The Student Room Group

What's your opinion on same-sex parenting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
Relatable except I'm planning to flush out that cupboard on my 18th, some say alcoholism is a gene, I would probably agree.

It probably is genetic too, I've never really felt a ''high'' from it. I feel physically sick and extremely tired.
Original post by Imam of Haram
Yes, a good parent wouldn't turn alcohol into a cool taboo, a good parent rationally explains the risks of excessive alcohol consumption whilst giving the ultimate choice to the child.

So that's whilst being off their face in front of their child?
Reply 22
It probably is genetic too, I've never really felt a ''high'' from it. I feel physically sick and extremely tired.

I don't get sick or have hangovers even if I binge which is really weird and I used to get a buzz from a normal amount that I'd enjoy but now that buzz is just a signal telling my brain to drink as much as I can, wow I feel like I'm at an AA group
Original post by Pinkberry_y
So that's whilst being off their face in front of their child?

It's not that deep, my father offered my a cigar when I was at primary school and he was pissed.

You're being a bit of a melt.
It's not that deep, my father offered my a cigar when I was at primary school and he was pissed.

Idk how you think either of those things are okay
Here we go

Oh yeah? Then smoke a whole CARTON of rum!
Idk how you think either of those things are okay

It's so not a big deal, whatsoever.
The evidence overwhelmingly shows that, if anything, same-sex parents are actually better than opposite-sex parents for raising children (across a number of measures). If you oppose same-sex adoption, don't try to pretend you have the welfare/interests of the children in question at heart, you don't - you're just a homophobic bigot.

Source 1 (Review of Research Prepared for American Sociological Association (2014)):

This article includes our assessment of the literature, focusing on those studies, reviews and books published within the past decade. We conclude that there is a clear consensus in the social science literature indicating that American children living within same-sex parent households fare just as well as those children residing within different-sex parent households over a wide array of well-being measures: academic performance, cognitive development, social development, psychological health, early sexual activity, and substance abuse. Our assessment of the literature is based on credible and methodologically sound studies that compare well-being outcomes of children residing within same-sex and different-sex parent families. Differences that exist in child well-being are largely due to socioeconomic circumstances and family stability.”

Source 2 (A Meta-Analysis of Developmental Outcomes for Children of Same-Sex and Heterosexual Parents (2007):

Extensive data available from more than 30 years of research reveal that children raised by gay and lesbian parents have demonstrated resilience with regard to social, psychological, and sexual health despite economic and legal disparities and social stigma. Many studies have demonstrated that children’s well-being is affected much more by their relationships with their parents, their parents’ sense of competence and security, and the presence of social and economic support for the family than by the gender or the sexual orientation of their parents.

Source 3 (US National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study (2010)):

“The 17-year-old daughters and sons of lesbian mothers were rated significantly higher in social, school/academic, and total competence and significantly lower in social problems, rule-breaking, aggressive, and externalizing problem behavior than their age-matched counterparts…

Other sources:

http://www.livescience.com/17913-advantages-gay-parents.html
http://qz.com/438469/the-science-is-clear-children-raised-by-same-sex-parents-are-at-no-disadvantage/

“I found overwhelming evidence that scientists agree that there is not a negative impact to children of same-sex couples,” says Jimi Adams, a sociologist at the University of Colorado at Denver and co-author of the paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
@Twinpeaks I am curious to hear your Psychologically educated opinion. Go mad
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
Oh yeah? Then smoke a whole CARTON of rum!

Back when I did drink, we smuggled alcohol to school in fruit juice cartoons for a school trip, **** was cash af.
Reply 31
This is probably one of the last bastions of legitimised homophobia. Bearing in mind the abundance of sub-optimal heterosexual parenting. Move forward..
It's easy to have opinions/pass judgements on other people's lives and other people's parenting when you don't have children and the majority of you here do not.
Of my 7 children, 2 are gay. One has a son from a previous relationship as does her partner. They have been together for 15 years. The other has been in a relationship for 10 years and there is a daughter from a previous relationship. That is longer than many marriages last nowadays.
There are many people who can be a role model in a child's life and my children have ensured that has been the case.
Anyone can love a child and that is the main issue, because when children are loved, their best interests are always first and foremost the concern of their parents, regardless of gender.
Children need male and female parent role model. This does not happen when both parents are male or both are female

According to that logic, no.
But why?

If a baby was brought up in a family which is exclusively male or exclusively female and can turn to one parent or feels more comfortable around another, then being raised in said environment would not be any different than a heterosexual couple family?

Also, why can't a same sex couple give the same support a heterosexual couple couldn't?

Are you saying if I find someone and want to adopt a kid or kids, we would be less capable than a kid who has both a mother and a father?

Also, what about single parent families?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a traditional conservative, I personally don't like the sound of that idea
I don't care whether the parents are straight, gay, single or whatnot, just as long as they love and care for their child/children.
Children deserve two loveable parents. Regardless of sex.
Reply 37
Psychologically, children need an attachment figure where they feel safe, loved and are fed - two men or two women can of course provide such an environment.

We all live in the 21st century where everyone is free to express themselves and homosexual couples should definitely be able to bring up children and live a normal life where they aren't punished for it.

Some children grow up in abusive families and sometimes are brought up by a lone parent. Are these somehow better than same-sex families? I doubt it.

At least if a same sex couple wants to have children, they will be completely prepared as they will be planning, which is more than what can be said for most parents lol
I have no problems with it. My problem is when they are blocked from having/adopting children.
Society places far too much value on the wellbeing of children, two parents, one parent, absent professional parents, heroin addicted whore, it's all the same.

Ha, what?

Quick Reply

Latest