The Student Room Group

Hannah's journey to 10 A*'s at IGCSE level.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my study blog, I will be using this to keep track of my revision for GCSE mocks and the actual examinations. This is my actual blog, I do have two other blogs (made with the same intention,) but, those kind of ended up dying! I will be posting on this blog daily, thanks for taking the time to read it!I would love to achieve 10A*s in my actual IGCSE exams. I am doing IGCSEs in Maths, Separate sciences (Biology, Chemistry & Physics,) Full course religious education, Spanish, English Literature, English Language, History and Geography. However, i would be happy with lower grades, as long as I had felt that I had tried my hardest.My mock examinations begin on the 31st October - guess that there won't be much halloween celebration for me then! :frown: I am nervous about these, yet, I will be treating them like my actual GCSEs.

Educational Background

I have been lucky enough to be able to attend private education throughout my life. Even though the people who I have met at schools attended haven't been rather 'nice,' it has been a great experience academically. When I was in junior school, teachers, my parents and fellow pupils did not expect me to achieve much, nor go a long way in life. I had processing issues, speech problems and I was unable to 'pick things up' and 'understand' as fast as the other kids. So, in year 6, I decided to work exceptionally hard for my 11+ common entrance examinations for senior school. However, after having taken the exams for both schools that I was applying for, I genuinely thought that I had failed. I had convinced myself that it would be a miracle if I had managed to earn a place at either school. To my surprise, I was awarded two academic scholarships to both schools, managing to shock everyone that I knew. Having gained those scholarships, I began to realise that perhaps I wasn't as 'dumb' as everyone had thought.At the end of year 8, I decided to take the 13+ to get into one of the best schools in the country, I had no confidence whatsoever that I would be able to make the cut. I kept pushing myself and was lucky enough to be offered a place. I decided to attend the school, I realised that it was going to push me a lot more than the place I was currently at. So, here I am, about to experience my first day of year eleven tomorrow, I am absolutely petrified! Now it is time to study exceptionally hard and continue to prove the haters wrong!

Tagging the people who helped me make it through year ten and to year eleven. I am very thankful and wish them the best of luck for their A levels, woo.
@nisha.sri @brainzistheword @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @mypetpikachu @jamierogers21 @NiamhM1801 @surina16 @FireFreezer77 @MezmorisedPotato @SophFlorence @starstudent7 @lilacpotato @Reachin4TheStars

Current Results

I do hate sharing my results online, however, I created a study blog and must keep a record of my progress, in order to reach my aim.

English Language IGCSE:

Solo Talk (3.33% of IGCSE) 38/40 - A*
Pair Talk (3.33%) 40/40 - A*
Group Talk (3.33%) 36/40 - A*
Poetry Analysis (10%) 38/40 - A*
Creative Writing (10%) 40/40 - A*

English Literature IGCSE:

Six Poems Compare/Contrast Analysis Essay (40% of IGCSE) 28/30 - A*
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is awkward...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello everyone,

Welcome to my study blog, I will be using this to keep track of my revision for GCSE mocks and the actual examinations. This is my actual blog, I do have two other blogs (made with the same intention,) but, those kind of ended up dying! I will be posting on this blog daily, thanks for taking the time to read it!I would love to achieve 10A*s in my actual IGCSE exams. I am doing IGCSEs in Maths, Separate sciences (Biology, Chemistry & Physics,) Full course religious education, Spanish, English Literature, English Language, History and Geography. However, i would be happy with lower grades, as long as I had felt that I had tried my hardest.My mock examinations begin on the 31st October - guess that there won't be much halloween celebration for me then! :frown: I am nervous about these, yet, I will be treating them like my actual GCSEs.

Educational Background

I have been lucky enough to be able to attend private education throughout my life. Even though the people who I have met at schools attended haven't been rather 'nice,' it has been a great experience academically. When I was in junior school, teachers, my parents and fellow pupils did not expect me to achieve much, nor go a long way in life. I had processing issues, speech problems and I was unable to 'pick things up' and 'understand' as fast as the other kids. So, in year 6, I decided to work exceptionally hard for my 11+ common entrance examinations for senior school. However, after having taken the exams for both schools that I was applying for, I genuinely thought that I had failed. I had convinced myself that it would be a miracle if I had managed to earn a place at either school. To my surprise, I was awarded two academic scholarships to both schools, managing to shock everyone that I knew. Having gained those scholarships, I began to realise that perhaps I wasn't as 'dumb' as everyone had thought.At the end of year 8, I decided to take the 13+ to get into one of the best schools in the country, I had no confidence whatsoever that I would be able to make the cut. I kept pushing myself and was lucky enough to be offered a place. I decided to attend the school, I realised that it was going to push me a lot more than the place I was currently at. So, here I am, about to experience my first day of year eleven tomorrow, I am absolutely petrified! Now it is time to study exceptionally hard and continue to prove the haters wrong!

Tagging the people who helped me make it through year ten and to year eleven. I am very thankful and wish them the best of luck for their A levels, woo.
@nisha.sri @brainzistheword @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @mypetpikachu @jamierogers21 @NiamhM1801

Current Results

This section will include my overall coursework grades (when I have gotten them all back) and my mock grades. Watch this space! :wink:

Aw that's so nice ! :h: Wish you all the best for gcse and thank you x
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello everyone,

Educational Background

@nisha.sri @brainzistheword @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @mypetpikachu @jamierogers21 @NiamhM1801

Current Results

This section will include my overall coursework grades (when I have gotten them all back) and my mock grades. Watch this space! :wink:

Yay you joined in too!! So pleased for you and I can't wait to see how you get on. All the best with it and I'll keep watching your progress :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ihatehannah
This is awkward...

Yo, haters are always gonna hate, I guess. :wink:

Original post by nisha.sri
Aw that's so nice ! :h: Wish you all the best for gcse and thank you x

No worries nisha, thank-you! I can't wait to hear how you are doing, when do you go back into sixth form?

Original post by brainzistheword
Yay you joined in too!! So pleased for you and I can't wait to see how you get on. All the best with it and I'll keep watching your progress :smile:

If I didn't make a thread, I would probably end up spending the whole of year eleven sleeping... :colonhash::h: haha, good luck with your apprenticeship, when do you start? x
Original post by ?Hannah
Yo, haters are always gonna hate, I guess. :wink:

No worries nisha, thank-you! I can't wait to hear how you are doing, when do you go back into sixth form?

If I didn't make a thread, I would probably end up spending the whole of year eleven sleeping... :colonhash::h: haha, good luck with your apprenticeship, when do you start? x

I don't understand how someone could say that this is awkward :s-smilie: ?!
I go back on Tuesday - I'm very excited and nervous but more excited to learn new things and i'm going to a different sixth form so it's going to be very different ! :colondollar:
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello everyone,

Educational Background

@nisha.sri @brainzistheword @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @mypetpikachu @jamierogers21 @NiamhM1801 @surina16 @FireFreezer77 @MezmorisedPotato @SophFlorence @starstudent7 @lilacpotato @Reachin4TheStars

Current Results

Awhhh this is so lovely! I really don't deserve this haha 🙈 I wish you all the best for your mocks and real GCSEs and let me know if I can help with anything! Thank you so much beautiful! ❤️💖💜 you'll do amazing! Have a great year 11 if that makes any sense! 😉
Original post by ?Hannah

Haha, yes I felt like that too - and thank you. I still have 2 or 3 weeks off yet :biggrin:
Haha, yes I felt like that too - and thank you. I still have 2 or 3 weeks off yet :biggrin:

Lucky you !! :biggrin:
Lucky you !! :biggrin:

Yep - but it's gotten extremely boring, so I'll have to start studying :wink:
Yep - but it's gotten extremely boring, so I'll have to start studying :wink:

I agree :smile: I get so bored easily ! If i go to school then there will be something for me to do :smile: Have you studied so far ?
Thank you! Good luck with your GCSE's and I hope you achieve the grades that you've aspired for! :smile:
I'll check on this thread when I can. Just have that 'can do anything attitude' and I'm sure you'll do great! :biggrin:
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello everyone,

Educational Background

Current Results

I went to a state comprehensive and got 12 A*s. Do ask any questions...
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree :smile: I get so bored easily ! If i go to school then there will be something for me to do :smile: Have you studied so far ?

Same! :smile: I've looked at some of the stuff briefly but I've been doing a few other things this summer which has taken up most of my time :smile:
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello everyone,

Educational Background

Current Results

Aww this is so cute and thank you, wish you all the best for your GCSE's:smile:
Great idea and I wish you all the best, I know you'll do yourself proud at the end of it all! :h:
Good luck, and remember if you've got any questions I'll be around :smile:
Reply 16
I don't understand how someone could say that this is awkward ?!
I go back on Tuesday - I'm very excited and nervous but more excited to learn new things and i'm going to a different sixth form so it's going to be very different !

i think that they were referring to the fact that i am called hannah and that their username is 'i hate hannah.' 😂

you will be brilliant, i hope that you enjoy sixth form tomorrow! just be yourself and work hard, everything will be absolutely wonderful! ❤️

Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Awhhh this is so lovely! I really don't deserve this haha 🙈 I wish you all the best for your mocks and real GCSEs and let me know if I can help with anything! Thank you so much beautiful! ❤️💖💜 you'll do amazing! Have a great year 11 if that makes any sense! 😉

awh, yes you do! you have never failed to make me smile! :smile: thank-you so much, i hope that your A levels are absolutely brilliant (like i have said before, aha!) sure, i will let you know if i encounter any difficulties! cheers, i will try my hardest. 😂

Haha, yes I felt like that too - and thank you. I still have 2 or 3 weeks off yet

haha, wow, you're so lucky! will you be self-teaching your A levels alongside your apprenticeship? ❤️

Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Thank you! Good luck with your GCSE's and I hope you achieve the grades that you've aspired for!
I'll check on this thread when I can. Just have that 'can do anything attitude' and I'm sure you'll do great!

thank-you so much, you did absolutely brilliantly in your GCSEs!

awesome, i will try and update regularly! yes, that is something that i must work on. :smile:

Original post by SunnysideSea
I went to a state comprehensive and got 12 A*s. Do ask any questions...

wow, that is absolutely brilliant! well done, i will message you when i have questions - i am sure that i will! :smile:

Original post by starstudent7
Aww this is so cute and thank you, wish you all the best for your GCSE's

no problem, thank-you very much! it is so scary to think that i am actually in year eleven, i remember being in year one so clearly! 😂❤️

Original post by NiamhM1801
Great idea and I wish you all the best, I know you'll do yourself proud at the end of it all!
Good luck, and remember if you've got any questions I'll be around

thanks very much niamh, remember that we must keep up our snapchat streak! 😂

sweet, i will probably be asking a lot of questions! have you started sixth form yet? x let me know how it went/goes? ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
UPDATE NUMBER ONE - monday 5th september

i cannot believe that i nearly forgot to update my study blog, i was just about to go to sleep when i realised.. lol. 😂

anyway, today i went back to school and began year eleven. it is very tough, i am still experiencing friendship issues and bullying... but, that is a story for another time. 💫 private girls schools really do suck!

we didn't do any actual lessons today, we just had form time, team building exercises, year assembly and listened to a talk about reducing stress. 🙄 genuinely, it was the most pointless day ever! haha, i did manage to do some productive academic work though, which is always good, here it is:

i typed up my timetable, we weren't given printed copies as my school now does everything electronically and via iPads.😌

i also managed to answer half of the chapter two questions of TKAM that i was set to do last year, but, was unable to complete due to illness. it took me two and a half hours to answer two and a half questions.. 😭 the questions set were pretty hard.. this is the first formal IGCSE literature analysis that we have been set though, and the grade doesn't matter (as it isn't coursework,) so i will probably just be looking at the feedback.

i began reading the last book in the mortal instruments series. with reading, i like to devour a classic and then a slightly easier book. it just gives my reading some variety and provides my brain with time to recover. 😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ?Hannah
haha, wow, you're so lucky! will you be self-teaching your A levels alongside your apprenticeship? ❤️

Yes I will be trying to. Best of luck with Year 11 though. You'll be great!

And well done on your progress today. If you keep this up you'll undoubtedly get to where you want to be :smile:
Reply 19
Yes I will be trying to. Best of luck with Year 11 though. You'll be great!

And well done on your progress today. If you keep this up you'll undoubtedly get to where you want to be :smile:

wow, good for you zoe! keep us all updated! :smile: thank-you, aha, let's just hope that i don't crash and burn out before mocks begin in 8 weeks. :wink:😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest