The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

GENUINE GCSE Requirements for LSE BSc Economics?

I am an A-Level student who is currently dreaming of going to LSE to do a BSc in Economics! I just got my GCSE results and achieved 6 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. For Economics, the LSE website says that a B in GCSE English Language, and an A at GCSE Maths is required. I met this and got a B in English Language and an A in Maths. I have just started Year 12 and have not done my A-Levels yet, but can anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting in? I have been told that the top Universities are putting added emphasis on GCSE Results now!I am getting really mixed responses about GCSEs and their importance at LSE! Would someone who actually KNOWS about their admissions policies, please help answer my questions? I would be really grateful!

I keep making identical threads because no one who actually knows about the admissions policies has responded! Could someone who knows about this please help me?
Original post by dp00
I am an A-Level student who is currently dreaming of going to LSE to do a BSc in Economics! I just got my GCSE results and achieved 6 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. For Economics, the LSE website says that a B in GCSE English Language, and an A at GCSE Maths is required. I met this and got a B in English Language and an A in Maths. I have just started Year 12 and have not done my A-Levels yet, but can anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting in? I have been told that the top Universities are putting added emphasis on GCSE Results now!I am getting really mixed responses about GCSEs and their importance at LSE! Would someone who actually KNOWS about their admissions policies, please help answer my questions? I would be really grateful!

I keep making identical threads because no one who actually knows about the admissions policies has responded! Could someone who knows about this please help me?

Nobody can genuinely answer your question.
People with not so great GCSE results have gotten places whilst people with excellent results have not. Some people were told that their GCSE results were not good enough whilst others were told that their PS was not good enough. For the record, your results are very similar to my son's and he got a place. He also got A*A*A at A2 whilst his offer was AAA.

I believe that it is your complete application as a whole is what gets you a place.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by JamjamjamT
Nobody can genuinely answer your question.
People with not so great GCSE results have gotten places whilst people with excellent results have not. Some people were told that their GCSE results were not good enough whilst others were told that their PS was not good enough. For the record, your results are very similar to my son's and he got a place. He also got A*A*A at A2 whilst his offer was AAA.

I believe that it is your complete application as a whole is what gets you a place.
Thanks ever so much for your response! If you do not mind my asking, what GSCE grades did your son get? He must be a genius with those A2s :wink:
Original post by dp00
Thanks ever so much for your response! If you do not mind my asking, what GSCE grades did your son get? He must be a genius with those A2s :wink:

Almost identical if not the same as you from memory.
I don't know about genius but he is rather clever and he works really hard academically.

Make sure you get excellent AS and A2 grades and then write a honest and unique personal statement. That is all you can do. Go back and read the Applicant threads and you will see who got places and who didn't and you will be able to see some of their results as well. There is no guaranteed formula that you can follow.
Almost identical if not the same as you from memory.
I don't know about genius but he is rather clever and he works really hard academically.

Make sure you get excellent AS and A2 grades and then write a honest and unique personal statement. That is all you can do. Go back and read the Applicant threads and you will see who got places and who didn't and you will be able to see some of their results as well. There is no guaranteed formula that you can follow.

Are you sure he's doing pure economics? The offer is usually a*aa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Are you sure he's doing pure economics? The offer is usually a*aa

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant LSE in general.
He is doing BMS but my point still applies
BMS?
Original post by TheNlee
BMS?

Business Maths and Statistics. He is about to go into his third year.

I've currently got an offer for a BSc in Economics from LSE just waiting on my results day :s-smilie:

My GCSE results are as follows

4 - A*
4 - A
3 - B

Any questions on my alevels/ps feel free to ask :smile:
Business Maths and Statistics. He is about to go into his third year.

oh nice, i thought it stood for biomedical sciences. Is LSE a good business school because I have a friend from New Zealand and she would like to do a bsc in Economics but thinks the course is very competitive as 50% of LSE is international, is that your stance considering your son?
Original post by Econ4ever
I've currently got an offer for a BSc in Economics from LSE just waiting on my results day :s-smilie:

My GCSE results are as follows

4 - A*
4 - A
3 - B

Any questions on my alevels/ps feel free to ask :smile:

judging by your username, you must've had a fiery personal statement, what results are you conditioned to get based on your offer?
Original post by TheNlee
judging by your username, you must've had a fiery personal statement, what results are you conditioned to get based on your offer?

Ahah lol fiery :L

I've already achieved
A* maths
A Economics
A Physics

Self taught the whole alevel further maths this year and my offer is conditional on getting an A
Original post by Econ4ever
Ahah lol fiery :L

I've already achieved
A* maths
A Economics
A Physics

Self taught the whole alevel further maths this year and my offer is conditional on getting an A

Well done :smile:
Original post by dp00

arent you in warwick now??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending