What is it like?

Are the lecturers or course respected?

Any info appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by blondelocks
What is it like?

Any info appreciated!

Course is really interesting more so than A Level.

The department is highly regarded internally and externally, over 300 freshers each year be it single or joint honours. Most if not all lecturers have their own published book and there is one lecturer who is regularly on BBC news discussing the politics of football.

Come along to an open day to get a real sense but yeah Politics here is amazing
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Age

The department is highly regarded internally and externally, over 300 freshers each year be it single or joint honours. Most if not all lecturers have their own published book and there is one lecturer who is regularly on BBC news discussing the politics of football.

Thanks!!
Reply 3
I study Politics and International Studies here, it's amazing. PAIS (Politics and IS) is now #3 just after Oxford and Cambridge in the Politics subject league tables. The lecturers are engaging, there's so many opportunities here as well.
Original post by blondelocks
What is it like?

Any info appreciated!

As someone who has applied there for Politics and IR, I absolutely loved it, they gave lots of information regarding how they were in the top 10 politics departments in the country (might be even higher but I can't remember where exactly). A lot of the staff have collaborated with other political scientists and have published loaaads of books which are worth reading. They also had a really active politics society outside and I believe they also have a politics film club where they show political films. Just recently I think they also hosted an episode of question time so there's no shortage of opportunities to engage in the larger sphere of politics too! The course itself looks fairly encompassing and with the optional modules, I think it would cater to all interests in politics. Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Just got an offer. Very excited. It was my first choice, got late and hence no Oxbridge. Sort of nervous cause international student but I was in the UK for my summer and I felt I fitted in perfectly. Felt like I belong there so hoping if I do go to Uni at Warwick then I have a super 3 years! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by hersheys073
Just got an offer. Very excited. It was my first choice, got late and hence no Oxbridge. Sort of nervous cause international student but I was in the UK for my summer and I felt I fitted in perfectly. Felt like I belong there so hoping if I do go to Uni at Warwick then I have a super 3 years! :biggrin:

Hi I've applied to Warwick too but they haven't responded. What are your grades?
Original post by 90780
Hi I've applied to Warwick too but they haven't responded. What are your grades?

Hey, I'm applying from India, so I have to get about 85% or above in all my 5 subjects. I don't know where you're applying from, but I hope you get in too! My exams are in March-April and my teachers gave me a predicted score of 90.3% (Adding all the individual predicted grades.)
Original post by Age

--
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rachlily
I study Politics and International Studies here, it's amazing. PAIS (Politics and IS) is now #3 just after Oxford and Cambridge in the Politics subject league tables. The lecturers are engaging, there's so many opportunities here as well.

--
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi, could anyone here give me a hint of the PAIS timetable? I need to find a job for the term time and wonder on what time I should normally be free of lectures and seminars ;-) Is it likely that they would organise classes after 4 p.m.?
Original post by OlgaNM
Hi, could anyone here give me a hint of the PAIS timetable? I need to find a job for the term time and wonder on what time I should normally be free of lectures and seminars ;-) Is it likely that they would organise classes after 4 p.m.?

There's not that many contact hours for PAIS but it completely depends on what classes you have and the specific timetable for this year. You should have Wednesday afternoons off though.
Reply 12
Yea, I've searched through the previous years' timetables and noticed that Wednesdays are off usually. Is it a kind of departmental tradition or sth?
PS: You've got such a great avatar! *_*
Original post by OlgaNM
Yea, I've searched through the previous years' timetables and noticed that Wednesdays are off usually. Is it a kind of departmental tradition or sth?
PS: You've got such a great avatar! *_*

I think most subjects (except hard sciences) get Wednesday afternoons off. For like society/sports and stuff like that.

And dziekuje :tongue: (that's about all the Polish I know, but I'm guessing you're Polish from your name?)
Evening all, I'm applying to Warwick for Politics and IR this year. I got ABD in Politics, Physics and Maths respectively. I got the B and D through being terrified at my first exam and poor exam technique, so I'm being predicted AAC for A2. Do you think this will be enough to get an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest