The Student Room Group

Should I apply for economics?

So my predicted grades are most likely going to be A*(Biology) A(Spanish) A(Maths). I was originally going to apply for only accounting/finance because I thought I didn't have the A* to apply for economics. The typical requirements are A*AA with an A in maths. If I gear my personal statement towards both economics and finance do you think that will put me at a disadvantage? Also do high end unis secretly want an A* in maths ?
Which unis are you thinking of?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by blitzchika
So my predicted grades are most likely going to be A*(Biology) A(Spanish) A(Maths). I was originally going to apply for only accounting/finance because I thought I didn't have the A* to apply for economics. The typical requirements are A*AA with an A in maths. If I gear my personal statement towards both economics and finance do you think that will put me at a disadvantage? Also do high end unis secretly want an A* in maths ?

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you :smile: Some Uni's, Queen Mary, City don't mind you doing a personal statement which caters for both. However, Uni's like Warwick and LSE want you to target your preferred subject instead, you would be disadvantaged if you did both. I've emailed these Uni's btw and this is what they had basically said.
Reply 3
Original post by AlexS101
Which unis are you thinking of?

Bath, Warwick, Durham
Reply 4
Original post by Ze Witcher
Hi, I'm in the same situation as you :smile: Some Uni's, Queen Mary, City don't mind you doing a personal statement which caters for both. However, Uni's like Warwick and LSE want you to target your preferred subject instead, you would be disadvantaged if you did both. I've emailed these Uni's btw and this is what they had basically said.

Well this is difficult :/ Is the email you used on their website because I have some other questions I'd like to ask too
Well this is difficult :/ Is the email you used on their website because I have some other questions I'd like to ask too

Well this was only for LSE but the rest I had done through email. What questions are you considering on asking? :smile:
Bath, Warwick, Durham

These universities are likely to ask for an A* in Maths. If you still aren't sure then email them directly.
Original post by BasicMistake
These universities are likely to ask for an A* in Maths. If you still aren't sure then email them directly.

Not really, they're an A in Maths
Reply 8
Well this was only for LSE but the rest I had done through email. What questions are you considering on asking? :smile:

Whether they look down on resits and how much they value the EPQ
Not really, they're an A in Maths

I'm assuming that they see Maths as the most relevant subject within that set of three.
Whether they look down on resits and how much they value the EPQ

Well I doubt they look down on resits but thats probably best if you ask them just in case, at the moment all I know is that LSE do but then again you're looking at Bath,Warwick and Durham. As for the EPQ, I know Bath lower their offer from A*AA to AAA+A in EPQ so it helps in terms of that offer, not so sure about the other Unis.
Original post by BasicMistake
I'm assuming that they see Maths as the most relevant subject within that set of three.

Yes, I think many A*AA Economics courses, most want an A in Maths apart from LSE and UCL which want an A*
Yes apply for it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending