The Student Room Group

Should I re-apply to Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Hey have you thought of the top london unis for your degree? Like Imperial, UCL and Kings etc, both your GCSE grades and A levels look fantastic to me. There are people who got in with less good grades than yours.

And the reason why I asked about London unis that they're as academically rigorous and respected as Oxbridge, and I'm someone who was rejected from Oxford but got into LSE (a london uni)
Original post by such_a_lady
Whatever you decide, do come back and post an update, as I'm sure a lot of people will be curious to know what you choose to do!

Thanks! At the moment I think I'll probably decide Lancaster because I really did love the university and course, and I'm not sure the chance of Oxford is worth a year out for me personally :smile:
Original post by loveire&song
Thanks! At the moment I think I'll probably decide Lancaster because I really did love the university and course, and I'm not sure the chance of Oxford is worth a year out for me personally :smile:

Enjoy! :smile:
Reply 23

I mean you could always decide to reapply while at university :smile: It's not really something many people do (but more than one might expect), but despite all the myths that they really don't like that, the answers I got when I asked were mostly "we really don't care". I am doing it like this (though I am not starting in the UK) and I know other people who are doing the same. So you could "have it all", but it does have downsides (not really settling in in the first uni etc.)
Original post by MJlover
Hey have you thought of the top london unis for your degree? Like Imperial, UCL and Kings etc, both your GCSE grades and A levels look fantastic to me. There are people who got in with less good grades than yours.

And the reason why I asked about London unis that they're as academically rigorous and respected as Oxbridge, and I'm someone who was rejected from Oxford but got into LSE (a london uni)

Hi! Thanks for replying :smile: And thank you so much about my grades!

Yeah, I did think about the London unis when I first applied (as I got 98%, 95% and 94% in maths, further maths and physics respectively at AS so was predicted A*A*A*) but decided against it as, while I love visting London, it's not somewhere I'd personally want to live (I used to live near London and now live in the country, and definitely prefer it here). I also didn't apply to Warwick or Birmingham as these are both my "local" unis and we've done lots of outreach stuff with their physics and maths depts, so I'd rather be further from home.

So, I crossed off the London unis, and basically applied to the top five non-London ones in the league table - not the best way to do it I guess but (apart from realising Durham definitely wasn't for me when I visited! :tongue:) it worked out fine

ps. Congrats on getting into LSE! I know lots of people in my year who tried for LSE but were unsuccessful - that's great!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by such_a_lady
Hey, it's generally a better idea to try your luck with a different college :yep: Hilda's is a great bet!
Hopefully, more for the awkwardness factor than anything :tongue:

But as I said my friend is going to St Hilda's so it's probably the best bet (less oversubscribed than Brasenose too).
Original post by JRKinder
Hopefully, more for the awkwardness factor than anything :tongue:

But as I said my friend is going to St Hilda's so it's probably the best bet (less oversubscribed than Brasenose too).

The amount of people applying to each college changes year on year and doesn't really make a difference to your application :smile:
Original post by scblx
I mean you could always decide to reapply while at university :smile: It's not really something many people do (but more than one might expect), but despite all the myths that they really don't like that, the answers I got when I asked were mostly "we really don't care". I am doing it like this (though I am not starting in the UK) and I know other people who are doing the same. So you could "have it all", but it does have downsides (not really settling in in the first uni etc.)

I could... But that would be a pointless £9000 gone haha! :tongue: But thank you - I had heard that they didn't like applications from current undergraduates so thank you :smile: Good luck with your application x
Reply 28
I could... But that would be a pointless £9000 gone haha! :tongue: But thank you - I had heard that they didn't like applications from current undergraduates so thank you :smile: Good luck with your application x

Ah yeah, that's true.. I don't really know if I would do it if I had to pay so much for it, I am going to uni basically for free in my home country...
I just wanted to clarify that - especially on TSR I read all the time that they hate it and it would be hard for you to even be considered. It's just not true. After I was totally down because of it, I eventually decided to call up all colleges I was interested in, explain my situation and asked them what they thought.
Everybody said it's fine. One person on the phone even said she thought it was the most sensible thing to do in my situation :tongue: At another college they said that it wouldn't matter and they would just count it as a gap year. At all colleges, they said that this fact has no influence on the outcome of the application :smile: Many even said that I would probably be advantaged, having achieved the grades (congratulations on your amazing results btw! :smile: ) and being one year older.
And thank you! :smile:
Edit: Just read that you want to do something with German - Viel Erfolg auch von mir :smile: I am German and going to uni in Germany in this year, depending on how good your German is you could think about that too :tongue: (it's free!)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending