The Student Room Group

How to draw an Argand diagram for this complex number? (FP1)

If the number were 5/(1-i) let's say, how would I plot that on an Argand diagram?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amelienine
If the number were 5/(1-i) let's say, how would I plot that on an Argand diagram?

The easiest method for that one is to turn it into the co-ordinate complex number form by 'realising the denominator'

worked example below

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ValerieKR
Turn it into the co-ordinate complex number form by 'realising the denominator'

Spoiler

Oh right :tongue: I forgot about the conjugations!! Thank you!
The easiest method for that one is to turn it into the co-ordinate complex number form by 'realising the denominator'

worked example below

Spoiler

That's called rationalising the complex number, I think. When it's rational it's then under the real category, without the imaginary part.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
That's called rationalising the complex number. When it's rational it's then under the real category, without the imaginary part.

Thanks for the info - I thought about calling it that but noticed that the method still works for things like (2-2i)/(1-i)
Reply 5
That's called rationalising the complex number, I think. When it's rational it's then under the real category, without the imaginary part.

I've seen it called both. I think actually realising is a better term for complex numbers as it would not make a lot of sense to apply the term rationalising if the denominator is

e + pi i

Rationalising is certainly what you're doing when dealing with surds.
Reply 6
I prefer realising the denominator.

Rationalising is too strict, you might still want something like i/sqrt(5) with a real but irrational denominator.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RichE
I've seen it called both. I think actually realising is a better term for complex numbers as it would not make a lot of sense to apply the term rationalising if the denominator is

e + pi i

Mhm, just the word 'realising' throws me off a bit. I think we need a proper phrase for this.

I'll just call it "Nullifying the imaginary part" from now on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Mhm, just the word 'realising' throws me off a bit. I think we need a proper phrase for this.

'That multiply by 1 technique'
Reply 9

Agree with Rich_E - realising makes the most sense.

Nullifying makes no sense at all, you're not nullifying the imaginary part.

'That multiply by 1 technique'

There's two techniques, which I've normally heard it called as: "add 0 creatively" and "multiply by one creatively".
Original post by Zacken
Nullifying makes no sense at all, you're not nullifying the imaginary part.

Are you practically not? (a+bi)(abi)=a2b2i2=a2+b2(a+bi)(a-bi)=a^2-b^2i^2=a^2+b^2 so the imaginary part disappears, hence this product can be expressed as a complex number (a2+b2)+0i(a^2+b^2)+0i where the imaginary part is null.
Original post by RichE

e + pi i

I agree. My previous rant on the use of this terminology:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=44566845&postcount=7

The obvious choice might be "reifying" but that's already got too many uses, so how about "decomplexifying"?
Reply 13
Are you practically not? (a+bi)(abi)=a2b2i2=a2+b2(a+bi)(a-bi)=a^2-b^2i^2=a^2+b^2 so the imaginary part disappears, hence this product can be expressed as a complex number (a2+b2)+0i(a^2+b^2)+0i where the imaginary part is null.

Huh? Take 15i=12(1+i)\frac{1}{5-i} = \frac{1}{2}(1+i) which certainly has an imaginary part. Unless you want to call it "nullifying the imaginary part of the denominator", which is a mouthful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Huh? Take 15i=12(1+i)\frac{1}{5-i} = \frac{1}{2}(1+i) which certainly has an imaginary part. Unless you want to call it "nullifying the imaginary part of the denominator", which is a mouthful.

15i12(1+i)\frac{1}{5-i} \not= \frac{1}{2}(1+i) but yeah I meant it as far as the denominator is concerned in my comment. Meh, I wouldn't say it's too much of a mouthful.
Reply 15
Original post by atsruser
The obvious choice might be "reifying" but that's already got too many uses, so how about "decomplexifying"?

That would seem to imply real numbers aren't complex (which they are).
Original post by RichE
That would seem to imply real numbers aren't complex (which they are).

Maybe, but you could make the same objection to the term "realising", so I don't think it's any worse than that. I suspect that it's a pointless discussion anyway, as too many people are happy to misuse "rationalise" in this context.
Reply 17
Maybe, but you could make the same objection to the term "realising", so I don't think it's any worse than that. I suspect that it's a pointless discussion anyway, as too many people are happy to misuse "rationalise" in this context.

I don't see your point as most complex numbers aren't real. You are making real a typically complex denominator.
Original post by RichE
I don't see your point as most complex numbers aren't real. You are making real a typically complex denominator.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying here. Your second sentence doesn't seem to agree with what you said in your previous post:

"That would seem to imply real numbers aren't complex (which they are)."

Anyway, I don't think the current usage will ever change, so this will be my final contribution on this particular prickly question of nomenclature.
Reply 19
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying here. Your second sentence doesn't seem to agree with what you said in your previous post:

"That would seem to imply real numbers aren't complex (which they are)."

Anyway, I don't think the current usage will ever change, so this will be my final contribution on this particular prickly question of nomenclature.

I said initially that real numbers are complex, which is true, and secondly said most complex numbers aren't real which is also true.

Quick Reply

Latest