The Student Room Group

Are my A Levels good enough for Durham?

Hello, I take
Classics, Philosophy and Computer Science. This year I obtained AAC. I wish to study Philosophy at Durham which requires AAB minimum. As my AS Levels counted for half my overall A Level. Do I still have a chance for getting an offer. In the sense when applying to Durham this year. Will they still give me an offer even though I have missed there minimum requirement by one grade? Also do universities as high as Durham care about GCSE' even if minimum requirements are met such as for maths or English?

Thank you
Reply 1
Well done on getting your AS Levels! It is more dependent on what you are predicted I would say for example if you can convince your teacher to predict you a B by pure persuasion or retaking a module that would increase your chances. However, Durham is very competitive and one of my friends applied to biology there, meeting the entry requirements, but was still not offered a place. My point is you can apply for it but it would also be wise to have a few safer options also.
Original post by Aaron2515
Hello, I take
Classics, Philosophy and Computer Science. This year I obtained AAC. I wish to study Philosophy at Durham which requires AAB minimum. As my AS Levels counted for half my overall A Level. Do I still have a chance for getting an offer. In the sense when applying to Durham this year. Will they still give me an offer even though I have missed there minimum requirement by one grade? Also do universities as high as Durham care about GCSE' even if minimum requirements are met such as for maths or English?

Thank you

The only person who can really answer this is the Admissions Tutor at Durham. However be ware this is a minimum entry requirement and even with those grades it doesn't guarantee you will get an offer. Durham is one of the most difficult universities to get into.
Reply 3
Original post by Jehaan
Well done on getting your AS Levels! It is more dependent on what you are predicted I would say for example if you can convince your teacher to predict you a B by pure persuasion or retaking a module that would increase your chances. However, Durham is very competitive and one of my friends applied to biology there, meeting the entry requirements, but was still not offered a place. My point is you can apply for it but it would also be wise to have a few safer options also.

Thank you very much and yes I do plan to resit a module to hopefully bring that C to a B or A.
Reply 4
Original post by swansea jack 1
The only person who can really answer this is the Admissions Tutor at Durham. However be ware this is a minimum entry requirement and even with those grades it doesn't guarantee you will get an offer. Durham is one of the most difficult universities to get into.

I shall look into that. Thank you! Well I feel with my work experience, volunteering experience and quite an impressive CV that it may help, if my academical grades are at minimum level.
Hello, I take

Thank you

I'm pretty sure it says AAA on their website:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by SunnysideSea
I'm pretty sure it says AAA on their website:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ****. I am mistaken oh well!! There is always Oxford Brookes
Hello, I take

Thank you

As long as you have the predicted grades and the minimum requirements "ticked",(metaphorically) you can apply and they'll consider you. Get your teacher to predict you AAB and you're fine. Also, GCSEs I would imagine aren't that big for courses outside of medicine. The average at Oxford is in the range of 4-9A* from their website, so around 5-6A*. I'd imagine Durhams' would be less.

Good luck.
Oh ****. I am mistaken oh well!! There is always Oxford Brookes

Don't worry - loads of places are AAB, you'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest