The Student Room Group

Any Tips For Starting College (UK)

Hi, does anyone have any tips for starting college, I have my first day on friday and I am the only one out of my friend group going to that college so I will know no one.
Thanks
I studied at sixth form so this is only relevant if you studying A-levels, What you will need:
Pens, Pencils, Rubber, Ruler, Calculator, Coloured pens, Highlighters, Sharpeners, Lever arch folders, file dividers, hole punch, colour coded sticky notes, big pencil case, Sturdy bag, paper, academic planner.

In terms of workload, DONT WASTE YOUR FREE PERIODS, do your homework in them or prep work for class because 'doing all your homework sunday isn't enough'
it will creep up on you and you will get so stressed, besides some teachers may set homework on a Monday which is due in for Wednesday.

The five hours of extra study per A level per week, is no a joke nor an exaggeration - you need to do this from the first week. You need to start revising as soon as you start the little and often technique Is valuable here so when it gets to the real exams you aren't complete overwhelmed with trying to learn a whole specification in 8 weeks.

In terms of the social aspects you aren't the only one feeling like this, just be nice and friendly to everyone and near enough straight away you will find somebody or a friendship group to fall into.

Hope this helps:-)

P.S. sorry if this scares you but this is the harsh reality of A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by M00ND4NC3R
Hi, does anyone have any tips for starting college, I have my first day on friday and I am the only one out of my friend group going to that college so I will know no one.
Thanks

Hey. I did A-Levels and I really struggled coming to terms with the huge jump in first year and didn't do as well as I could have. Honestly the best piece of advice that I could give you is revise all the time - don't just save it until exam period. If you have an end of topic test, really study for it because having all those notes done and that firm understanding will give you such an advantage. I used this technique in second year and boosted my BCD to AAC so just keep trying and stick with it! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Harljade
I studied at sixth form so this is only relevant if you studying A-levels, What you will need:
Pens, Pencils, Rubber, Ruler, Calculator, Coloured pens, Highlighters, Sharpeners, Lever arch folders, file dividers, hole punch, colour coded sticky notes, big pencil case, Sturdy bag, paper, academic planner.

In terms of workload, DONT WASTE YOUR FREE PERIODS, do your homework in them or prep work for class because 'doing all your homework sunday isn't enough'
it will creep up on you and you will get so stressed, besides some teachers may set homework on a Monday which is due in for Wednesday.

The five hours of extra study per A level per week, is no a joke nor an exaggeration - you need to do this from the first week. You need to start revising as soon as you start the little and often technique Is valuable here so when it gets to the real exams you aren't complete overwhelmed with trying to learn a whole specification in 8 weeks.

In terms of the social aspects you aren't the only one feeling like this, just be nice and friendly to everyone and near enough straight away you will find somebody or a friendship group to fall into.

Did they give you a planner? Not sure whether to buy one or not...
Reply 4
Original post by paigekmx
Hey. I did A-Levels and I really struggled coming to terms with the huge jump in first year and didn't do as well as I could have. Honestly the best piece of advice that I could give you is revise all the time - don't just save it until exam period. If you have an end of topic test, really study for it because having all those notes done and that firm understanding will give you such an advantage. I used this technique in second year and boosted my BCD to AAC so just keep trying and stick with it! :smile:

What subjects ?
Original post by Rajive
Did they give you a planner? Not sure whether to buy one or not...

No my sixth form didn't give them out but would highly advise buying an academic diar, you can get them dirt cheap on Ebay - I accidently just ordered a A4 one for £2.
Original post by Rajive
What subjects ?

Religious Studies - A*
Geography - A
Psychology - B
General Studies - B

resitting psych unit 3 to try and get an A and edge my bets at Oxbridge.
Reply 7
Original post by Rajive
What subjects ?

Psychology, biology and philosophy of religion
Reply 8

Thank You! This has definitely helped me feel a little more prepared of what to expect :biggrin:
Religious Studies - A*
Geography - A
Psychology - B
General Studies - B

resitting psych unit 3 to try and get an A and edge my bets at Oxbridge.

Sorry I thought this was a reply to my post! My apologies

Quick Reply

Latest