The Student Room Group

Missing 15 credits to graduate. Do I need to do anoth whole year just for one module?

Hi guys,

I hope somebody can help with some advice.

I failed one module in my first year, then passed all modules in my 2nd year and just now received a 3rd year progression letter stating that I am enrolled in my 3rd year successfully but I can only graduate in 2018 because I can only take 120 credits per year so I need to do one module more but only the following year (17/18).

I am so frustrated right now. I don't want to take another whole year to graduate just because of one failed module of 15 credits. Program administrator was super rude and unprofessional and wrote this when I complained: "Failing to take responsibility for your actions will not get you far in academic life".

What are my options here? I am studying at one of the UOL colleges.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Cheers
Z
Why is this only just coming up now? Have you done a resit?

If you already resat then retaking the year is the only option left really... I doubt there's anything much you can do about it
Reply 2
Original post by mrz-ldn
Hi guys,

I failed one module in my first year, then passed all modules in my 2nd year and just now received a 3rd year progression letter stating that I am enrolled in my 3rd year successfully but I can only graduate in 2018 because I can only take 120 credits per year so I need to do one module more but only the following year (17/18).

I am so frustrated right now. I don't want to take another whole year to graduate just because of one failed module of 15 credits. Program administrator was super rude and unprofessional and wrote this when I complained: "Failing to take responsibility for your actions will not get you far in academic life".

Cheers
Z

calm down. i am fairly sure that you just need to retake the one unit you failed, and not resit the whole year (more than one unit). I'm sorry this has happened to you, but best knuckle down then huh?
Reply 3
Talk to your Student Union. It's odd that you've been permitted to get this far with missing first year credits. That smacks of an admin error on the uni's part. Were you not given any guidance on your missing first year credits at the time?

Having said that, you do need to pass 360 credits to get an Honours degree. There's no way round that one. How your uni chooses to arrange that, is up to them. Your SU may be able to advise on potential options as they will onow how the uni works in cases like this.
Reply 4
Original post by mrz-ldn
Hi guys,

Cheers
Z

Can you do a language class after hours to get the 15?
Reply 5
Original post by Assan
Can you do a language class after hours to get the 15?

No you can't. It has to be proper university grades.
Original post by john2054

Some universities offer additional language courses that can be credit bearing.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

not to my knowledge
Original post by mrz-ldn
Hi guys,

Cheers
Z

Why wasnt this picked up in the first year? on what basis did they let you proceed into the second year?

You need to read the rules published by your university and normally available on the website. If you need 360 and theres a max 120 a year, then you should check whether that includeds resits.

Go to the SU (as suggested) and talk to someone who is able to read the rules or read them yourself as they will explain the situation.

I would expect there to be a way to finish you degree within the time. From the littel you posted it looks like you got up the program directors nose, when a more diplomaic approach might have had them helping to explain if there were any altenatives. The rules will tell you your options.
Reply 10

Original post by PQ

^ Pretty much. At my university, you can take them for 15/12 or 30/24 credits.

Original post by Assan
^ Pretty much. At my university, you can take them for 15/12 or 30/24 credits.

It would also require switching from single honours to a joint honours programme. Are you sure that the op wants to go through with this?
It would also require switching from single honours to a joint honours programme. Are you sure that the op wants to go through with this?

None of those options require switching to a joint honours degree - they're credits on optional module choices.

A single 15 credit language unit doesn't make your degree no longer single honours.
Reply 13

Original post by PQ
None of those options require switching to a joint honours degree - they're credits on optional module choices.

A single 15 credit language unit doesn't make your degree no longer single honours.

Again, PQ is correct. It is sometimes an extracurricular activity that is credit-bearing. It may also not count towards the OP's maximum course-load. I don't know their programme or university, and university regulations will determine whether or not an extra language class is a solution for them; however, it's certainly worth following up on as it may save them a year.
Reply 14
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will reach out to SU as few of you suggested - finger crossed I will sort this out.

Regards
Z

Quick Reply

Latest