The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medic99
No problem. I've done my exam and want to help others.

I used medify, which by far is the best resource out there. I bought all the books (including 1000q book) and regret wasting my parents money lol.
The books:
a) aren't timed
b) isn't a computer screen so you will read faster from books anyway
c) isn't in the correct format of the exam
so the books are a waste of time to simulate the real thing but are mediocre to learn from, though online resources are far better.
I got 740 in QR and in the medify mocks got in the 500's in all. The real thing isn't marked as harshly as the mocks so don't worry about scores, IGNORE THEM. just practice fast mental maths or get used to numlock calculator.

For advise on AR read my other posts a couple of pages earlier. Good luck :smile:

thank you!

yeah I realised that just recently that book practice is not as helpful as practising online... the thing is I don't practice on an actual computer.... only on a laptop...
should I be worried? is using an actual computer mouse harder/slower than using a laptop touch pad?

another Q: how many of the QR questions did you manage to finish in the real thing? and did you attempt doing all the Qs on medify?

thanks so much.... really appreciate your help!
Original post by &Hope
if you did do any of the timed one, or if you didn't, don't you think AR is really hard... they give the most random patterns.... I've been told to use the 1000q book and maybe medify to practice AB and the patterns on this website are soo different

have you done your exam? if you did how did you find QR?

sorry for asking too many questions it's just I got my exam tomorrow and I'm getting really bad scores:frown:

Same here, mine is in two days and my score is really bad. I'm a GEM candidate so the cut off is very high*:frown:.

But since yesterday i've been reading Medic99 posts, and I'm starting to just not focus on scores at all. Practicing and hoping for the best on the day. Having a negative mindset due to bad scores won't help us on the day. Medic99 has given some great advice in the comments and reading them has helped make me feel positive.*

Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:*
Original post by 123ash
Same here, mine is in two days and my score is really bad. I'm a GEM candidate so the cut off is very high*:frown:.

But since yesterday i've been reading Medic99 posts, and I'm starting to just not focus on scores at all. Practicing and hoping for the best on the day. Having a negative mindset due to bad scores won't help us on the day. Medic99 has given some great advice in the comments and reading them has helped make me feel positive.*

can i have a link to whatever youre reading please?
Original post by xJessScott
can i have a link to whatever youre reading please?

Hi, Medic99 posted comments in this thread a few pages back.
Original post by 123ash

thanks!
Hey everyone! So relieved to get my UKCAT over and done with, honestly this thread has been my saviour over the past month!! :redface: In the end I got:

VR: 680
(WAY harder than any mock I have done, was getting 750-800 in them all :frown:passages are quite long, and I was so terribly nervous I probably ruined my chances for this section anyway. UKCAT mock A was probably most similar to the passage lengths, or ISC 1000Q. My advice would be STAY calm!! And do the normal scanning tecnique thing)
AR: 860
(SO SO happy. In the exam, I was convinced I did badly as I thought half the patterns had a secondary condition like the ones in basically every mock, but apparently not! The patterns were not EASY per se, I actually found them quite difficult but idk magic happens. Id say the mock most similar to it is UKCAT mock C or A, it is nowhere near as hard as B)
QR: 890
(OH MY GOD THE MOCKS ARE SOOOO DECIEVING. Every single practice question I had ever done was a million times harder. I would honestly say add 100-150 on the scores you get in the mocks and that is likely to be your score. All of the questions were simple percentage increase, average, median and mode questions, and the data was very easy to interperet. This section really calmed me down from my awful VR. HAVE HOPE EVERYONE)
SJ: Band 1
(The passages were a lot longer than in mocks and me, who usually has about 18 minutes to spare, only had 6, so if you generally finish around the time be aware of this! In general pretty similar to the mocks except there were a few ambiguous questions thar I literally changed a thousand times)

Overall total= 2430, average=810! :redface: So so relieved, bring on the BMAT now (sigh). If anyone has any questions please ask!
Original post by isabella1999
Hey everyone! So relieved to get my UKCAT over and done with, honestly this thread has been my saviour over the past month!! :redface: In the end I got:

(WAY harder than any mock I have done, was getting 750-800 in them all :frown:passages are quite long, and I was so terribly nervous I probably ruined my chances for this section anyway. UKCAT mock A was probably most similar to the passage lengths, or ISC 1000Q. My advice would be STAY calm!! And do the normal scanning tecnique thing)
(SO SO happy. In the exam, I was convinced I did badly as I thought half the patterns had a secondary condition like the ones in basically every mock, but apparently not! The patterns were not EASY per se, I actually found them quite difficult but idk magic happens. Id say the mock most similar to it is UKCAT mock C or A, it is nowhere near as hard as B)
(OH MY GOD THE MOCKS ARE SOOOO DECIEVING. Every single practice question I had ever done was a million times harder. I would honestly say add 100-150 on the scores you get in the mocks and that is likely to be your score. All of the questions were simple percentage increase, average, median and mode questions, and the data was very easy to interperet. This section really calmed me down from my awful VR. HAVE HOPE EVERYONE)
(The passages were a lot longer than in mocks and me, who usually has about 18 minutes to spare, only had 6, so if you generally finish around the time be aware of this! In general pretty similar to the mocks except there were a few ambiguous questions thar I literally changed a thousand times)

Overall total= 2430, average=810! :redface: So so relieved, bring on the BMAT now (sigh). If anyone has any questions please ask!

Congrats on such an amazing score!!!

I will only dream of getting a score like that :smile:*
Original post by 123ash
Congrats on such an amazing score!!!

I will only dream of getting a score like that :smile:*

Thank you! :colondollar: What have you been getting in mocks? I got 450 in Mock A QR a few days ago, that transformation, it is possible!

amazing score!! hope my score is like yours aha. for VR ive always been ok but some reason im really struggling the past few days and just wondered what your technique was?
where are you applying?
does anyone think.. quickly reading the passage works?
Original post by xJessScott
amazing score!! hope my score is like yours aha. for VR ive always been ok but some reason im really struggling the past few days and just wondered what your technique was?
where are you applying?

Thanks! I'm sure you will do great dw! My technique changed depending on the question, I'm not one for tecniques aha (literally had none for abstract just stared and hoped something would come to me). For T/F/CT questions (I literally got two sets of these so annoying) I picked out the key word that was not likely to come up more than once, scanned the passage for it and read the associated sentence only. For comprehension, i either read through the answers if there are a few obvious ones that could not be right, then picked a feasible one and scanned for key words. If it was a question where all the answers were similar and could be right, after crying on the inside I read the question intro, scanned for the topic(s) it was talking about and eliminated answers (these took FOREVER). It just depends on the question.

Honestly you just need to stay calm! I was so scared I started not concentrating at all (I thought my left arm hurt, then was just thinking "OH NO that is a sign of a heart attack right omg what if I am so nervous I caused myself to have a heart attack omg") so I was not really concentrating on the text at all hahaha:biggrin: so If you feel nervous take deep breaths then carry on! Good luck!

I am thinking Cambridge, Edinburgh or Kings, Birmingham and Nottingham but idk, what about you?
UKCAT tomorrow at 1145! bricking it. hows this for modify mock 3 guys? 600 VR 700 QR and 630 AR with band 1? it feels low as I'm aiming for 700, however i haven't actually ever got 700 average in any mocks. cheers

also can u use the numlock key to clear calculator does anybody know? on modify you cant
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by steenis
UKCAT tomorrow at 1145! bricking it. hows this for modify mock 3 guys? 600 VR 700 QR and 630 AR with band 1? it feels low as I'm aiming for 700, however i haven't actually ever got 700 average in any mocks. cheers

also can u use the numlock key to clear calculator does anybody know? on modify you cant

I couldnt, I had to pres the on/c button every time and it disappeared after each question, very annoying. Good luck! :redface:
I couldnt, I had to pres the on/c button every time and it disappeared after each question, very annoying. Good luck! :redface:

thank u! your score is ridiculous - very well done. are my scores anywhere near to anything you were getting in mocks or not?
Original post by steenis
thank u! your score is ridiculous - very well done. are my scores anywhere near to anything you were getting in mocks or not?

Aw thanks! :redface: I cannot really remember, hold on a bit, I made an excel document with all my mock scores will post it in a sec

Congrats!! That's an amazing score :-) How long did you spend revising a day approx, and how many weeks before did you start? Thanks :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by marsbar3007
Congrats!! That's an amazing score :-) How long did you spend revising a day approx, and how many weeks before did you start? Thanks :-)

Thank you!! I started a week after I finished school (so like 25th of July) and did about an hour a day, two hours this past week :redface: Do little, often :smile:

Hi! Congrats on your amazing scores! Would you say that QR was harder than the mocks on kaplan as well?
Reply 3898
got 673, how is this for dentistry at Kings or Queen Mary's. Feeling disappointed at the moment
Original post by adulay
got 673, how is this for dentistry at Kings or Queen Mary's. Feeling disappointed at the moment

still a good score, dont let it get you down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending