The Student Room Group

Want To Study In The US But I Have a Lot of Questions

I really need help answering some questions about US universities. I'm interested in applying but there are some questions I need answering before I decide to go for it. I've just received my GCSE results and I got 2 A's, 4 B's and the rest were C's. I'm taking Business, IT, Media Studies and I'm forced to also take Welsh Bacc.

Questions-

1) My hopes of going to the US for uni all depend on whether I can get a scholarship. How hard are they to get? I'm confident I can do well in my A Levels and I don't mind going to a less prestigious university if it meant getting a scholarship

2) I have a father who lives abroad. Is his income is included in my family income? In the UK it's only household income so I will qualify for more financial assistance. My dad earns a lot and I'm afraid that the US university won't offer me a scholarship because they'll expect my father to pay for a lot of it.

3) How much studying is required for the SAT? Are there tutors who teach it or would I have to self study it all?

4) What are my chances of staying after university? I've researched a lot about H1-B visas and I've heard they're pretty hard to get. I'm hoping to get my degree in elementary school teaching.

5) Are there any other ways of funding it? I know I could get a job but in the application process you have to prove you can afford it and saying you'll get a job doesn't count.

6) Is it possible to go to a big city to do it? I know living costs are higher but I'd preferably want to do my degree in Los Angeles or San Diego.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I am Italian but got into UCLA, UCSD (but got rejected by Berkeley). At the end decided to go to UCL.
Scholarships are really hard to get for foreigners, so keep that in mind. There are none for public unis (ucla is about 40k dollars/year, everything included). For private unis consider that they are even more expensive, so scholarships can help you only so much. I know of a girl that goes I the us but she got a sport scholarship (plus she is rly rich, so...)

2) I think yes, but REALLY NOT sure
3) there are classes all over the world but are expensive. I got a 1960 (which is considered good) with around 1 month of study (since eng is your first language and Americans rly don't know many eng words, it would be easier for you). It costs around 50-80€ to take it and you can take the exam as many times you want. So you can try and see at what level you are. (For self study I advise the sat official book, which is te cheapest)

4) don't know at all
5) loans at home (but that depends on you and your family, I don't know if it is an option for you. Also consider it it worth it, you would get a debt of over 100k...)

6) I guess that unis in small city are not that good (in general and in really small cities). It is possible, that depends on you and what you like.

If you have other questions just ask :smile: you can also pm me :smile:

Just... You know that the first 2 years you will have to take all kind of subjects (eng, math, ...). That factor was really important for me.
Reply 2
Original post by ellie997
Hi :smile: I am Italian but got into UCLA, UCSD (but got rejected by Berkeley). At the end decided to go to UCL.
Scholarships are really hard to get for foreigners, so keep that in mind. There are none for public unis (ucla is about 40k dollars/year, everything included). For private unis consider that they are even more expensive, so scholarships can help you only so much. I know of a girl that goes I the us but she got a sport scholarship (plus she is rly rich, so...)

2) I think yes, but REALLY NOT sure
3) there are classes all over the world but are expensive. I got a 1960 (which is considered good) with around 1 month of study (since eng is your first language and Americans rly don't know many eng words, it would be easier for you). It costs around 50-80€ to take it and you can take the exam as many times you want. So you can try and see at what level you are. (For self study I advise the sat official book, which is te cheapest)

4) don't know at all
5) loans at home (but that depends on you and your family, I don't know if it is an option for you. Also consider it it worth it, you would get a debt of over 100k...)

6) I guess that unis in small city are not that good (in general and in really small cities). It is possible, that depends on you and what you like.

If you have other questions just ask :smile: you can also pm me :smile:

Just... You know that the first 2 years you will have to take all kind of subjects (eng, math, ...). That factor was really important for me.

Thank you so much! This really helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending