The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

I thought I failed my theory lol, disqualified from 3 clips but still made it... I've only had 2 lessons but on my second, I had to pull away from a red light in a busy town with a massive lorry really close behind me, and I stalled it twice :angry: Really quite scary when you do that lol. I think the key is just practice.
Original post by RallySPORT
I thought I failed my theory lol, disqualified from 3 clips but still made it... I've only had 2 lessons but on my second, I had to pull away from a red light in a busy town with a massive lorry really close behind me, and I stalled it twice :angry: Really quite scary when you do that lol. I think the key is just practice.

I stalled twice today aswell it happens :frown:
Reply 602
Original post by ohhello92x
Aw bless her, hope she passes :biggrin:! I have my practical test on Wednesday, hopefully I'll pass this time round :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will let you know how she gets on :smile: best of luck for Wednesday :smile: you feeling ok about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RallySPORT

It is really. One thing that helped me is to remember that the big lorries are driven by human beings who can think and don't want to be involved in a crash and that they know how to drive them and brake properly. I totally agree though that it's scary having one of them right behind you at lights - tbh, although I've been driving a while now, I still find this a little intimidating at times. You just have to persist and you will get more used to it.
Yeah, I had another lesson yesterday and whilst I did still stall a few times, I felt a bit more confident with it, if you have regular lessons you can actually see yourself improving, gearchanges getting smoother etc
Original post by Spock's Socks
Will let you know how she gets on :smile: best of luck for Wednesday :smile: you feeling ok about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:
Thank :biggrin:, yeah honestly I feel more prepared as I know what to expect :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, iv just read through all of this thread 🙈 I failed my first driving test just under 2 weeks ago, literally failed on something silly tho, during a parallel park a car come up behind me as I was in gear to reverse, I saw the car & stopped until it eventually went past me, however I was already in reverse & my parking lights were on so the car wasn't sure if I was going to reverse, therefore waited a fair while before overtaking. I now know I should have put the gears neutral until it had passed 😩 Didn't even occur to me!! Other than that I had 6 minors... I have my test on Wednesday too!! I feel confident but terrified at the same time 😂😂
Original post by CallieJo
Hi, iv just read through all of this thread 🙈 I failed my first driving test just under 2 weeks ago, literally failed on something silly tho, during a parallel park a car come up behind me as I was in gear to reverse, I saw the car & stopped until it eventually went past me, however I was already in reverse & my parking lights were on so the car wasn't sure if I was going to reverse, therefore waited a fair while before overtaking. I now know I should have put the gears neutral until it had passed 😩 Didn't even occur to me!! Other than that I had 6 minors... I have my test on Wednesday too!! I feel confident but terrified at the same time 😂😂

Wow, they fail you just for that? I feel like I will never pass :frown:

That is absolutely ridiculous, surely that isn't worthy of a major! Its honestly like they make up stuff and want people to fail!

What really😳? Sounds like the other car had enough room to get around you and you were doing your all round checks. That should've been a minor imo at least if you had to stop :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherryred90s
Wow, they fail you just for that? I feel like I will never pass :frown:

Yep!! I was sooo gutted, my instructor strutted over to the car confident I would have passed but no 😞 Have u taken a test yet?

Original post by scientific222
That is absolutely ridiculous, surely that isn't worthy of a major! Its honestly like they make up stuff and want people to fail!

That's exactly what I thought, I'd have thought it would be a minor but it was my only serious... I honestly started to believe they have a pass/fail quota at that point because my test was afternoon, end of the month & seems ridiculous to fail me for that, it's not like I didn't see the car 😒

What really😳? Sounds like the other car had enough room to get around you and you were doing your all round checks. That should've been a minor imo at least if you had to stop :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, the car had more than enough room to pass through... My checks during my manoeuvre were fine, absolutely gutting!
Yep!! I was sooo gutted, my instructor strutted over to the car confident I would have passed but no 😞 Have u taken a test yet?

That's exactly what I thought, I'd have thought it would be a minor but it was my only serious... I honestly started to believe they have a pass/fail quota at that point because my test was afternoon, end of the month & seems ridiculous to fail me for that, it's not like I didn't see the car 😒

Yea, the car had more than enough room to pass through... My checks during my manoeuvre were fine, absolutely gutting!

Aw how gutting :frown: what would have the examiner want you do to? Reverse right into the other car user?🙄 definitely thought it'd be a minor at least if they wanted to mark you down :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's terrible :frown: But I'm sure you'll pass next time! And nope nowhere near test ready, I've only done 15hrs
Aw how gutting :frown: what would have the examiner want you do to? Reverse right into the other car user?🙄 definitely thought it'd be a minor at least if they wanted to mark you down :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't believe it when he said it was a fail 😱 I think he wanted me to go into neutral so that my brake lights wouldn't have been on but surely if I'm stationary with my foot on the brake my brake lights would be on anyway 🤔 Confused.com!!

