The Student Room Group

How to survive a plane crash

I decided to make a thread about how to survive a plane crash since a few people said I should. After watching a few videos out of being REALLY bored, I gathered this information.

When the plane crashes you have to get to the exit door within 90 seconds because of the toxic smoke. Do not try to retrieve possessions during this vital time.

Brace Position will offer you the best chance of survival. The important thing is to get your upper torso down as much as possible, limiting the 'jackknife' effect from impact forces.

The safest seats are behind the wing. Studies have revealed that people sitting behind the wing had a 40 percent greater chance of surviving than passengers in the front of the plane, and aisle seats near an exit row are among the safest.

Count how many seats you are from the exit. If the plane is filled with smoke you can touch the seats to find the way to the exit.

If the plane crashes into the ocean do not inflate your life vest until you're outside the plane because you could get trapped in the plane. In addition to the risk of being trapped, the over wing exits are small. If you inflate your vest before exiting, you'll have a harder time getting out, and you're more likely to tear the vest.
(edited 7 years ago)
nice bit of research :smile: yet most of the plane crashes we hear about on the news are the ones where all the passengers and crew on board were killed. Since the plane explodes while airborne, or impacts the ground or water with more g-force than usual, or hits a building
Reply 2
Nice!)

Spoiler

Original post by saraxh
I decided to make a thread about how to survive a plane crash since a few people said I should. After watching a few videos out of being REALLY bored, I gathered this information.

When the plane crashes you have to get to the exit door within 90 seconds because of the toxic smoke. Do not try to retrieve possessions during this time.

Brace Position will offer you the best chance of survival. The important thing is to get your upper torso down as much as possible, limiting the 'jackknife' effect from impact forces.

The safest seats are behind the wing. Studies have revealed that people sitting behind the wing had a 40 percent greater chance of surviving than passengers in the front of the plane, and aisle seats near an exit row are among the safest.

Count how many seats you are from the exit. If the plane is filled with smoke you can touch the seats to find the way to the exit.

If the plane crashes into the ocean do not inflate your life vest until you're outside the plane because you could get trapped in the plane. In addition to the risk of being trapped, the over wing exits are small. If you inflate your vest before exiting, you'll have a harder time getting out, and you're more likely to tear the vest.

i have binge watched all those conspiracy videos and can't get enough of it!
Reply 4
Safest seat in a plane crash? Ejector seat, pull the ripcord

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty sure that if it ever happens to me I'll do everything right and be killed by an idiot in front of me inflating their lifejacket too soon and getting trapped in the overwing door... I won't be able to pop their jacket cos they're funny about letting you on with a knife these days :yep:
Original post by Joinedup
Pretty sure that if it ever happens to me I'll do everything right and be killed by an idiot in front of me inflating their lifejacket too soon and getting trapped in the overwing door... I won't be able to pop their jacket cos they're funny about letting you on with a knife these days :yep:

There was an incident were the passengers inflated their life vests when the cabin crew said not to. They passed away(documentary). :frown: Maybe it's because the fear gets to people hmm
Original post by saraxh
There was an incident were the passengers inflated their life vests when the cabin crew said not to. They passed away(documentary). :frown: Maybe it's because the fear gets to people hmm

If you're interested in this stuff I can recommend the Air Disaster books by Macarthur Job - they're serious books in spite of the rather lurid title.
Reply 8
Original post by saraxh

Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 springs to mind. Perhaps due to the situation of being hijacked, passengers were acting out of fear and inflated it without thinking. I guess they assume it will save their life but only when they are outside the plane :frown:

I watch a lot of Air Crash Investigation! You should as well, it's so interesting!
I don't like the idea of bending over when the plane is crashing. Will that not put a lot more pressure on one area of the spine?
Original post by UWS
Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 springs to mind. Perhaps due to the situation of being hijacked, passengers were acting out of fear and inflated it without thinking. I guess they assume it will save their life but only when they are outside the plane :frown:

I watch a lot of Air Crash Investigation! You should as well, it's so interesting!

Yeah idk if the second part is true or not but most people will die from hypothermia in the ocean. The life vests are there so they can find the passengers bodies if they die. :s-smilie:
Original post by SCIENCE :D
I don't like the idea of bending over when the plane is crashing. Will that not put a lot more pressure on one area of the spine?

I found this on the brace position.

MythBusters Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara put their dummy Buster through a series of simulated plane crashes to see if that myth would survive. They bought airline seats and built a mini plane cabin to suspend from a crane. Then they dropped the cabin 15 feet (4.6 meters) to see how Buster fared sitting upright versus in the brace position. From that height, Buster hit the ground with about 21 g-force units of impact.Although the ShockWatch stickers on Buster's body showed that he would've made it out alive in either position, his body absorbed more of the impact while sitting upright than in the brace position. Sitting in the brace position channels the crash force from your body to the chair in front of you. That explains why the Federal Aviation Agency claims it's statistically three times safer to brace for an airplane wreck than to remain upright.
Original post by UWS

I've finally found someone else who watches ACI! I've seen every episode (I think, at least).

When I describe it to my friends they look at me like I'm a sadist!
Its all well and good in theory but the reality is that fat sweaty northern bloke will have his pits in ur face blocking you in trying to retrieve his measly belongings them 2 brats who were kicking your seat for the past hour will be screaming and climbing all over the place. You will be in so much shock and fear that the lifejacket and the safety information you thought you understood will look as complex as a rubix cube

Best just to not be unlucky
Original post by Betelgeuse-

--snip--

Yeah not mentioned yet... but first world airlines have the best safety records so step zero is only getting on board a plane that's been properly maintained in the first place.
Interestingly only about 10% of aircraft accidents involve fatalities anyway
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Its all well and good in theory but the reality is that fat sweaty northern bloke will have his pits in ur face blocking you in trying to retrieve his measly belongings them 2 brats who were kicking your seat for the past hour will be screaming and climbing all over the place. You will be in so much shock and fear that the lifejacket and the safety information you thought you understood will look as complex as a rubix cube

If that happens you walk on top of the seats towards of the exit. People did this and survived. Unfortunately the others who waited a queue did not.

Quick Reply

Latest