The Student Room Group

Should I transfer to Pharmacy?

Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me out.
I'm currently studying biomedical science and have just finished my first year, however I have been given the opportunity to transfer into the first year of MPharm. Do you think it'll be worth transferring courses (I'm 20 right now too) to have a better chance of getting a job in the future? I know things are changing and are rocky for both job prospects, so i'm just a little confused on what to do. Any help or input would be much appreciated. :beer:
Reply 1
Anyone?
The jobs in both biomedical science and pharmacy are very different.

Pharmacy is more patient based - dealing with the public/interacting in a sensible manner.
From what I heard the majority of jobs after studying biomed is research-based.
It depends on what you would prefer. But personally, If I had the chance I would go for pharmacy. Probably cause I'm biased and going into pharmacy myself ;] but it really does depend on what you want from the future and how you are as a person!:smile:
I would go for it :smile:

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Original post by Taffo
Anyone?

With a pharmacy degree you have the benefit of a professional job and because pharmacy is classed as a science degree you have the opportunity to take part in research and pretty much any other area of healthcare, and the pharmaceutical industry. Basically you'll have more opportunities.
Original post by Taffo
Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me out.
I'm currently studying biomedical science and have just finished my first year, however I have been given the opportunity to transfer into the first year of MPharm. Do you think it'll be worth transferring courses (I'm 20 right now too) to have a better chance of getting a job in the future? I know things are changing and are rocky for both job prospects, so i'm just a little confused on what to do. Any help or input would be much appreciated. :beer:

It depends what you like doing? By doing Biomed it opens you to whole array of post grad opportunities. But doing Pharmacy opens you up to a small range of post grad degrees but its easier to get a job with a pharmacy degree. If you are thinking of doing a post grad degree carry on with Biomed if not transfer to Pharmacy.
What do enjoy? Would you like to do more lab work or more patient contact?
Reply 6
Original post by aladdin818
The jobs in both biomedical science and pharmacy are very different.

Pharmacy is more patient based - dealing with the public/interacting in a sensible manner.
From what I heard the majority of jobs after studying biomed is research-based.
It depends on what you would prefer. But personally, If I had the chance I would go for pharmacy. Probably cause I'm biased and going into pharmacy myself ;] but it really does depend on what you want from the future and how you are as a person!:smile:

I totally understand where you're coming from. Personally I think i would prefer interacting with the public, and being more hands on, although I do enjoy lab work. :smile:

Original post by vee_wuvshugs
With a pharmacy degree you have the benefit of a professional job and because pharmacy is classed as a science degree you have the opportunity to take part in research and pretty much any other area of healthcare, and the pharmaceutical industry. Basically you'll have more opportunities.

ahh ok. So you still have the opportunity to study in research after anyway? I know it won't be exactly the same as Biomed obviously, but there is still scope. I think I would prefer just working in a Pharmacy or hospital, but it's nice to know that I could change if I wanted to!

Original post by kithu1602
It depends what you like doing? By doing Biomed it opens you to whole array of post grad opportunities. But doing Pharmacy opens you up to a small range of post grad degrees but its easier to get a job with a pharmacy degree. If you are thinking of doing a post grad degree carry on with Biomed if not transfer to Pharmacy.
What do enjoy? Would you like to do more lab work or more patient contact?

Yea, there's a wider variety of post grad for biomed rather than pharmacy but I guess with Pharmacy you don't really need to do a Post grad degree though right? I mean I know you don't with biomed, but it would be preferred to be in a specific area and favoured for when looking for a job! I think I would prefer patient contact for a whole career rather than just full on Lab work, although i still enjoy that too.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! :chaplin:I was just worried with all the job scares and everything and was a little confused! :bumps:
Also, does anyone know where would be the best place to do Pharmacy out of Hertfordshire, DMU and Brighton? :confused:
Pharmacy's a trainwreck I wouldn't if I were you. Are you aiming for postgrad as well?
Original post by Taffo
I totally understand where you're coming from. Personally I think i would prefer interacting with the public, and being more hands on, although I do enjoy lab work. :smile:

ahh ok. So you still have the opportunity to study in research after anyway? I know it won't be exactly the same as Biomed obviously, but there is still scope. I think I would prefer just working in a Pharmacy or hospital, but it's nice to know that I could change if I wanted to!

Yea, there's a wider variety of post grad for biomed rather than pharmacy but I guess with Pharmacy you don't really need to do a Post grad degree though right? I mean I know you don't with biomed, but it would be preferred to be in a specific area and favoured for when looking for a job! I think I would prefer patient contact for a whole career rather than just full on Lab work, although i still enjoy that too.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! :chaplin:I was just worried with all the job scares and everything and was a little confused! :bumps:
Also, does anyone know where would be the best place to do Pharmacy out of Hertfordshire, DMU and Brighton? :confused:

You can definitely carry out research (basic and/or clinical) as a pharmacist. If you choose a sciency area to do your research project in, e.g. pharmacology or molecular biology, you'll develop the lab-specific knowledge and skills that you would have with a biomedical sciences degree anyway.

From that you should then do your pre-registration year and qualify as a pharmacist. It's probably best to work for a couple of years as a pharmacist before embarking on a PhD as that way you'll have built up sufficient skills and contacts to enable you to locum during your PhD, to help supplement your stipend income.

Also, previous research experience is highly valued (and actually essential) for consultant pharmacist posts, where your job role must consist of a mix of expert clinical practice, research, education and training, and leadership/management.

Oh, and Brighton's the best :wink:

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by suitofgold
Pharmacy's a trainwreck I wouldn't if I were you. Are you aiming for postgrad as well?

Could you explain further on why? I would like to hear both sides before I make my decision so I can be completely sure, so your input would be helpful!:smile: and if I were to stay on my Biomed course, I would definitely be aiming for a postgrad also.

Original post by thegodofgod
You can definitely carry out research (basic and/or clinical) as a pharmacist. If you choose a sciency area to do your research project in, e.g. pharmacology or molecular biology, you'll develop the lab-specific knowledge and skills that you would have with a biomedical sciences degree anyway.
From that you should then do your pre-registration year and qualify as a pharmacist. It's probably best to work for a couple of years as a pharmacist before embarking on a PhD as that way you'll have built up sufficient skills and contacts to enable you to locum during your PhD, to help supplement your stipend income.
Also, previous research experience is highly valued (and actually essential) for consultant pharmacist posts, where your job role must consist of a mix of expert clinical practice, research, education and training, and leadership/management.
Oh, and Brighton's the best :wink: Hope this helps :smile:

Ohhh I see. Do you mean the research project at the final year of the course? Thanks a lot for your input and the breakdown of things, It's helped me put things into perspective as I've never really received any of this info before! :adore: I would be more than happy to work as a community or hospital pharmacist, but it's nice to know that I would be able to try something different if i wished to further on with some extra work! :gthumb:
Can I assume you are biased towards Brighton? haha. :beard:
Original post by Taffo
Ohhh I see. Do you mean the research project at the final year of the course? Thanks a lot for your input and the breakdown of things, It's helped me put things into perspective as I've never really received any of this info before! :adore: I would be more than happy to work as a community or hospital pharmacist, but it's nice to know that I would be able to try something different if i wished to further on with some extra work! :gthumb:
Can I assume you are biased towards Brighton? haha. :beard:

Yeah, the final year project (I didn't call it that because some universities have their students carry out their research project in 3rd year and some in 4th year, so as not to confuse you).

No probs, and yeah, that's my career aim - work towards becoming a consultant pharmacist clinically and also carry out / lead clinical research, ideally as an academic.

And yeah, I'm going into my final year at Brighton now :tongue:
Reply 11
Based on what I know of the degree and the career opportunities available, I would go for pharmacy. It is a professional qualification which could gain you NHS employment if you wanted to. However, if you did want to go into industry you would have all of the skills you needed to do so.*
Reply 12
Yeah, the final year project (I didn't call it that because some universities have their students carry out their research project in 3rd year and some in 4th year, so as not to confuse you).
No probs, and yeah, that's my career aim - work towards becoming a consultant pharmacist clinically and also carry out / lead clinical research, ideally as an academic.
And yeah, I'm going into my final year at Brighton now :tongue:

Ohh ok, so the research project could help me out later on! and that's good, you have such a clear plan of what you intend to do in the future.
Ah no wonder, good luck with your final year! :redface: I may be starting at Brighton this September, only problem with Brighton is that the accommodation is terrible. It's difficult finding anything right now. :s-smilie:

Original post by giella
Based on what I know of the degree and the career opportunities available, I would go for pharmacy. It is a professional qualification which could gain you NHS employment if you wanted to. However, if you did want to go into industry you would have all of the skills you needed to do so.*

Thanks for your input :smile: I think I'm swaying more towards transferring now.
Original post by Taffo
Ohh ok, so the research project could help me out later on! and that's good, you have such a clear plan of what you intend to do in the future.
Ah no wonder, good luck with your final year! :redface: I may be starting at Brighton this September, only problem with Brighton is that the accommodation is terrible. It's difficult finding anything right now. :s-smilie:

Thanks for your input :smile: I think I'm swaying more towards transferring now.

Oh that's great! Yeah, the accommodation is pretty crap and expensive for what it is! Try and go private if you can - have you joined the Brighton house-hunting group on Facebook?
Reply 14
Oh that's great! Yeah, the accommodation is pretty crap and expensive for what it is! Try and go private if you can - have you joined the Brighton house-hunting group on Facebook?

Yep, halls are fully booked anyway, so there is no chance in that. I've joined that group and joined a group of 4 within it. Someone's found a place on or near crayford road I believe, do you know anything about that area? Need to check that out, 1700 for first month's rent + deposit + agency fees... also have you heard of something called the reserved room scheme? Some people have secured a place through that so just wanted to know how that worked. :smile:
Original post by Taffo
Yep, halls are fully booked anyway, so there is no chance in that. I've joined that group and joined a group of 4 within it. Someone's found a place on or near crayford road I believe, do you know anything about that area? Need to check that out, 1700 for first month's rent + deposit + agency fees... also have you heard of something called the reserved room scheme? Some people have secured a place through that so just wanted to know how that worked. :smile:

It's a good, studenty area but get ready to walk up a steep hill :tongue:

Never heard of the reserved room thing - I went straight through to halls (Falmer) as I firmed Brighton early on in the application process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending