ive heard from other students that its unwise to book ahead of the day because trains are always late its unlikely that youll catch the train you paid for.
does anyone have any experience of commuting or know how to cut travel costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I commuted last year to university, I've only encountered problems twice so it's not that bad but I would book depending how many days you're in. I'd wait for my timetable and make sure you buy a "anytime day return" which means you can catch any train to and back. This will cost a little more perhaps £2/3 but it's worth it in case if you miss your train. Better to be safe, then sorry.
Original post by Ishax
I commuted last year to university, I've only encountered problems twice so it's not that bad but I would book depending how many days you're in. I'd wait for my timetable and make sure you buy a "anytime day return" which means you can catch any train to and back. This will cost a little more perhaps £2/3 but it's worth it in case if you miss your train. Better to be safe, then sorry.

thanks for clearing that up😊
i genuinely felt a little lost about travelling since most people i know are staying in halls
its good to get advice from someone with experience
thanks xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks for clearing that up😊
i genuinely felt a little lost about travelling since most people i know are staying in halls
its good to get advice from someone with experience
thanks xx
Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be tiring at first but you'll get used to it, it may be worth in looking at a month or termly pass if it works out cheaper?It's alright, anytime! Xx

Quick Reply