The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
Same! If i do want to see anyone, the public transport costs are so expensive! Can't wait until i can just drive to see people :s-smilie:
I hate that statistic :lol: I like to think in applying smart, but what if I'm not, you know? I'm trying my best...
I'll do the same thing, I think. My fifth choice will probably be chiropractic...

That's so late :eek:

That's a good idea! I am unsure on mine, perhaps like pharmacy or orthoptics idk. I feel that, I'm trying so hard to apply smart and to my strengths (balancing my unis with a few that have like 4-6 applicants per place and then one max too with more) but it's difficult with unis that involve the PS as how do you know :frown:
Original post by isabella1999
That's a good idea! I am unsure on mine, perhaps like pharmacy or orthoptics idk. I feel that, I'm trying so hard to apply smart and to my strengths (balancing my unis with a few that have like 4-6 applicants per place and then one max too with more) but it's difficult with unis that involve the PS as how do you know :frown:

I might also apply to ODP as a fifth choice, but hopefully it will never need to come to that...
I'm just not bothering with PS heavy universities, i don't have the work experience profile for them, so i feel like it would just be applying to be rejected. I have much better chances elsewhere, you know what i mean?
Where are you thinking applying, i know one of them is Cambridge, but where else?
Original post by Gogregg
I might also apply to ODP as a fifth choice, but hopefully it will never need to come to that...
I'm just not bothering with PS heavy universities, i don't have the work experience profile for them, so i feel like it would just be applying to be rejected. I have much better chances elsewhere, you know what i mean?
Where are you thinking applying, i know one of them is Cambridge, but where else?

Ooo, yeah hopefully not! That's probably smart, I have soooooo much work experience though (literally started getting it in year 9) so that's not the issue, it's that I'm not sure if my personal statement is of as great standard as you need. Like how do you know. I get you. I'm nt sure, Considering Nottingham and Birmingham as they are both GCSE heavy and have beautiful campuses, think my last choice depends on whether I do well in the UKCAT really. 710 ish plus then I will apply to Kings or Edinburgh, if lower probably UCL or imperial.Going to see Bristol on Friday though, it looks really nice but it is soooooo PS heavy (legit 70%) so idk, wbu?
Reply 303
Original post by Ruthie2267
Interpretations are always really interesting tbh...damn, yeah, I'm lucky because I've never actually studied Germany in school so this'll all be new stuff for me :biggrin:

Route C was really fun tbh, I enjoyed the breadth topic more than Russia, but there was so much info to know!! i'm worried for next year though, because a) I have a new teacher who doesn't seem to be as good as my last one, and b) Edexcel gave us really nice questions in the exam at AS so they might ramp it up loads for next years exams XD

you don't sound too happy about doing the Tudors though - I think it looks like a great topic :tongue:

I really hope the exams are okay next year hahahaha :biggrin:

I'm sure the Tudors will be fine, just not very hopeful because anything before the 1800s makes me switch off :frown:

Original post by Gogregg
I sure hope so :biggrin:
But then again, I may have done something wrong when adding them up, but either way, the average is probably a low D, I think my addition was correct :lol:

Then again, our biology classes were plagued by people taking it, thinking it would be dead easy :colondollar:

Same haha, everyone thinks biology is the 'easy' science A-level. It's not.
Reply 304
Original post by bethipayne
Completely unrelated to what you're planning on doing, but my question for my EPQ is "Why do all countries not use the same legal system?" ^^

Very interesting, hope it goes well :smile:
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm studying Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello, Death of a Salesman from year 12 and this year we're studying The Kite Runner and The Handmaid's Tale.

I haven't fully decided on my EPQ topic yet, but I'm considering doing it on how Henry II influenced the modern legal system.

Dude, that's an awesome EPQ topic!! Absolutely awesome!!

Original post by Ruthie2267
Interpretations are always really interesting tbh...damn, yeah, I'm lucky because I've never actually studied Germany in school so this'll all be new stuff for me :biggrin:

Route C was really fun tbh, I enjoyed the breadth topic more than Russia, but there was so much info to know!! i'm worried for next year though, because a) I have a new teacher who doesn't seem to be as good as my last one, and b) Edexcel gave us really nice questions in the exam at AS so they might ramp it up loads for next years exams XD

you don't sound too happy about doing the Tudors though - I think it looks like a great topic :tongue:

Hey guys, I'm doing Edexcel Route B History. I do Tudors as well, the German Reformation and also Witchcraft. My coursework is also on the Tudors because they decided it would keep Paper 1 fresh in our minds. :biggrin:

I agree, Edexcel did give us nice questions. I'm sure you'll do fine though, and your topics sound really interesting! I'm a complete History nut, I want to do all of the topics haha.
Has anyone finished their personal statement yet?
Original post by BR1999
Has anyone finished their personal statement yet?

99.5% finished, just need to add a sentence about work experience then I'm all doneeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
99.5% finished, just need to add a sentence about work experience then I'm all doneeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

A sentence!!!! I wrote about 700 characters for work experience :biggrin:. But I've finished and I'm on 3998 characters :smile:
Original post by BR1999
A sentence!!!! I wrote about 700 characters for work experience :biggrin:. But I've finished and I'm on 3998 characters :smile:

A sentence could be any amount :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
A sentence could be any amount :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if it's anything like my sentences, i wouldn't be surprised. I remember writing a full essay with no full stops :biggrin:
I swear I'm already panicking so much about my RE synoptic paper like how do you even study for a beast like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
I swear I'm already panicking so much about my RE synoptic paper like how do you even study for a beast like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh that sounds pretty bad :biggrin:, I've got a synoptic business paper and a synoptic economics one, there's way too much content to learn :s-smilie:
Original post by SampleX

Original post by BR1999
Tbh that sounds pretty bad :biggrin:, I've got a synoptic business paper and a synoptic economics one, there's way too much content to learn :s-smilie:

This may be a stupid question but what's a synoptic paper? :redface:
Original post by Steliata
This may be a stupid question but what's a synoptic paper? :redface:

So in business there are 4 units. I have 3 exams. Paper 1 is drawn from units 1 and 4. Paper 2 is drawn from units 2 and 3. Paper 3 is a synoptic paper where i could be assessed on absolutely anything from all 4 units.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BR1999
So in business there is 4 units. I have 3 exams. Paper 1 is drawn from units 1 and 4. Paper 2 is drawn from units 2 and 3. Paper 3 is a synoptic paper where i could be assessed on absolutely anything from all 4 units.

Oh my gosh that sounds horrible! I hope I don't have anything like that :s-smilie:
Original post by SteamboatMickey

Hey guys, I'm doing Edexcel Route B History. I do Tudors as well, the German Reformation and also Witchcraft. My coursework is also on the Tudors because they decided it would keep Paper 1 fresh in our minds. :biggrin:

I agree, Edexcel did give us nice questions. I'm sure you'll do fine though, and your topics sound really interesting! I'm a complete History nut, I want to do all of the topics haha.

Your teachers seem to have used common sense when picking the coursework topics :wink: (not that I'm complaining, I'd happily do any topic tbh!!)
Are you planning on studying History at uni?? (that's what I want to do!!)
Oh my gosh that sounds horrible! I hope I don't have anything like that :s-smilie:

Most linear subjects have a synoptic paper now :s-smilie: , have a look on your examboards website if your are doing a linear subject. :redface:
Original post by BR1999
Most linear subjects have a synoptic paper now :s-smilie: , have a look on your examboards website if your are doing a linear subject. :redface:

I'll have a look another time... Ignorance is bliss...
I'll have a look another time... Ignorance is bliss...

Hahaaha good idea, what you don't know can't hurt you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest