The Student Room Group

I don't know if I should choose Art GCSE

Hey guys
Basically I chose triple science, spanish, geography and RE for my GCSE options and what happened was there wasn't enough people that chose RE, therefore I now have to choose another subject and I need to tell my teacher when school starts which is in a few days. :s-smilie:
I was considering choosing Art, which is a subject I enjoy, but I don't think I am a confident artist. For eg, I'm bad at drawing people,faces etc and also 'bringing things to life' using techniques like shading, painting using different colours to show where light has reflected etc. Aside all this, I'm worried I will have lots of coursework that'll become too much alongside the other subjects I have chosen.

Is there anyone that can give me their experience on GCSE Art, tips, advice?
Reply 1
Art is a really great subject to take. Very satisfying and a lot of creative thinking is needed. I will say this, it does have a fair amount of coursework, as the subject is 40% coursework 60% exam. However your other subjects aren't coursework subjects, apart from Spanish, if you're sitting edexcel, so you will have plenty of time to do coursework. I'm currently in year 11 and have 3 coursework option subjects and I am drowning in work. But if you take it I just cannot stress enough to keep on top of it all, if you do your work when it's set you're fine. If you are good with presentation, techniques and thinking creatively you'll be fine.There's actually no "drawing people" involved. Art is more than drawing pretty pictures, especially at GCSE, you'll work with other mediums like clay and if you paint it's most likely going to be abstract. Good luck with everything!
you'll need to enjoy it if you want to do it bc it is a lot of work. don't worry about your drawing ability as most of your marks are for annotating and ideas anyway
Reply 3
Original post by lostintrnslation
you'll need to enjoy it if you want to do it bc it is a lot of work. don't worry about your drawing ability as most of your marks are for annotating and ideas anyway

Ok ty :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by xnox
Art is a really great subject to take. Very satisfying and a lot of creative thinking is needed. I will say this, it does have a fair amount of coursework, as the subject is 40% coursework 60% exam. However your other subjects aren't coursework subjects, apart from Spanish, if you're sitting edexcel, so you will have plenty of time to do coursework. I'm currently in year 11 and have 3 coursework option subjects and I am drowning in work. But if you take it I just cannot stress enough to keep on top of it all, if you do your work when it's set you're fine. If you are good with presentation, techniques and thinking creatively you'll be fine.There's actually no "drawing people" involved. Art is more than drawing pretty pictures, especially at GCSE, you'll work with other mediums like clay and if you paint it's most likely going to be abstract. Good luck with everything!

Ok thanks for the advice !
I just completed my art gcse and I really enjoyed it! It is a great stress reliever from the other subjects and if your organised and stay on top of work you will never find it stressful really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest