The Student Room Group

is this maths and further maths module combination possible

maths AS c1 c2 d1 A2 c3 c4 m1
further maths AS fp1 s1 m2 A2 fp2 s2 s3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes.
It is possible in my exam board. However, I would advise completing FP3, especially if you are hoping to do something maths-related at university.
Reply 3
Yes. You don't actually choose where the applied units are allocated, but those units do fulfill the requirements.
Original post by Compost
Yes. You don't actually choose where the applied units are allocated, but those units do fulfill the requirements.

So how are they allocated then ik it works to give best scores but also i heardlike m2 cant go with maths without m1 and stuff
Reply 5
Original post by youreanutter
So how are they allocated then ik it works to give best scores but also i heardlike m2 cant go with maths without m1 and stuff

Does it matter? All you need to know is that you'll be allocated the best score possible with whatever restrictions are necessary.
Original post by Zacken
Does it matter? All you need to know is that you'll be allocated the best score possible with whatever restrictions are necessary.

but sometimes the best score is not the best grade if ygm like say i do badly on m1 d1 i want them to go to maths whilst the rest of the better ones i wud want for further maths as my further pure modules wont be as good as my core modules to cushion the bad applied modules so would i be able to swap it to that combination above to get the best grades?
Reply 7
but sometimes the best score is not the best grade if ygm like say i do badly on m1 d1 i want them to go to maths whilst the rest of the better ones i wud want for further maths as my further pure modules wont be as good as my core modules to cushion the bad applied modules so would i be able to swap it to that combination above to get the best grades?

They get you the best grades, not scores.
Original post by Zacken
They get you the best grades, not scores.

so it swaps automatically to get the best grades in both subjects
also how would it then differentiate between maybe a scenario where bad applied modules mean that u cud get A*B or AA in maths and further would you get to choose
Reply 9
also how would it then differentiate between maybe a scenario where bad applied modules mean that u cud get A*B or AA in maths and further would you get to choose

No. In that scenario you would get A*B (although since the A* is Maths is mainly dependent on C3 and C4 that have to go in Maths it's incredibly unlikely you'd get the 180 UMS needed in them but not the 480 overall without swapping applied units about). They maximise you Maths grade, then your FM grade, then your Maths UMS. The only time you get to chose is if you'd rather drop a Maths grade in order to pass FM -so you can opt to go from (say) C U to D E.

As someone said, they maximise your maths grade and then your FM grade. If on results day you realise there is an alternative grade combination you'd prefer, you can ask to change the order of cash ins.

However, they won't allow you to switch around modules purely for UMS.

Just have faith in the system and that it will give you the best grade in both subjects. And like I said, if you realise they can be changed to give you a more preferable grade combination, then you can do this. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

In Edexcel this isn't possible. I tried to put M1 with core maths and M2 with further and they wouldn't let me. M1 and M2 have to go together.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken

It does matter because you can move your modules around upon request to get the best grade in both. They prioritise core maths, so if you rearrange some modules it's possible to get a better grade in FM it happened to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by shuu00
It does matter because you can move your modules around upon request to get the best grade in both.

They will already allocate the your modules so you get the best grade in both.
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
They will already allocate the your modules so you get the best grade in both.

Not always, because they work with the core maths/ further maths combinations from AS. At the end of the two years you can swap the modules from say, AS maths to further and so on. Believe me, it happens. I had to swap mine around as they put my weaker modules with FM.
Original post by shuu00
In Edexcel this isn't possible. I tried to put M1 with core maths and M2 with further and they wouldn't let me. M1 and M2 have to go together.

Not true, I'm doing M1 for normal maths and M2 for further.
Reply 16
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Not true, I'm doing M1 for normal maths and M2 for further.

Have you actually done the exams and had them allocated?
Reply 17
Original post by shuu00
Not always, because they work with the core maths/ further maths combinations from AS. At the end of the two years you can swap the modules from say, AS maths to further and so on. Believe me, it happens. I had to swap mine around as they put my weaker modules with FM.

Which is why you always need to re-cash in your AS.
Original post by shuu00
Have you actually done the exams and had them allocated?

No im doing both this year, ppl in the year above have and i've seen their results sheet. M1 and M2 only have to go together for normal maths so M2 for normal and M1 for further isnt possible but the opposite is.

You can't decide where the applied modules go - the exam board does that to maximise your grades according to certain criteria.

For those modules there are various acceptable allocations of those applied choices.

Quick Reply

Latest