That's terrible :frown: But I'm sure you'll pass next time! And nope nowhere near test ready, I've only done 15hrs

Aw thank you, I hope so! There's an 11 week wait for my local test centre!! I was lucky, my instructor managed to bag a cancellation for 2 weeks 1 day after my first test, it wasn't the failing that was so gutting but the thought of months to wait for another date 😩 Doubt I'd get so lucky if I fail another lol...
Aw how are the lessons going? I can remember still being fraught with dread on lesson 15 😱😂
1) the clutch - my driving instructor never really helped me with it - I just basically had to learn it accidentally by myself over a while. he didn't even tell me to hit the gas while popping the clutch - I mean, jesus, man. are you even trying to guide me?
2) getting into the right lane when I don't even know where at all I'm meant to be going - figuring out where my turning is is one thing, but then multi-tasking and trying to get into a certain lane is a downright nightmare. I still can't do it very well to this day.
3) noticing road signs - whether they're things like which lane for which destination and miles, or a speed limit sign - it's all just a bit of a "one blink and it's gone" situation and hardly forgiving if you do happen to miss it.
I couldn't believe it when he said it was a fail 😱 I think he wanted me to go into neutral so that my brake lights wouldn't have been on but surely if I'm stationary with my foot on the brake my brake lights would be on anyway 🤔 Confused.com!!

Aw thank you, I hope so! There's an 11 week wait for my local test centre!! I was lucky, my instructor managed to bag a cancellation for 2 weeks 1 day after my first test, it wasn't the failing that was so gutting but the thought of months to wait for another date 😩 Doubt I'd get so lucky if I fail another lol...
Aw how are the lessons going? I can remember still being fraught with dread on lesson 15 😱😂

If I remember correctly I think it would be on even if you were in neutral :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

was this your first test?
My lessons are going okay, I'm still stalling though lol, and yes I'm always nervous when I turn into a main road, especially with lots of traffic because it tests my clutch control which is quite frankly shite at times.
In my last lesson, my instructor was sitting in the passenger seat and said he wants me to drive out, inside I was a nervous wreck lol
If I remember correctly I think it would be on even if you were in neutral :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea that's what I thought 🤔 Strange isn't it!? Is your test on Wednesday too?

was this your first test?
My lessons are going okay, I'm still stalling though lol, and yes I'm always nervous when I turn into a main road, especially with lots of traffic because it tests my clutch control which is quite frankly shite at times.
In my last lesson, my instructor was sitting in the passenger seat and said he wants me to drive out, inside I was a nervous wreck lol

oh yea I struggled with clutch control for a fair while but iv finally mastered it, it will just click into place & feel completely natural one day & u will wonder why u ever struggled lol!
Do u mean he was in the passenger seat when u went out to meet him? My instructor has been in the passenger seat when I met him from the second lesson! I can remember dying inside each time I went out, each time I'd get in the car & say iv completely forgotten what to do, he now calls me Dory lmao!! He sort of threw me in the deep end but it worked for me, I guess it depends on the individual & also their teaching technique... Do u get on with ur instructor? Iv read so many threads about bad instructors... I feel so lucky to have found mine, h is amazing, we literally joke & laugh the whole lesson & I leave the lesson filled with confidence... Seems to be a rare find with instructors 🤔
Yea that's what I thought 🤔 Strange isn't it!? Is your test on Wednesday too?

oh yea I struggled with clutch control for a fair while but iv finally mastered it, it will just click into place & feel completely natural one day & u will wonder why u ever struggled lol!
Do u mean he was in the passenger seat when u went out to meet him? My instructor has been in the passenger seat when I met him from the second lesson! I can remember dying inside each time I went out, each time I'd get in the car & say iv completely forgotten what to do, he now calls me Dory lmao!! He sort of threw me in the deep end but it worked for me, I guess it depends on the individual & also their teaching technique... Do u get on with ur instructor? Iv read so many threads about bad instructors... I feel so lucky to have found mine, h is amazing, we literally joke & laugh the whole lesson & I leave the lesson filled with confidence... Seems to be a rare find with instructors 🤔

Yeah it's strange! And yeah my test is Wednesday too, it'll be my 2nd attempt at it :colondollar: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it's strange! And yeah my test is Wednesday too, it'll be my 2nd attempt at it :colondollar: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agghhhhh! So exciting 💃🏻 I'm so excited at the prospect of driving on my own, excited but terrified at the same time! What time is yours? So we will both be taking second shots at it on wed, what did u fail for? I did read it but can't remember now 😩😂 I hope we both pass 😬

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending