The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do women feel the need to show cleavage/legs in the workplace

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GradesUnlocked
Who gets called a lesbian or a prude? 😂

I have been called a lesbian because i like wearing trousers over skirts...lmao.
Reply 41
Original post by vicky.m
in most cases they aren't "trying to look sexy" in uniform... that just eliminates any room others have for argument. if you assume they're trying to look sexy then you're setting objectification as the norm.

i don't argue with the evolutionary response argument, but women shouldn't feel the need to cover up just because men can't control their dicks in a place that's meant to be professional.

i can't answer the question as to why men wear full suits. that just seems to happen. with this argument, we're also excluding the millions of women that also wear suits. with this regarded, the women wearing skirts with cleavage showing just don't want to wear suits, which is exactly what you're arguing for.

taking your anger out on women wearing the stuff men want to wear in the workplace doesn't change anything and nobody can answer why this happens. i'm just opposing the general tone of the OP which is making this out to be womens' fault

Of course I'm not saying it's the fault of women and obviously it sucks as many posters have mentioned how women can be criticised whichever side of the 'modesty' fence they sit

However, I do criticise the way that there seems to be a substantial gap between the extent to which women are allowed to 'flaunt' or show their bodies when compared to what men can do. It seems that there is an equality deficit when it comes to appropriate clothing for men and women

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Surely if they wanted to avoid objectification (which is by definition an automatic, evolutionary response to get males to reproduce) they could cover up, not even to the same standard as men but closer to it

If you use the argument "oh but women have the right to feel attractive in what they're wearing" I dispute that because does this mean men have the right to wear tank tops and tight clothes to accentuate their muscles? Of course not.

There seems to be so much pressure to let women wear whatever they want to feel attractive or sexy etc but why does this not exist for men?

A suit worn by a man is one of the least revealing garments available yet it is the most common in the workplace.

Are you really saying it's fair that women in the office wear a knee length skirt and a sleeveless top while a man wears ankle length trousers and full sleeves?

The double standard is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile

We earn less money than men and can't afford that extra fabric
Reply 43
Original post by chelseadagg3r

Wage gap is a myth

#triggered

Posted from TSR Mobile
They like to flaunt their goods I guess.

Why is this a thread again?

This comment is amazing.
Reply 46
So all the girls in this thread calling men mysoginistic and egotistical and saying that there's nothing wrong with women dressing in such a way in the work place, should everyone be able to wear what they want and be free from objectification?

PRSOM. Loving your posts lately :rofl:
Original post by 1010marina
Speak to a woman that works in any sector that requires business dress and not a uniform:
If we wear clothing that is long or completely covers up, words like prude, manly, butch, lesbian, etc. get tossed around.

What utter nonsense. I have been in the professional world (office environments in big companies, everyone in suit and tie/pants suit/costume) for some time now and NEVER heard that.

Conservative, modest clothes are considered professional and show you put emphasis on your skills and knowledge rather than your looks.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
What utter nonsense. I have been in the professional world (office environments in big companies, everyone in suit and tie/pants suit/costume) for some time now and NEVER heard that.

Conservative, modest clothes are considered professional and show you put emphasis on your skills and knowledge rather than your looks.

Really? See I would've thought that if your skills and knowledge don't speak for themselves, and instead you've got to fall back on something as arbitrary as what clothes you decided to wear in order to impress people, then I reckon you're in the wrong job mate.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Really? See I would've thought that if your skills and knowledge don't speak for themselves, and instead you've got to fall back on something as arbitrary as what clothes you decided to wear in order to impress people, then I reckon you're in the wrong job mate.

You've completely missed the point.

Women choosing to dress modestly are abstaining from wearing clothes that 'impress' (or distract) people and instead let their intellect speak.
You've completely missed the point.

Women choosing to dress modestly are abstaining from wearing clothes that 'impress' (or distract) people and instead let their intellect speak.

Whilst I can see where you're coming from, surely someone who lets the clothes that other people wear impress (or, indeed, distract) them should be questioning their own intellect instead of questioning the intellect of the person wearing the clothes?

Focus on the job and not the co-workers, no?
Whilst I can see where you're coming from, surely someone who lets the clothes that other people wear impress (or, indeed, distract) them should be questioning their own intellect instead of questioning the intellect of the person wearing the clothes?

Focus on the job and not the co-workers, no?

Humans don't work like that, you know...
Humans don't work like that, you know...

I disagree. Your clothes only say as much about you as the other person perceives that they do.

In a hypothetical scenario, say I worked in your workplace. I go to work suited and booted Mon-Thu, and on Friday I go in dressed in a clown costume.

The level that I'm working at throughout the week, including Friday, stays consistent, so how is it my fault if the level of your work is affected by my garb? Not my fault you can't keep your eyes off me :wink:

You pay attention to what you want to pay attention to, so if the level of my work remains the same throughout then my intellect cannot be brought into question.

But if your work doesn't remain consistent throughout, then maybe you should focus more on what you're doing instead of what I'm wearing. Priorities, man! Don't keep the boss waiting.
I disagree. Your clothes only say as much about you as the other person perceives that they do.

In a hypothetical scenario, say I worked in your workplace. I go to work suited and booted Mon-Thu, and on Friday I go in dressed in a clown costume.

The level that I'm working at throughout the week, including Friday, stays consistent, so how is it my fault if the level of your work is affected by my garb? Not my fault you can't keep your eyes off me :wink:

You pay attention to what you want to pay attention to, so if the level of my work remains the same throughout then my intellect cannot be brought into question.

But if your work doesn't remain consistent throughout, then maybe you should focus more on what you're doing instead of what I'm wearing. Priorities, man! Don't keep the boss waiting.

Eufff, we are getting farther and farther away from the point of this.

You are drawing up an extreme scenario here that bears no relevance to the real world.

Why would my level of work be affected by how you dress? I'd take a quick look at you in your clown costume, deduct that you're an idiot who cannot be taken seriously independent of the quality of your work, your boss would think the same, and you'd never get promoted beyond a certain level (espcially if you're client-facing). That's how people work. Actual competence isn't everything, heck, it's not even half.

The same goes for a girl dressing racy at the office. I'll perceive her as less competent (let alone honorable and desirable) regardless of her actual work, and everyone will do the same, including her superiors. It wouldn't affect my work quality - but it would affect her career.

BTW: Work week here in the Middle East is Sunday to Thursday. You could come in on Friday wearing whatever outfit you like... :wink:

Why would my level of work be affected by how you dress?

This...

I'll perceive her as less competent (let alone honorable and desirable) regardless of her actual work, and everyone will do the same, including her superiors. It wouldn't affect my work quality - but it would affect her career.

...strives contrary to this.

Either you're good at your job, or you're not. What you wear is irrelevant. Client-facing? Sure, I'll give you that one. Dress to impress and all that other archaic ********.

I had the same **** when I worked in a yard. Foreman was all "you gotta wear this t-shirt". Why? Wearing sleeveless tops isn't just easier as far as temperate regulation is concerned, it also allows me more freedom as far as arm movement is concerned.

But apparently wearing the "company colours" is more important than practicality :rolleyes:

It's all a load of ****, it's out-dated, and favouring one dress sense over another (extremes aside) has no place in modern society.

Meritocracy ftw.

It's all a load of ****, it's out-dated, and favouring one dress sense over another (extremes aside) has no place in modern society.

Meritocracy ftw.

Unfortunately it's all over modern society, and while it will very slowly fade, it will never go away. We are genetically programmed to judge people by their appearance to identify predators, allies, and mating partners - our fancy modern civil society (and its HR guidelines...) is just glossing that over.
Its a ruse quite typical among a certain brand of female (often waitresses and retail whores in particular) lacking any sort of personal depth who wants to gain a short cut to success/better tips.

Work as many hours as men then and don't do a gender studies degree.
Original post by Ano9901whichone
Work as many hours as men then and don't do a gender studies degree.

it's funny because we get paid less for the same hours, same job, and you know literally nothing about me

Latest