The Student Room Group

Final Year Project - Information Systems

Hi,
I am so stuck on what to do for my final year project. I am currently going into my third year of information systems and I have to decide by the end of this month! I'm not the best with coding but I understand I may have to get my head round it. Would anyone be able to give me any ideas that would help me. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by nwlondon
Hi,
I am so stuck on what to do for my final year project. I am currently going into my third year of information systems and I have to decide by the end of this month! I'm not the best with coding but I understand I may have to get my head round it. Would anyone be able to give me any ideas that would help me. Thanks

What have projects from previous years done? What modules have you taken in your two years so far and which of those modules have you done well at and enjoyed?

Your FYP doesn't need to be heavily code based. It is common for most FYPs to be graded on the quality of what you produce as a document, not what you write as software. This might not be true on your course but is certainly was for a large number of different Computer Science based courses at my university. The code portion for my FYP was a proof of concept only - it formed about 10% of my overall work towards my FYP. The other 90% was the documentation and research around it. I know people who had no programming experience and never wanted to learn any, and they got very high marks in their FYP - and ultimately first class degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by SpiffyTheSeal
What have projects from previous years done? What modules have you taken in your two years so far and which of those modules have you done well at and enjoyed?

Your FYP doesn't need to be heavily code based. It is common for most FYPs to be graded on the quality of what you produce as a document, not what you write as software. This might not be true on your course but is certainly was for a large number of different Computer Science based courses at my university. The code portion for my FYP was a proof of concept only - it formed about 10% of my overall work towards my FYP. The other 90% was the documentation and research around it. I know people who had no programming experience and never wanted to learn any, and they got very high marks in their FYP - and ultimately first class degrees.

Thank you. So what you're trying to say is that the main part of the project is the final piece and the research and documentation is what contribute to most of the marks.
Reply 3
Original post by nwlondon
Thank you. So what you're trying to say is that the main part of the project is the final piece and the research and documentation is what contribute to most of the marks.

At least in my degree, yes that's totally right. I think lots of degrees do it that way. I have no idea if yours does, but not having a strong programming-orientated FYP is not necessarily a bad thing, it all depends how you spin it and produce the supporting documentation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending