The Student Room Group

Extended Diploma or Pre-access?

Hi guys please help me as I have begin trying to enrol in different colleges to do my Level 3 Btec extended diploma but all am getting from the teachers is to do a pre access this year and access next year. The only thing that is holding me back is my maths as I had a D and need to do Gcse or functional skill with whatever course I chose. I was told with access when I get to uni that they cancel my fee from college and I don't have to pay anything but with Btec they dont???? I just can't seem to decide which course to go for this September. Some people say access is intense others says is okey some college's will not take you for access some will it's all so confusing. Hello pls
Original post by Binti01
Hi guys please help me as I have begin trying to enrol in different colleges to do my Level 3 Btec extended diploma but all am getting from the teachers is to do a pre access this year and access next year. The only thing that is holding me back is my maths as I had a D and need to do Gcse or functional skill with whatever course I chose. I was told with access when I get to uni that they cancel my fee from college and I don't have to pay anything but with Btec they dont???? I just can't seem to decide which course to go for this September. Some people say access is intense others says is okey some college's will not take you for access some will it's all so confusing. Hello pls

Most universities don't accept pre-access / functional skill courses as GCSE equivalents. If you don't have a C in GCSE Maths and English Language then you're going to have to do them, regardless of whether you do a BTEC or Access to HE course.

The loan you take out to pay for the Access to HE course is wiped if you go to university and graduate with a degree. If you use the loan to pay for a BTEC then you have to pay it back (after you're earning over £21,000 a year). That said, this loan is tiny compared to your overall student loan so it shouldn't really be a factor when deciding between these two courses.

What do you want to study at university?
Reply 2
Midwifery
Original post by Binti01
Midwifery

In that case, do an Access to HE course.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
In that case, do an Access to HE course.

I will have to do a pre-acess before the acess both courses are two years just want to know which one the university prefers better.
Original post by Binti01
I will have to do a pre-acess before the acess both courses are two years just want to know which one the university prefers better.

For midwifery, universities will prefer Access to HE courses to BTECs. But there's literally no point doing a pre-access course, you need to do GCSEs in Maths and English.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
For midwifery, universities will prefer Access to HE courses to BTECs. But there's literally no point doing a pre-access course, you need to do GCSEs in Maths and English.

I have a B in English but a D in maths and I have just done functional skills maths but didn't do well which as a result they have refused me to do Gcse causing me to either choose the Pre-access or Btec so I can do functional math next year and hopefully Gcse the year after.😢😢
Original post by Snufkin

:call: Hi Snufkin, I left school with no gcses, I'm hoping to become an systems engineer, I'm doing level 1 btech in information and technology at the moment, after having some health issues, I got entry three maths and English, but my maths and English are not up to scratch, I'm not academic what could I do myself to boost them up to the normal gcse levels like everyone else?

How do I boost my English and maths to level 2?

How do I boost my prospects to gcse level?

What would be the most effective route to take to boost my English and maths skills to gcse?

How do I boost my english and maths by myself?

Quick Reply

Latest