The Student Room Group

What is your Wilks Coefficient?

Hey everyone, thought I'd start a thread to compare our Wilks Coefficients for powerlifting.
(edited 6 years ago)
Age - 20
Bodyweight - 102.4kg in my last competition. Slightly leaner now.
Squat - 197.5kg
Bench - 130kg
Deadlift - 200kg
Wilks - 318.08
Age - 17
Bodyweight - 71kg
Squat - 140kg
Bench - 90kg
Deadlift - 165kg
Wilks - 292.85
Reply 3
Original post by meowgoesthedog
Age - 17
Bodyweight - 71kg
Squat - 140kg
Bench - 90kg
Deadlift - 165kg
Wilks - 292.85
Woah how are you so good at 17? :O
Original post by JRKinder
Woah how are you so good at 17? :O

Signed up for the gym on my 16th birthday so it's been a year and a half. Started at 53kg 5'7 with a 30kg squat and 25kg bench (as maxes). A growth spurt and 8 months of high volume P/P/L and another 6 of multiple cycles of candito 6 week program i'm at 5'9 at 71kg. Definitely a lot fatter now i'm around 20% body fat I just train to get stronger. Also i'd say its because I tried to make the most out of my noob gains.My squat went from 30kg to 110kg in the first 9 months.
Reply 5
Original post by meowgoesthedog
Signed up for the gym on my 16th birthday so it's been a year and a half. Started at 53kg 5'7 with a 30kg squat and 25kg bench (as maxes). A growth spurt and 8 months of high volume P/P/L and another 6 of multiple cycles of candito 6 week program i'm at 5'9 at 71kg. Definitely a lot fatter now i'm around 20% body fat I just train to get stronger. Also i'd say its because I tried to make the most out of my noob gains.My squat went from 30kg to 110kg in the first 9 months.
I think I've been going since around 14 but pre-16 most of it wasn't too serious. I've been benching and squatting for a while but I've literally only started deadlifting about two weeks ago since the last time I tried I really killed my back and was a bit worried about doing it again. But I learned the proper form and managed to get to 100kg on my first attempt at going to a 1 rep max so I'm happy for now :biggrin: I don't think I'm well built for it tbh though, I'm 6'0 so I have quite a bit of distance to move it. I've tried sumo-deadlifts though and they're a bit easier for me, so tomorrow I'm going to attempt to higher than 100. I don't think my situation is helped much by the fact that I have a bit of an aversion to putting on weight even if I try, and I've hovered around 63-66kg now for about a year since I mainly just trained to maintain rather than put on weight. I guess if I did I'd be able to lift a bit heavier, but I do things like swimming and running a lot too so I'm a bit apprehensive about losing my lean-ness. I suppose I'll have to pick between being more athletic and being a bit stronger lol. You have great stats though so well done!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TheStudentPower
Age - 20
Bodyweight - 102.4kg in my last competition. Slightly leaner now.
Squat - 197.5kg
Bench - 130kg
Deadlift - 200kg
Wilks - 318.08
Nice stats! :smile:
[QUOTE=JRKinder;67415944]I think I've been going since around 14 but pre-16 most of it wasn't too serious. I've been benching and squatting for a while but I've literally only started deadlifting about two weeks ago since the last time I tried I really killed my back and was a bit worried about doing it again. But I learned the proper form and managed to get to 100kg on my first attempt at going to a 1 rep max so I'm happy for now :biggrin: I don't think I'm well built for it tbh though, I'm 6'0 so I have quite a bit of distance to move it. I've tried sumo-deadlifts though and they're a bit easier for me, so tomorrow I'm going to attempt to higher than 100. I don't think my situation is helped much by the fact that I have a bit of an aversion to putting on weight even if I try, and I've hovered around 63-66kg now for about a year since I mainly just trained to maintain rather than put on weight. I guess if I did I'd be able to lift a bit heavier, but I do things like swimming and running a lot too so I'm a bit apprehensive about losing my lean-ness. I suppose I'll have to pick between being more athletic and being a bit stronger lol. You have great stats though so well done!

Your progress will stall if you don't bulk. Just go slowly.

Hence why his stats are better, you aren't allowing yourself to get stronger
Reply 8
Original post by Unistudent77
Your progress will stall if you don't bulk. Just go slowly.

Hence why his stats are better, you aren't allowing yourself to get stronger
Yes I am aware, but as I said since I do things like swimming/running I'm a bit apprehensive about putting too much weight on because that will likely have a negative impact on my ability to do those things.
[QUOTE=JRKinder;67416580]Yes I am aware, but as I said since I do things like swimming/running I'm a bit apprehensive about putting too much weight on because that will likely have a negative impact on my ability to do those things.

1/2 pound a week is pretty slow.

Doubt it will inhibit running or swimming that much.

Are you competing at an elite level in either?

If not, just bulk.

If so, well you'll have to sort of choose. Prioritise one or the other
1/2 pound a week is pretty slow.

Doubt it will inhibit running or swimming that much.

Are you competing at an elite level in either?

If not, just bulk.

If so, well you'll have to sort of choose. Prioritise one or the other
No I don't compete at an elite level in either, but I do want to remain lean. I think I'm going to try and focus on getting as strong as I can for my height/weight because I really don't want to put on too much weight if it risks putting on fat.

To update too, I managed to bring my deadlift up to 115kg from 100kg after giving my back a rest over the weekend, I'm pretty sure I could have gone heavier before but didn't want to risk my back at the time. I had a go at 120kg but struggled to get it off the ground, so I'm working towards that next. I nearly managed 80kg (up from 77.5kg) on the bench too, but annoyingly my left arm gave out a bit. I could have definitely managed it if I had two right-arms lol, but I'm confident of achieving 80kg with a bit of work :smile:
[QUOTE=JRKinder;67440698]No I don't compete at an elite level in either, but I do want to remain lean. I think I'm going to try and focus on getting as strong as I can for my height/weight because I really don't want to put on too much weight if it risks putting on fat.

To update too, I managed to bring my deadlift up to 115kg from 100kg after giving my back a rest over the weekend, I'm pretty sure I could have gone heavier before but didn't want to risk my back at the time. I had a go at 120kg but struggled to get it off the ground, so I'm working towards that next. I nearly managed 80kg (up from 77.5kg) on the bench too, but annoyingly my left arm gave out a bit. I could have definitely managed it if I had two right-arms lol, but I'm confident of achieving 80kg with a bit of work :smile:

You sound like i was when i started lifting (although you have been lifting longer than me).

Depends what you want to achieve mate but many people don't go above 16-18% bf. You'd still have vague abs. You wouldn't be fat.

You really don't get fat if you bulk by 1/2 lb a week. Only after like 6 months would you be a fair bit fatter, cut when you feel it is too much.

Start blog if you want, log it all there.

For 18 you're not doing badly at all.

Is that 1RM? I don't think you should be going so heavy so often....

Maybe use DBs on Bench occasionally to reduce any natural imbalances between you're 'strong' and 'weak' hands
You sound like i was when i started lifting (although you have been lifting longer than me).

Depends what you want to achieve mate but many people don't go above 16-18% bf. You'd still have vague abs. You wouldn't be fat.

You really don't get fat if you bulk by 1/2 lb a week. Only after like 6 months would you be a fair bit fatter, cut when you feel it is too much.

Start blog if you want, log it all there.

For 18 you're not doing badly at all.

Is that 1RM? I don't think you should be going so heavy so often....

Maybe use DBs on Bench occasionally to reduce any natural imbalances between you're 'strong' and 'weak' hands
Perhaps, I'm not immensely knowledgeable on what I'd need to eat in order to do that though. Most of my diet consists of things like chicken, turkey, fish and then carbs in the form of pasta and bread. As I said, I'm not really aiming for specific targets as I mainly just do it for enjoyment and to maintain my physique. I expect as I get a little older though I'll naturally start to get a bit heavier, so I should improve a bit then. I think I am fairly light for my height though, at 6'0 and only weighing 66kg (about 10.5 stones).

Yeah that was 1RM, and yeah I'm stopping for the next couple of sessions but I thought I could do better than last time so I thought I'd have one more go today. I do dumbbell presses on some weeks, so I guess I could do them a bit more frequently to try and boost my bench.
[QUOTE=JRKinder;67441632]Perhaps, I'm not immensely knowledgeable on what I'd need to eat in order to do that though. Most of my diet consists of things like chicken, turkey, fish and then carbs in the form of pasta and bread. As I said, I'm not really aiming for specific targets as I mainly just do it for enjoyment and to maintain my physique. I expect as I get a little older though I'll naturally start to get a bit heavier, so I should improve a bit then. I think I am fairly light for my height though, at 6'0 and only weighing 66kg (about 10.5 stones).

Yeah that was 1RM, and yeah I'm stopping for the next couple of sessions but I thought I could do better than last time so I thought I'd have one more go today. I do dumbbell presses on some weeks, so I guess I could do them a bit more frequently to try and boost my bench.

Track calories, eat 250 more than you expend per day = 1/2lb a week. Get 'myfitnesspal' bro.

You won't get much heavier if you don't feed your body. One of my friends from school doesn't lift and he is still 9 1/2 stone at 6'0.

I was his weight (perhaps even lighter) under 2 years ago at 5'10. I hit 11 1/2 stone a year after lifting but now i'm just under 11 stone as i'm broken, been out for around 5 months now. Should be back v soon.

You're light af. I'd say bulk like a stone. That would be 6 months at a nice slow pace. By April, cut by a pound a week. You'll be lean af by June. Rinse, repeat.

I made more progress in a 3 month bulk than i did in the first 8 months bulking then cutting instantly.

Why go for 1RM? Aim for like 3 sets of 5. Up the weight if you manage that.

1RM is not a good way of growing.

You say you've been hitting the gym for 'a few years' and yet your lifts are not great.

I'm not having a go, simply saying that you could be making better progress. 18 is a perfect time to make gains.
(edited 7 years ago)
Track calories, eat 250 more than you expend per day = 1/2lb a week. Get 'myfitnesspal' bro.

You won't get much heavier if you don't feed your body. One of my friends from school doesn't lift and he is still 9 1/2 stone at 6'0.

I was his weight (perhaps even lighter) under 2 years ago at 5'10. I hit 11 1/2 stone a year after lifting but now i'm just under 11 stone as i'm broken, been out for around 5 months now. Should be back v soon.

You're light af. I'd say bulk like a stone. That would be 6 months at a nice slow pace. By April, cut by a pound a week. You'll be lean af by June. Rinse, repeat.

I made more progress in a 3 month bulk than i did in the first 8 months bulking then cutting instantly.

Why go for 1RM? Aim for like 3 sets of 5. Up the weight if you manage that.

1RM is not a good way of growing.

You say you've been hitting the gym for 'a few years' and yet your lifts are not great.

I'm not having a go, simply saying that you could be making better progress. 18 is a perfect time to make gains.
Well as I've said, I've not been specifically going out to bulk up, most of what I've been doing is just maintaining and slowly building up over time. When I say I've been going for a few years, I mean for fun with friends rather than having specific strength goals or going out to bulk. Obviously I made little bits of progress over this time, but I've only really started doing it more seriously at about 17.

I know I'm light lol, I think the best way to describe my body type is 'athletic', I'm built a bit like a sprinter. I just have a serious aversion to putting on weight, like I've remained in the 63-66kg range for about a year. I've been getting stronger over this time, as in my lifts have increased a bit, but I am plateauing now I think. I guess to advance further I'll just have to suck it up and eat more, or just stay as I am. Last time I tried counting calories I got obsessive though, I actually ended up losing weight as I think I must have temporarily developed some sort of eating disorder where I refused to eat just about everything, so you can understand my natural caution to start doing that again.

Oh and the 1RM was just a point of interest this week to work out what it actually was. Most weeks I've done 4 sets of 8, but I'm moving onto sets of 5 with heavier weights now to build up a bit of strength. I'm only just 18 btw, as in literally a couple of weeks ago. I had to stop exercising completely over the exam period (about 2 months) which set me back a little bit. But yeah, overall its basically my aversion to eating that's stopping me from advancing further. For my height/weight I think I'm pretty close to my limits.

Edit: If you want an approximation, I'd say my physique is a bit like this:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=JRKinder;67443754]Well as I've said, I've not been specifically going out to bulk up, most of what I've been doing is just maintaining and slowly building up over time. When I say I've been going for a few years, I mean for fun with friends rather than having specific strength goals or going out to bulk. Obviously I made little bits of progress over this time, but I've only really started doing it more seriously at about 17.

I know I'm light lol, I think the best way to describe my body type is 'athletic', I'm built a bit like a sprinter. I just have a serious aversion to putting on weight, like I've remained in the 63-66kg range for about a year. I've been getting stronger over this time, as in my lifts have increased a bit, but I am plateauing now I think. I guess to advance further I'll just have to suck it up and eat more, or just stay as I am. Last time I tried counting calories I got obsessive though, I actually ended up losing weight as I think I must have temporarily developed some sort of eating disorder where I refused to eat just about everything, so you can understand my natural caution to start doing that again.

Oh and the 1RM was just a point of interest this week to work out what it actually was. Most weeks I've done 4 sets of 8, but I'm moving onto sets of 5 with heavier weights now to build up a bit of strength. I'm only just 18 btw, as in literally a couple of weeks ago. I had to stop exercising completely over the exam period (about 2 months) which set me back a little bit. But yeah, overall its basically my aversion to eating that's stopping me from advancing further. For my height/weight I think I'm pretty close to my limits.

Edit: If you want an approximation, I'd say my physique is a bit like this:

Spoiler

I know what you're body will pretty much look like.

I'm 2 inches smaller than you and weight 2.5kg more despite being injured for around 5 months.

You will have to suck it up.

I can understand what you are saying mate but if you don't track calories then you'll either not be in a surplus or you'll be bulking by too much. You need tp track ideally (but i can see how that can become a bit 'much')

It is your aversion to getting into a surplus that is stopping you.

If you bulk slowly, if you gain 14lbs, at least 7 should be muscle. Perhaps 9/10 as you're new to training.

That means that although your abs will go mushy, you'll look better not worse.

It is just something you have to do.

Do you want to be the guy on the left or the right on that bottom picture (ignoring the height difference)?

It is obvious we want to be the guy on the right.

I highly doubt you look like the first photo.

2nd one, guy on the left. Yeah, maybe with a pump.

There is no need to be lean in late autumn, winter and early spring.
I know what you're body will pretty much look like.

I'm 2 inches smaller than you and weight 2.5kg more despite being injured for around 5 months.

You will have to suck it up.

I can understand what you are saying mate but if you don't track calories then you'll either not be in a surplus or you'll be bulking by too much. You need tp track ideally (but i can see how that can become a bit 'much':wink:

It is your aversion to getting into a surplus that is stopping you.

If you bulk slowly, if you gain 14lbs, at least 7 should be muscle. Perhaps 9/10 as you're new to training.

That means that although your abs will go mushy, you'll look better not worse.

It is just something you have to do.

Do you want to be the guy on the left or the right on that bottom picture (ignoring the height difference)?

It is obvious we want to be the guy on the right.

I highly doubt you look like the first photo.

2nd one, guy on the left. Yeah, maybe with a pump.

There is no need to be lean in late autumn, winter and early spring.
Well I'll see how I go, I might try and eat a bit more than usual and continue with 5x5 sets. But no, it's not about "needing" to look lean in Autumn, Winter etc, it's more personal preference. I'm not trying to become huge, I'd rather stay athletic and lift less than get too bulky, but I'm not averse to putting on a bit more. Either way, I'll try eating a little more than usual over the next few weeks and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info though.

Regarding the first photo I meant proportionally, as in an 18 year old version of that lol, obviously he's a bit bigger than me. I was just trying to give an indication of my body type, as in muscle:fat ratio, I did say it wasn't an exact fit (but on google it was as close as I could get).
u have a good bench but ur deadlift needs work.

are those ur 1 rep maxs?
Yeah they're 1RMs, I only started deadlifting about 2-3 weeks ago so yeah I'm sure it could improve a little bit!
[QUOTE=JRKinder;67447034]Well I'll see how I go, I might try and eat a bit more than usual and continue with 5x5 sets. But no, it's not about "needing" to look lean in Autumn, Winter etc, it's more personal preference. I'm not trying to become huge, I'd rather stay athletic and lift less than get too bulky, but I'm not averse to putting on a bit more. Either way, I'll try eating a little more than usual over the next few weeks and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info though.

Regarding the first photo I meant proportionally, as in an 18 year old version of that lol, obviously he's a bit bigger than me. I was just trying to give an indication of my body type, as in muscle:fat ratio, I did say it wasn't an exact fit (but on google it was as close as I could get).

Ideally you should track so you consistently remain in a surplus.

You won't get huge, nor 'bulky'.

You're like a stone away from losing abs and 1.5-2 stone away from becoming anything like bulky.

He is bigger because he bulked then cut. Yes, you're young but that is no reason why you can't have a great physique.

Your lifts aren't bad for your weight. I think your bench is proportional to your deadlift fyi.

I was benching and deadlifting around that at 66kg back in January. Put about 20kg on my bench and 25kg on deadlift in 3/4 months until i broke.

You need to nail your diet in order to grow, simple as that

Quick Reply

Latest