The Student Room Group

What is the best way to show mannual dexterity?

A lot of universities really want you to demonstrate some form of mannual dexterity in both a personal statment and interview. What is the best way to go about this?

The fact that dentistry is a very pratical career is one aspect that appeals to me, yet I cant seem to find anything that I do to demonstrate this. I dont play a musical instrument and I dont knit or build models of any kind. The last time I did art was in year 9.

What should I do? I mean, I dont realy want to take up a new hobby now (it would look fake to universities).

The only thing I can think of for me is cake baking and then deccorating. I have always really enjoyed this. Would this be okay, or is it clutching the straws?
Original post by Lewismioc
A lot of universities really want you to demonstrate some form of mannual dexterity in both a personal statment and interview. What is the best way to go about this?

The fact that dentistry is a very pratical career is one aspect that appeals to me, yet I cant seem to find anything that I do to demonstrate this. I dont play a musical instrument and I dont knit or build models of any kind. The last time I did art was in year 9.

What should I do? I mean, I dont realy want to take up a new hobby now (it would look fake to universities).

The only thing I can think of for me is cake baking and then deccorating. I have always really enjoyed this. Would this be okay, or is it clutching the straws?

Cake decorating sounds like it could be a good solution - it requires handling tools, fine details, steady hands etc. I'd suggest you put a bit of time into it (maybe start a blog of photos of cakes you've decorated demonstrating your skills - you can mention the blog (don't give the address just mention it exists) in your PS and then if need be you can send the link through so that universities can see your work).
Decorate a cake with one hand, complete a rubix cube with the other.

Or you could mash the two together and create a rubix cube cake with moveable slices. If they can complete the cake, they get to eat it.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Cake decorating sounds like it could be a good solution - it requires handling tools, fine details, steady hands etc. I'd suggest you put a bit of time into it (maybe start a blog of photos of cakes you've decorated demonstrating your skills - you can mention the blog (don't give the address just mention it exists) in your PS and then if need be you can send the link through so that universities can see your work).

Thank you for your help. I already have plenty of pictures of things I have made before, so i think I will give this a go.

Quick Reply

Latest