The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KellyPellyUS
Oh really, so what about the Oxford & Warwick Statistics joint MPhil/PhD DEGREE? OxWaSP. Funded by both the MEDICAL RESEARCH Council (MRC) AND UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)?

That is just a degree, not World leading research collaboration. Warwick isn't a great university like UCL and KCL, and that is that.
Definitely Warwick, it has a prestigious name around the world- I'm from the states and that's what I hear.

And to the argument of who's better between UCL, KCL and Warwick, they're the same. Top 10 universities are always the same, and if you're not Oxford or Cambridge, you're a top 10, no need to get specific about names. That's how it is really.

So LSE and ICL and just top 10, and indistinguishable from KCL in terms of prestige?

Yeah right...
Anyone who makes their choice of university solely on the basis of 'prestige' - however you choose to define and measure it - is asking for trouble. The most important thing is: which course matches your interests and preferences better?

Out here, in the real world, most employers don't care which university you went to. They have no clue as to whether KCL is better than Durham or vice versa. They're just not interested. They may, however, care a lot about what degree classification you got, and you will do better if you enjoy the course content and the style of teaching suits you. If you hate the course, you are unlikely to do well. Dropping out can be even more unhelpful in terms of your ultimate job prospects.
Original post by Magic Streets
That is just a degree, not World leading research collaboration. Warwick isn't a great university like UCL and KCL, and that is that.

Just a degree? Lol, you are really deluded. I mean, I thought an MPhil and PhD were both research degrees. Maybe not, according to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anonwinner
So LSE and ICL and just top 10, and indistinguishable from KCL in terms of prestige?

Yeah right...

You really don't understand. Think about it. A part from Oxford and Cambridge, nobody in the states really know about any other universities in the UK UNLESS they are applying and researching what universities there are in the UK. I'm not saying LSE and ICL are equivalent to KCL, I'm saying, when it comes to the name of a university, nobody knows about LSE and ICL and the other top 10 until they start gaining an understanding of higher education and the leading competitors.

For example, it's the same in the US, you hear Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Stanford so much, that's why they have such a big name. Why? Well, it's because they are the most mentioned universities in movies, shows, series. For the ignorant, which is the majority of whoville, that aren't in study (check the stats yourself) will have no idea of Dartmouth, Cornell, stretch it to Brown, so why would they know ICL, LSE? They are never mentioned (unlike Oxbridge) in any show, movies, series, the only time you find out about them is when you research into it.

Suffice to say, those who research into such things, tend to figure out who the competitors are.

Thus, top 10 universities from the UK bar Oxbridge, will have an amazing name to only those who search. Try read between the lines before providing a terrible argument, and understand what I'm trying to say.

Even children in the UK, the schools that I've worked with, until they've hit 15/16 and above, don't know anything about universities a part from Oxbridge, Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, etc. Because that's all they hear about.
(edited 7 years ago)

I really think you're lost, you really should stop debating when you are proven wrong in every single post you make.

"That is that" isn't enough to make a valid point, and every point you have made so far has been thrown back in your face. You have international students telling you the general perspective and a variety of home students providing you the facts that go against what you say. You have no rebuttal. Just chill out bro.

In relation to the post, Warwick > Manchester.
(edited 7 years ago)
Think about it. A part from Oxford and Cambridge, nobody in the states really know about any other universities in the UK UNLESS they are applying and researching what universities there are in the UK. I'm not saying LSE and ICL are equivalent to KCL, I'm saying, when it comes to the name of a university, nobody knows about LSE and ICL and the other top 10 until they start gaining an understanding of higher education and the leading competitors.

For example, it's the same in the US, you hear Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Stanford so much, that's why they have such a big name. Why? Well, it's because they are the most mentioned universities in movies, shows, series. For the ignorant, which is the majority of the who aren't in study (check the stats yourself) will have no idea of Dartmouth, Cornell, so why would they know ICL, LSE? They are never mentioned in any show, movies, series, the only time you find out about them is when you research into it.

Suffice to say, those who research into such things, tend to figure out who the competitors are.

Thus, top 10 universities from the UK bar Oxbridge, will have an amazing name to only those who search.

I disagree. From what I've read on http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/ and other forums, LSE (and to a lesser extent ICL) is well known by "the ignorant," as you call them, in both the UK and the US.

LSE is probably one of the most recognisable uni brands in the world.
I disagree. From what I've read on http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/ and other forums, LSE (and to a lesser extent ICL) is well known by "the ignorant," as you call them, in both the UK and the US.

So you're telling me, a bunch of international 13 year olds would know about LSE as much as Harvard, Yale, Oxbridge and Stanford? And you're talking to an American international?

Sorry, but who wrote the post you just tried providing as information?

Are they the underaged? Are they the educated and understand the league tables?

You are seriously missing the point kid.
(edited 7 years ago)
So you're telling me, a bunch of international 13 year olds would know about LSE as much as Harvard, Yale, Oxbridge and Stanford? And you're talking to an American international?

Nice to see that the insults have already started...

Harvard, Yale, Oxford, and maybe Stanford seem like the most famous/recognisable to me. Cambridge follows close behind and LSE follows close behind Cambridge.
Nice to see that the insults have already started...

Harvard, Yale, Oxford, and maybe Stanford seem like the most famous/recognisable to me. Cambridge follows close behind and LSE follows close behind Cambridge.

No insults, just understand that I'm not saying LSE isn't renowned. It is fantastic, but the name is only for those who search for it, the latter that have been mentioned will forever be used in media, greatest films, the name and brand hits a wider range of people. There is a huge difference between the name of Oxbridge and the name of LSE around the world, and that's coming from an American who travels a lot, involved in various different corporate events.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ShafTJB
I really think you're lost, you really should stop debating when you are proven wrong in every single post you make.

"That is that" isn't enough to make a valid point, and every point you have made so far has been thrown back in your face. You have international students telling you the general perspective and a variety of home students providing you the facts that go against what you say. You have no rebuttal. Just chill out bro.

In relation to the post, Warwick > Manchester.

If I wanted to hear a story, I would have asked for one. I alone of any of you actually attended UCL. You have not been to a good university, let alone a great one.

Warwick is not better than Manchester overall. Manchester is much stronger for research, and Warwick attracts brighter students on average. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Edit: refrain from using terms like ''bro''. That is not good use of English language in the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
If I wanted to hear a story, I would have asked for one. I alone of any of you actually attended UCL. You have not been to a good university, let alone a great one.

Warwick is not better than Manchester overall. Manchester is much stronger for research, and Warwick attracts brighter students on average. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Edit: refrain from using terms like ''bro''. That is not good use of English language in the UK.

Perfect your grammar first, bro.

EDIT: Before you start editing your post.
Reply 92

I am half American and have lived many years in the U.S. The only Universities anyone have heard of are Cambridge, Oxford, and to a lesser extent A bit LSE and St.Andrews(William and Kate thing). No one has heard of Imperial,UCL etc.*
Original post by JohnGreek
How on earth did a thread comparing Warwick to Manchester end up with conjecture as to what universities 13 year olds in the US know about and whether King's is better than other similarly ranked institutions?

TSR, get your head out of your arse and stay on topic for once.

This. Why talk UCL ICL KCL LSE etc. When this thread is about Warwick and Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Warwick most definitely over Manchester*
sigh, who cares

choose whichever you like more, the negligible difference in prestige should not be the deciding factor

Again, I shall refer you to the REF rankings. It proves who is the strongest in research. Sorry, you tried using this earlier and ended up going against yourself. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/Attachments/2014/12/17/k/a/s/over-14-01.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)

All speculation and hearsay, a very common theme in your posts.
Original post by AmyAlbertsLamb
Again, I shall refer you to the REF rankings. It proves who is the strongest in research. Sorry, you tried using this earlier and ended up going against yourself. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/Attachments/2014/12/17/k/a/s/over-14-01.pdf

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/facts/researchexcellence.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)

What a rude response. Would expect better from UCL alumni. Worrying as I'm attending the university this September myself.

Latest