The Student Room Group

failed first year .

have just got my exam resit marks back and seen that I have failed by 0.9%, I got 39.1% when you needed 40%, I have been looking at progression and it shows that I definitely will not be able to progress but I was just wondering if it was worth fighting this because I didnt fail due to lack of trying, I had been suffering with my mental health for the past year, since I started the course and have mentioned it to my tutor a few times and seen a doctor about it twice. what should I do about this because i dont feel comfortable discussing this with anyone becasue the last person professional i spoke to about it told me i was lying because i seemed happier than most people in my positiona nd it has put me off
Original post by rhathaway2016
have just got my exam resit marks back and seen that I have failed by 0.9%, I got 39.1% when you needed 40%, I have been looking at progression and it shows that I definitely will not be able to progress but I was just wondering if it was worth fighting this because I didnt fail due to lack of trying, I had been suffering with my mental health for the past year, since I started the course and have mentioned it to my tutor a few times and seen a doctor about it twice. what should I do about this because i dont feel comfortable discussing this with anyone becasue the last person professional i spoke to about it told me i was lying because i seemed happier than most people in my positiona nd it has put me off

You can't make an effective claim of mitigating circumstances if you are unwilling to disclose your issues to the appropriate people, to the necessary degree of detail, and have them use their professional competency to confirm the need for mitigation. The reasons why should be obvious. So you have a choice - that will follow you through life if you don't get it right now. Either talk to the right people about your issues and see if they agree that they reach the threshold for mitigation, or fail the course. It may seem hard right now, but probably not as hard as the next 60+ years are going to be if you keep hiding things.
Threeportdrift is right; you do need to be willing to disclose your circumstances to the right people.

I have a friend at uni who is in a similar situation and I was surprised by how understanding and lenient the university was. I would be very, very surprised if your university wasn't as willing to give you another chance given your situation, especially as you only fell short by such a small margin.

Even if they won't let you continue, I imagine they will let you repeat first year. That is of course not the ideal situation, but it's a solution.

This isn't the end. You can and will bounce back.
Original post by INFJLinguist
Threeportdrift is right; you do need to be willing to disclose your circumstances to the right people.

I have a friend at uni who is in a similar situation and I was surprised by how understanding and lenient the university was. I would be very, very surprised if your university wasn't as willing to give you another chance given your situation, especially as you only fell short by such a small margin.

Even if they won't let you continue, I imagine they will let you repeat first year. That is of course not the ideal situation, but it's a solution.

This isn't the end. You can and will bounce back.

What happened with your friend? I am just scared theyre gunna tell me im making it up and that its not real because then i would have wasted the whole year with this thing that wasnt even real and that sucks more than failing in my eyes :/, i mean what if i am just looking for an excuse for my failure and all this is my brain telling me that its been there when it really hasnt even and im just wanting to not admit to myself that i was a terrible student who didnt try as hard as i should have!
Original post by rhathaway2016
What happened with your friend? I am just scared theyre gunna tell me im making it up and that its not real because then i would have wasted the whole year with this thing that wasnt even real and that sucks more than failing in my eyes :/, i mean what if i am just looking for an excuse for my failure and all this is my brain telling me that its been there when it really hasnt even and im just wanting to not admit to myself that i was a terrible student who didnt try as hard as i should have!

My friend suffered a really bad break up and went into a deep depression rather quickly. He stopped going to lectures and failed the majority of his exams by a huge amount. The pastoral care centre at uni spoke to him and took a statement from one of his friends. They have no way of proving your condition, but they will be aware of how common mental health problems are in universities and they will understand.

You were good enough to get into university so you are good enough to carry on. I know it's difficult, but you should try to believe in yourself and the systems that are there to help you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending