The Student Room Group

What's your opinion on same-sex parenting?

In my opinion, it is best for a child to have a mother and a father. And I find it especially important for boys to have a father. But seeing as though there are many children who need families, and there are same-sex couples (as well as straight couples) who are willing to adopt then this is fine since it is better (in my view) for a child to grow up with same-sex parents rather than have no family at all.

Spoiler

What are your views on the subject?

Scroll to see replies

Society places far too much value on the wellbeing of children, two parents, one parent, absent professional parents, heroin addicted whore, it's all the same.
Original post by L'absurde
In my opinion, it is best for a child to have a mother and a father. And I find it especially important for boys to have a father. But seeing as though there are many children who need families, and there are same-sex couples (as well as straight couples) who are willing to adopt then this is fine since it is better (in my view) for a child to grow up with same-sex parents rather than have no family at all.

Spoiler

A child does not need a mother and father or 2 parents a child needs someone who loves and wants them.
Reply 3
no evidence that it causes harm.
Reply 4
It's great. At least you know a gay couple wants their kid.
Reply 5
Original post by Imam of Haram
Society places far too much value on the wellbeing of children, two parents, one parent, absent professional parents, heroin addicted whore, it's all the same.

Really? :colonhash:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Personally, I too think it is best for a child to have a mother and a father, I do not think a father can provide the motherly love one's mother can, and vice versa :smile:

However, I don't really care, everyone to their own :smile:
Children need male and female parent role model. This does not happen when both parents are male or both are female
Reply 8
Don't get me wrong I'm not being homophobic, because I'm gay myself, but even i think it's a bit weird and if i experienced this type of upbringing, I'd probably end up resenting them :biggrin:
Really? :colonhash:

Spoiler

Errrr

I think they're playing a boardgame in the first pic, seems like quality time to me
Reply 10
My opinion is this - Who cares? And if you do care - you should feel more convicted about what state your heart is in, not the hearts of those parents who want to raise a child. The major issue with our society, and I'll admit I struggle with this, is that we have to label EVERYTHING - and if it doesn't come under the 'norm label' then it must be wrong or must be looked at. It's not same-sex parenting, it's just parenting. Another example - it's not an interracial marriage, it's a marriage. It's not black America, and it's not White America, it's just, AMERICA.. Ygm? If we take the initial part of the label away then I think more people will realise it doesn't matter. So long as a child is loved and cared for, whether they have been raised by a single parent, parents of the same gender, or by parents of opposite sex, it doesn't matter. I think it's always good just to challenge yourself to have a heart that loves on all people - 'The world just needs one big great group hug' .. Ygm? X
Errrr

I think they're playing a boardgame in the first pic, seems like quality time to me

The mother is swigging alcohol in the background
Original post by Pinkberry_y
The mother is swigging alcohol in the background

My parents always drunk around me, except it's ok because it's high quality wine and they're not chavs

This is the problem with social conservatives, you raise the worst kids because you manage to turn everything into a fetish for your repressed offspring. I never went for a beer on my 18th because we have an alcohol cupboard I am free to raid at any point.
Children need a balance of masculinity and femininity. If the same-sex couple can provide that, then there's nothing wrong. It's not likely to happen, in my opinion. Then again, it doesn't happen in regular households either. Either way, 2 parents is better than 1 for child development so who am I to judge.
My parents always drunk around me, except it's ok because it's high quality wine and they're not chavs

This is the problem with social conservatives, you raise the worst kids because you manage to turn everything into a fetish for your repressed offspring. I never went for a beer on my 18th because we have an alcohol cupboard I am free to raid at any point.

In neither of those cases is a parent getting drunk in around their child a good thing
Reply 15
There's so much psychology behind a mother and her child so for a male relationship I do wonder how that is preserved out of the typical gay relationship where one man plays the mother (like cam in modern family) but I have no other problems except I do wonder about psychological development
In neither of those cases is a parent getting drunk in around their child a good thing

You're being fragile.
Reply 17

Relatable except I'm planning to flush out that cupboard on my 18th, some say alcoholism is a gene, I would probably agree.
You're being fragile.

Fragile for thinking it's wrong to be drunk around a child and potentially harming them?
Fragile for thinking it's wrong to be drunk around a child and potentially harming them?

Yes, a good parent wouldn't turn alcohol into a cool taboo, a good parent rationally explains the risks of excessive alcohol consumption whilst giving the ultimate choice to the child.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending