The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Archie2004
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to all of this and to be honest I don't even know if I'm on the right thread. Anyway I am a graduate with a 2:1 in a non science related degree. I have decided to take the UKCAT to see if I stand a chance if I apply for a density degree.

I achieved ABB back in 2012 for non science A levels and have been advised to take bio and chem A level in 2017, I have been predicted A's for these.

My main question is what sort of UKCAT score I need?! Is it the same regardless if im applying for density or medicine/I'm already a graduate in another discipline. Sorry if this has come up before but I've tried to look through a lot of this thread but 198 pages is a lot to go through!

I guess you need around band 2 in STJ and around 2100 out of 2700 in the other 3 sections (that's for medicine anyway... but i think it's the same for dentistry)

here's a link that might help : http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf
I just wanna ask... do your scores when you take mocks for the ukcat represent (even slightly) what your actual score would be?
:frown:
Original post by &Hope
I just wanna ask... do your scores when you take mocks for the ukcat represent (even slightly) what your actual score would be?
:frown:

For me, my actual UKCAT score was higher than all the mocks I did (the 3 official ukcat ones, the medify ones and the 1000q book one), except Medify 1 which was higher than my actual score.

Hope this helps.
Original post by chrisdale98
I skim each paragraph in a few secs so I know where to look and then just look for keywords and eliminate where I can :smile: tbh everything I use is back a few pages on this forum haha (replying to tinbite1 and rainbow machine)

alright, thank you!
Did anyone get questions for QR that had no data tables/graphs etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3766
Did my UKCAT a few days ago and got
QR 710
AR 630
VR 650
average 663 :/
Is this any good?...i was planning to apply for kings, barts, exeter and east anglia (norwich)
Any help would be appreciated.

This was a really good one, thank you :smile:
Original post by TheVocalSardine
For me, my actual UKCAT score was higher than all the mocks I did (the 3 official ukcat ones, the medify ones and the 1000q book one), except Medify 1 which was higher than my actual score.

Hope this helps.

At least you got one mock that you did better at....
I've done like 5 mocks so far and I'm getting rubbish scores on the QR and VR sections and I've been practising for like 6/7 weeks now.
Pretty much finished the 1000q book and all the QR questions and nearly all the VR questions on medify
AND my exam is in TWO DAYS....:frown::frown::frown:....any advice?
Original post by &Hope
I've done like 5 mocks so far and I'm getting rubbish scores on the QR and VR sections and I've been practising for like 6/7 weeks now.
Pretty much finished the 1000q book and all the QR questions and nearly all the VR questions on medify

Hi,

First things first, what scores are you getting in your mocks? Like I said, most of my mocks were worse than my actual score - I reckon that the actual scoring system is more kind than it is for any mock.

Second thing, what techniques are you using for QR and VR?

Third thing, please don't worry about it! In the unlikely event that your score isn't brilliant, it's not the end of the world - you can always just apply to non-ukcat heavy unis, have another go next year or do BMAT
Original post by &Hope

How long did it take you to finish the book and how long did you spend practicing on Medify? And dont worry too much, everyone says the UKCAT is much easier on the day. Good luck!
Original post by marsbar3007
There are usually key aspects that you can consider when you do the sjt section. They have a list of it, and after a few questions you can see the same themes popping up, e.g. confidentiality, competence (so like recognising how much and what work you can take on and do), honesty, team involvement, coping with pressure, distressed patients. In the scenarios you'll usually come across the main issue, and then it'll give you other, less important factors to try and distract. Stay focussed on the main problem you're being asked to deal with.
I know this one is easier said than done but think about what you should do, instead of what you would do.
It is usually things like patient well being, their safety and confidentiality that will come first when considering a problem. I don't think memorizing the booklet will help tbh... it's hard to apply the official sounding guidelines to actual scenarios off the top of your head. If you have medify, they will usually explain why the answer is wrong or partially right.
As for importance questions, try to think of how relevant the factor you are considering is to the situation - does it address the scenario directly and solve a problem, or is it unrelated and a distractor?
Hope that helps!

omg thanks! that explains it much better!
Sorry for the annoying questions and if this was already written somewhere I apologise, but anyone done Official Mock C? I got 830 Verbal, 670 Quantitative and 730 Abstract (Average 743) and am super happy with it and my exam is tomorrow. Just wondering how representative this mock is compared to the real UKCAT? As I may actually have hope hahah:ahee:
Original post by isabella1999
Sorry for the annoying questions and if this was already written somewhere I apologise, but anyone done Official Mock C? I got 830 Verbal, 670 Quantitative and 730 Abstract (Average 743) and am super happy with it and my exam is tomorrow. Just wondering how representative this mock is compared to the real UKCAT? As I may actually have hope hahah:ahee:

I found the official ones to be a pretty good representation of the real thing, so you may indeed have hope!
does anyone know when the deciles will be released this year?
I found the official ones to be a pretty good representation of the real thing, so you may indeed have hope!

Oh okay that is good then, although I did not do too great in Mock A (650 average, that maths was a killer!) but heard that is the general consensus that A is harder. Thanks :colondollar: WOO medicine dream is still alive
hi i got 540 in my verbal which i'm disappointed about but my average is 690 (790 AR and 740 QR). What universities will i have a chance at interview?
Original post by medic99
hi i got 540 in my verbal which i'm disappointed about but my average is 690 (790 AR and 740 QR). What universities will i have a chance at interview?

Hi, I have my UKCAT tomorrow and I was wondering what resources were the most representative of each section?

Also, you stand a chance at many - I suggest avoiding Southampton as they are very UKCAT heavy, and possibly Kings although they have interviews candidates with lower scores that you. It depends on your stats in other areas of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

First things first, what scores are you getting in your mocks? Like I said, most of my mocks were worse than my actual score - I reckon that the actual scoring system is more kind than it is for any mock.

Third thing, please don't worry about it! In the unlikely event that your score isn't brilliant, it's not the end of the world - you can always just apply to non-ukcat heavy unis, have another go next year or do BMAT

MY EXAM IS ON THE 6TH and have been getting 450 in VR and 570 on QR, do you have any tips? i am literally on the verge of a breakdown
Hi,

I'm getting around 430-600 in VR and QR (I know... more than rubbish)
techniques I'm using: for VR...I read the questions first and look for keywords... if I don't find any I go through the text one more time... if that doesn't work I select 'Can't tell' or select a random answer that probably makes sense and move on... I always reach just 15-17 questions when I have only 10 mins left

for QR: I look at the question; if I know I'm probably gonna take ages answering I answer randomly and move on... if I know I can answer quickly I do.... but time with QR is even tighter that VR.... I'm generally attempting to answer like 80% of the questions but even though I do that I get like half of them wrong...

(I heard in the real thing in past years the VR is harder (longer texts) but QR and AR are easier than e.g. medify... is that right for this year?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending