The Student Room Group

What is A-level History like?

Is it essay based? Is it a respected A-level? What do you learn? Is there any coursework involved?
Reply 1
Yes, it is all essay based, and technique is important for the exams. There is also quite a lot of knowledge around the topics that you need to remember as well! History is on the list of the most respected A-Level and you do one piece of coursework in your A2 year.

What you learn depends on your school entirely. It varies between the different exam boards, and the school gets to choose which topic in the exam board they teach. In my AS year, I did Gladstone/Disraeli and the Cold War, and then in my A2 year, I did Margaret Thatcher (the coursework) and American Civil Rights. It worth asking the teachers at your school, though, or it might be on their website.
Original post by Abirella
Is it essay based? Is it a respected A-level? What do you learn? Is there any coursework involved?

You'll need to look at your specific course to know about coursework and content. It's one of the most respected essay based subject, if not the most. Generally the courses are quite in depth, so you have to make sure you're interested. Apart from that, you'll have two things to worry about: Your essay writing skill, and your ability to memorize the content. If you struggle with either then you may struggle with the course overall.

Quick Reply

Latest