The Student Room Group

How to write about my physical disability in my personal statement?

Hello, like many, I am currently writing up my personal statement. When I was a baby I was in a car accident, I'm not going to get into it but basically, I came out with paralysed arms and have to use my feet for everything. I was planning to write about my disability in my personal statement since it has had a positive effect on me, but I have no idea how to phrase it... So far all I have is "Living with my disability has taught me to overcome problems and to be more motivated, determined and realistic." but I don't feel thats enough?

Can anyone think of anything or have any ideas???

PS: Don't know if this is relevant, but I'm applying for psychology at Southampton.
Original post by paytontayylor
Hello, like many, I am currently writing up my personal statement. When I was a baby I was in a car accident, I'm not going to get into it but basically, I came out with paralysed arms and have to use my feet for everything. I was planning to write about my disability in my personal statement since it has had a positive effect on me, but I have no idea how to phrase it... So far all I have is "Living with my disability has taught me to overcome problems and to be more motivated, determined and realistic." but I don't feel thats enough?

Can anyone think of anything or have any ideas???

PS: Don't know if this is relevant, but I'm applying for psychology at Southampton.

I wouldn't mention it at all, that's for the disability section of the application really
If it has benefited you, then vo ahead and write about it. Maybe talk about it a tad more such as how much you have adapted your life to it and therefor you are more determined. They read so many personal statements and it is nice to read ones that are different.

Quick Reply

Latest