The Student Room Group

Which medical schools do not consider gcse retakes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
It flashed up in my notification and i would have answered whatever question you may have been asking.

They weren't asking anything, a quote followed by "^^^^^" means someone really agreed with what you are saying or were going to write the same thing but you put it first.
Original post by Quilverine
They weren't asking anything, a quote followed by "^^^^^" means someone really agreed with what you are saying or were going to write the same thing but you put it first.

Ahh ok thanks for the explanation.
I passed some and flopped the rest
Reply 23
Original post by Inspiringvisons
I passed some and flopped the rest

But if they deemed that you weren't entitled to extra time anymore then timing might not be the issue. In all honesty an extra half hour won't change a grade from a fail to an A*. You need to really sit back and look at yourself and the reasons why you didn't do as well. So you can learn

If you were unable to pass most of your GCSEs first time you may struggle a lot at a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this is why I'm taking this year out to improve my results. As for timing it was really bad. I mean i only completed less than 25 percent in some of my subjects.as for science i knew i would resit it due to my core science grade not meeting my expectations so additional didn't matter that much
Reply 25
I know this is why I'm taking this year out to improve my results. As for timing it was really bad. I mean i only completed less than 25 percent in some of my subjects.as for science i knew i would resit it due to my core science grade not meeting my expectations so additional didn't matter that much

What in saying is will 25% extra time make enough of a difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it will because in the only the only exam i managed to finish on time i got a " b" and that was only dragged down by my coursework
Yes it will because in the only the only exam i managed to finish on time i got a " b" and that was only dragged down by my coursework

Sorry mate but after reading the posts here, you're really going to struggle so I suggest you look into other career options as alternatives.
Reply 28

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29

25% extra time might not make much difference to a b. Let alone a c or a d. You need to be more realistic. A levels will be so much harder. To be a strong applicant for medicine you need a majority of As at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to do well academically i just messed up where it counted
Reply 31
Original post by ollie1024
Erm I didn't ask a question but okay.

Don't think you have the required information to tell someone not to pursue medicine. Even if OP wanted to resit most of their exams (which he didn't say anywhere), can you tell me why this would make them struggle with a medicine degree 2 years later?

Also are you saying that every med students got Straight A's + got it first time round?

Spoiler

Edit: Referring to your first msg, my bad
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Kiorde
Don't think you have the required information to tell someone not to pursue medicine. Even if OP wanted to resit most of their exams (which he didn't say anywhere), can you tell me why this would make them struggle with a medicine degree 2 years later?

Also are you saying that every med students got Straight A's + got it first time round?

Spoiler

By looking at entry requirements one actually can. Some universities do not allow retakes without extenuating circumstances such as ill health or death of a close family member.
And yes almost all got their results first time around. Plus you don't need straight As.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by mliela
By looking at entry requirements one actually can. Some universities do not allow retakes without extenuating circumstances such as ill health or death of a close family member.
And yes almost all got their results first time around. Plus you don't need straight As.

Also OP. Does your school have a careers advisor you can speak to? Also try phoning some medical schools and email a few too to get their direct opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiorde

Spoiler

It's advice in a very competitive field, so no need for your smart-arse response thanks. If you failed at GCSE, I do believe you wont do well doing science at A-Level let alone Medicine at university, and yes I do believe most Med students received As at GCSE first time round.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by ollie1024
It's advice in a very competitive field, so no need for your smart-arse response thanks. If you failed at GCSE, I do believe you wont do well doing science at A-Level let alone Medicine at university, and yes I do believe most Med students received As at GCSE first time round.

^^^this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which medical schools do not consider gcse retakes.
As i need to retake mine and wantedto know which ones I should avoid

I can't answer your questions, however, another option you might want to consider is doing an IGCSE in the subject you wanna do. If you think IGCSE's are weaker or something, think again - RGS do IGCSE's. So yeah, I did a lot of searching for schools, phoned up, asked if they entered external candidates to sit IGCSE's, and got an A* in English Language B.
Without trying to be dream crushing, to be blunt, regardless of extra time, there is no way you are academically bright enough to do medicine. You need majority a*'s and a's, anything less than that and the med schools won't even look at you. It also means you probably don't have the academic capacity to do well enough in your a levels to meet the AAA requirement. Sorry to be blunt, maybe you should look at biomedical science as an alternative?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Can some one just answer my original question
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
I would assume barely any. The only way you can really check is by researching and DIRECTLY contacting universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending