The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Is the 600 questions UKCAT QR more difficult than the actual exam. I'm finding it so difficult to quickly complete any of the QR questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medic99
1. Don't be negative otherwise you won't be able to do it
2. As soon as you get tired from practicing, take a break. For me push ups and running helped.
3. Now for abstract their is an approach especially type 1/4.
S hape
C olour
A rrangement/angles
N umber
S ymmetry

When facing set A/Bs go through each and ask yourself each question. ie what shapes are common in THE SIMPLEST 2 BOXES? if no commonality move on to the next. What colour is common and so on.

Remember every set is vulnerable to SCANS. The more you practice (medify was smashing for this) the quicker you'll become but be patient and most importantly positive and NEVER look at scores (ie 450/550 etc). Learn common patterns and you'll eventually remember them the more you come across them.

Final tip: any patterns you get wrong, write them down on a word document and print it out and visualise it. I did this, if you want it i can post it on here.

Stay positive and good luck. Hoped this help :smile:

Hi, on the VR section, was the cursor visible on the text?
Original post by gabby1410
i'd really appreciate your word document too, I made one and I can't find it :frown:

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by DaVinciGirl
Is the 600 questions UKCAT QR more difficult than the actual exam. I'm finding it so difficult to quickly complete any of the QR questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found the book much more difficult than the real thing.
Strongly recommend the second edition "Score higher on the UKCAT" book by Kaplan. Loads of tips on how to answer questions, and they have fully explained answers to questions along with 2 mock exams (although the answers for the mocks don't have explanations which is bugging me). Overall 9/10 book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Strongly recommend the second edition "Score higher on the UKCAT" book by Kaplan. Loads of tips on how to answer questions, and they have fully explained answers to questions along with 2 mock exams (although the answers for the mocks don't have explanations which is bugging me). Overall 9/10 book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find the problem with books is, you get used to holding the book in your hand and using a pen/pencil to guide etc. It's just very different to the actual test.

But they are good.*
Original post by medic99
Hope this helps :smile:

you're a lifesaver thanks, my exam is tomorrow so it's probably not going to stay in my head, but it's worth a go:wink:
Original post by 123ash
I find the problem with books is, you get used to holding the book in your hand and using a pen/pencil to guide etc. It's just very different to the actual test.

But they are good.*

There's nothing wrong with it if you've got 2 weeks+ until your exam. Last 10 days or so should be used to do online mocks/questions IMO so people can get used to the format of the exam, but practice is crucial so wouldn't hurt to have more resources

Posted from TSR Mobile
This might sound like a really ridiculous question but how do you convert the raw marks into the actual scores? My test is in 3 days and I still have no clue where I'm at :frown:
you're a lifesaver thanks, my exam is tomorrow so it's probably not going to stay in my head, but it's worth a go:wink:

My exam is tomorrow too! Good luck!! What time? :redface:
Original post by alexdak0ta
This might sound like a really ridiculous question but how do you convert the raw marks into the actual scores? My test is in 3 days and I still have no clue where I'm at :frown:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473020874.457325.jpg
I think you can also do (% right x600) +300 for each section :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isabella1999
My exam is tomorrow too! Good luck!! What time? :redface:

You too!! 12:30 :frown: you?
You too!! 12:30 :frown: you?

OMG me too! That's so weird hahaha :u: hopefully we ace it
Original post by michaela__
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473020874.457325.jpg
I think you can also do (% right x600) +300 for each section :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Life saver! Thanks so much!
Original post by isabella1999
OMG me too! That's so weird hahaha :u: hopefully we ace it

haha that is odd! yeah i really hope so :smile:
Hi - I know this has been asked before but I can't find it (I tried looking): Is the medify mock 1 meant to easy/hard/okay-ish? I just did it and didn't do too well... :frown:

also, do people finish all the practice questions before doing the mocks or do you guys do the mocks in between? I've finished most of the practice questions and I'm a bit worried now 0.0
I only have 8 days before my exam! :redface:

Good luck! Sleep early though and have a good filling breakfast :smile:
Original post by marsbar3007
Hi - I know this has been asked before but I can't find it (I tried looking): Is the medify mock 1 meant to easy/hard/okay-ish? I just did it and didn't do too well... :frown:

also, do people finish all the practice questions before doing the mocks or do you guys do the mocks in between? I've finished most of the practice questions and I'm a bit worried now 0.0
I only have 8 days before my exam! :redface:

The Medify mocks are marked incredibly harsh unlike the real thing. When practicing avoid looking at scores because the highest you'll get is 550ish but this won't be replicated in the real thing. As I've mentioned in a previous post I got max 550 in AR in mocks and in the real thing got 790. IGNORE SCORES and keep refining you're techniques. Also practice in timed conditions. Good luck, hoped this helped :smile:
Original post by medic99
Good luck! Sleep early though and have a good filling breakfast :smile:

thank you !
Original post by adulay
I'm doing the kaplan online practice tests and the highest I've got is 1950. I'm really worried as my exam is tomorrow and I was aiming to get atleast 700 but its just not looking good for me

Read my posts on how these websites purposely give you lower scores. Ignore the scores. Good luck for tomorrow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending