The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Making Friends?

I've only recently decided to attend York University, where I'll be pursuing an MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience.

I've never actually been to York before, and will therefore have no friends when I get there. As I've only recently made the decision to attend, it seems that all the Campus Accommodation is full. Therefore I'll need to find myself a Studio Flat in the City Centre, which is approximately 30 minutes away from the University.

Although I'm not overly worried about being a loner for the next year, it would be nice to have some people I can go out with.

What's the best way to make friends down at York University? Is it worth going to Freshers' week (by myself)? Are there any events?

I've not been to any open days or inductions, due to only recently deciding I'd like to attend, which makes things worse.
Find a society or a sports club and join it. I know pretty much all sports clubs have weekly socials which start off with drinking somewhere on campus and end up in a club.
University of York
York
Original post by Rational-Aaron
I've only recently decided to attend York University, where I'll be pursuing an MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience.

I've never actually been to York before, and will therefore have no friends when I get there. As I've only recently made the decision to attend, it seems that all the Campus Accommodation is full. Therefore I'll need to find myself a Studio Flat in the City Centre, which is approximately 30 minutes away from the University.

Although I'm not overly worried about being a loner for the next year, it would be nice to have some people I can go out with.

What's the best way to make friends down at York University? Is it worth going to Freshers' week (by myself)? Are there any events?

I've not been to any open days or inductions, due to only recently deciding I'd like to attend, which makes things worse.

Not having any friends before you arrive is normal, so don't worry about it! Everyone is in the same position, so while you obviously won't have the advantage of being able to meet people at your accommodation, you'll get to meet people by attending freshers week events (you can buy tickets now on the student union website - it's college specific so join one and pay the fee if you haven't already, then buy them ticket for your college) and joining societies; the freshers fair, where you can join societies, is on Saturday 1st October.

As long as you make an effort to be sociable, you'll make friends. As I said, it's unusual to know lots of people before arrival so everyone is in the same position.
Original post by Rational-Aaron

Hiya,

Firstly, don't worry! Many people will be in the same situation as you and there will be plenty of opportunities to meet new people.

You can have a look at our Graduate Students' Association, who will be organising various events in the first week of term (as well as throughout the year). Your department may also have a welcome event, and don't forget that there will be other people on your course to meet as well.

In terms of accommodation, there are several private student housing providers who supply studio flats - have a look at The Boulevard (which is very close to campus), Student Castle or Foss Studios. Of course, you can also look at our accommodation pages for more information on this.

I hope that's helpful,

Katie :smile:
Thank you for the replies!

I'll take a look at all the links.

As for accommodation, I'm trying to get in touch with The Boulevard. Most places only have a few rooms left available, so hopefully I can get something sorted in the next couple of days. Makes it more difficult as I live half way across the country, and therefore am not available for immediate viewings
Still struggling to find accommodation, although I do have a couple of viewings tomorrow (assuming they aren't taken by then).

Has anyone got a studio flat that they aren't planning on moving into anymore?

Also, does anyone have any advice on what college I should join? Should I wait until I get accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending