The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by kayasparkles
I apologise if this has already been answered before but do universities tend to look at the breakdown of the scores (i.e each section VR, QR, AR and SJT) or do they look at the overall average to make a decision? Many thanks

Most will just say you need a minimum in each, then an average above a certain point. I.e. St Georges require you get at least 500+ in each section, and an average of 650.
I apologise if this has already been answered before but do universities tend to look at the breakdown of the scores (i.e each section VR, QR, AR and SJT) or do they look at the overall average to make a decision? Many thanks

Most universities only look at your total score. Some, like Plymouth and SGUL want you to meet a minimum score in each sub section, but also want you to exceed a minimum total score, also.

Look at each of the universities individual admissions policies to find out if they do want that and how they use the UKCAT.
GCSEs:
- 9A*s, 4As, 1B

AS Levels:
Biology A
Chemistry B
Maths A
Psychology B
Gov&Politics D (two year early entry)

Hoping to be predicted AAA/A*AA for A2, for Bio, Chem and Maths

Work experience/volunteering:
2 weeks at a hospital shadowing doctors in the stroke unit
Ongoing volunteering at a care home
3 years+ volunteering at library

Wider reading:
Being Mortal
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
sBMJ
The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine
Bad Science

Potential universities:
UCL
Queen Mary
University of Bristol
University of Sheffield
University of Liverpool

UKCAT:
Verbal Reasoning: 630
Quantitative Reasoning: 710
Abstract Reasoning: 680
SJT: Band 2

Is it realistic to be applying to medicine based on these qualifications?
Original post by Jananie0799
GCSEs:
- 9A*s, 4As, 1B

AS Levels:
Biology A
Chemistry B
Maths A
Psychology B
Gov&Politics D (two year early entry)

Hoping to be predicted AAA/A*AA for A2, for Bio, Chem and Maths

Work experience/volunteering:
2 weeks at a hospital shadowing doctors in the stroke unit
Ongoing volunteering at a care home
3 years+ volunteering at library

Wider reading:
Being Mortal
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
sBMJ
The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine
Bad Science

Potential universities:
UCL
Queen Mary
University of Bristol
University of Sheffield
University of Liverpool

UKCAT:
Verbal Reasoning: 630
Quantitative Reasoning: 710
Abstract Reasoning: 680
SJT: Band 2

Is it realistic to be applying to medicine based on these qualifications?

They are fine, yes. Just make sure you apply wisely :yy:

Some want minimum scores in each section (SGUL, plymouth), some will score the sections (nottingham, plymouth) as well as the average, some require you to get over band 4 SJT to be considered, and some will score the SJT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

I just did my UKCAT today and I am quite disappointed since I was getting around 700 in my mocks but only came out with 637, Band 2 today.

I also have 6A*s 4As for GCSE and I am predicted 3As minimum with the possibility of it being A*AA at A2. (I will know for sure once I start sixth form again)

I have looked at places to apply and so far I have narrowed it down to:

UEA
Bristol
Liverpool

And I'm unsure of where else to apply hence I know my GCSEs are nor strong enough for GCSE heavy universities, and it would be risky to go for UKCAT heavy universities, or even ones with a cut off of 650.

What should I do next? Is it worth applying the year after or should I do the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipanda99
Hi guys,

I just did my UKCAT today and I am quite disappointed since I was getting around 700 in my mocks but only came out with 637, Band 2 today.

I also have 6A*s 4As for GCSE and I am predicted 3As minimum with the possibility of it being A*AA at A2. (I will know for sure once I start sixth form again)

I have looked at places to apply and so far I have narrowed it down to:

UEA
Bristol
Liverpool

And I'm unsure of where else to apply hence I know my GCSEs are nor strong enough for GCSE heavy universities, and it would be risky to go for UKCAT heavy universities, or even ones with a cut off of 650.

What should I do next? Is it worth applying the year after or should I do the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do the BMAT and look at BSMS, imperial, leeds, lancaster etc. I would say bristol, sheffield, liverpool, would be good, UEA may be riskier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Do the BMAT and look at BSMS, imperial, leeds, lancaster etc. I would say bristol, sheffield, liverpool, would be good, UEA may be riskier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
I agree with UEA, not sure of applying there yet. Also, sheffield had a cut of 675 last year, so it would be a risk applying there, right?
With Imperial, I'm confused as to applying there since, they removed GCSE requirements but as the competition is so high, wouldn't they look at GCSE grades as a factor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 828
Im applying for foundation medicine/access courses because my predicted grades will be AAB/ABB, although my personal target is A*AA (english lang, biology,chemistry)I got an A in AS geography
I got 2A* 7A's and 1B(drama) at gcse

My personal statement is quite good as i have loads of extra curricular as well as care experience.

I can apply for:
Newcastle
Hull York
Southampton
Nottingham
UEA

I really like UEA and Hull York but no clue about the others. If I do get A*AA ill try st georges through clearing as I live near london and commuting would be cheap ( how hard would it be to commute for an hour everday considering medicine is a difficult course ?)
Which unis should I apply for considering my gcses grades were low (but the highest in my school) and what ukcat score do I need to have a good chance.

Also does anyone know how many people apply to foundation courses and how competitive it is
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tr.12
Im applying for foundation medicine/access courses because my predicted grades will be AAB/ABB, although my personal target is A*AA (english lang, biology,chemistry)I got an A in AS geography
I got 2A* 7A's and 1B(drama) at gcse

My personal statement is quite good as i have loads of extra curricular as well as care experience.

I can apply for:
Newcastle
Hull York
Southampton
Nottingham
UEA

I really like UEA and Hull York but no clue about the others. If I do get A*AA ill try st georges through clearing as I live near london and commuting would be cheap ( how hard would it be to commute for an hour everday considering medicine is a difficult course ?)
Which unis should I apply for considering my gcses grades were low (but the highest in my school) and what ukcat score do I need to have a good chance.

Also does anyone know how many people apply to foundation courses and how competitive it is

Why are your predicted grades so low? Can you not try to get predicted higher?

I think foundation courses are more competitive in figures, but I don't know how they actually compare realistically.
Don't rely on SGUL being in clearing next year. They were this year, they will do everything they can to make sure they're not this year.
I'm trying to work out if Bristol is a risky/wasted application for me - I want to apply to Oxford so I'd rather have more solid options but I do really like Bristol. TIA for any replies :h:

GCSE: 11 A* 1 A (further maths)
AS Level: A in Maths (didn't sit any other because my school is weird and/or tight)
UKCAT: 2520/2700 Band 1 (VR 900 QR 890 AR 730 average 840)

Bristol gives 10% weighting to UKCAT, 20% to academic achievements and 70% to the statement so I'm not sure if I should consider elsewhere as it's a bit of a shot in the dark, especially when you consider Oxford might be a wasted application depending on the BMAT and how nasty they're feeling this year. My other two are Sheffield and Newcastle which are both safer due to their use of the UKCAT. Problem is, I really like Bristol - is it worth it??:banghead:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by poppyb787
I'm trying to work out if Bristol is a risky/wasted application for me - I want to apply to Oxford so I'd rather have more solid options but I do really like Bristol. TIA for any replies :h:

GCSE: 11 A* 1 A (further maths)
AS Level: A in Maths (didn't sit any other because my school is weird and/or tight)
UKCAT: 2520/2700 Band 1 (VR 900 QR 890 AR 730 average 840)

Bristol gives 10% weighting to UKCAT, 20% to academic achievements and 70% to the statement so I'm not sure if I should consider elsewhere as it's a bit of a shot in the dark, especially when you consider Oxford might be a wasted application depending on the BMAT and how nasty they're feeling this year. My other two are Sheffield and Newcastle which are both safer due to their use of the UKCAT. Problem is, I really like Bristol - is it worth it??:banghead:

Yes 100% i know so so so many med schools which will automatically interview you with those stats, wheras bristol will look at your PS and that is always riskier as it is subjective.

You will be pretty much gauranteed an interview at:
- aberdeen
- dundee
- st andrews
- glasgow
- newcastle
- southampton
- exeter
- plymouth.
- UEA
- Kings
- leicester
- cardiff
- birmingham
- QUB

I would go for somewhere that looks at both GCSEs and UKCAT ad you will storm the system (honestly!) like leicester, Kings, birmingham, st andrews etc.

As for sheffield (sorry about previously but i edited it as just re-read the new admissions policy) good choice based on your stats.

You are an outstanding applicant and you have a great chance at the schools i listed above and ofc oxford!

Feel free to PM me if you need more detailed advice x Natalie x

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE: 6A* (English x2, French, German, Biology, Chemistry)
7A (Maths x2, Physics, History, Drama, Dance, Music)

AS: A in French (will be probably dropping) and B in maths (but will be retaking next year).
Studying biology and chemistry on the reformed A Levels, so no AS grades count.
A2 predictions: AAA (but could probably be pushed to A*A*A)

UKCAT: VR - 670 QR - 800 AR - 640 (2110 total and 703 average) SJT - Band 2

I'm considering Bristol, Liverpool, Birmingham, Barts, Kings and Sheffield at the moment, but I'm unsure what universities my stats would suit.:confused: HELP!!!!
Original post by emelinaw
GCSE: 6A* (English x2, French, German, Biology, Chemistry)
7A (Maths x2, Physics, History, Drama, Dance, Music)

AS: A in French (will be probably dropping) and B in maths (but will be retaking next year).
Studying biology and chemistry on the reformed A Levels, so no AS grades count.
A2 predictions: AAA (but could probably be pushed to A*A*A)

UKCAT: VR - 670 QR - 800 AR - 640 (2110 total and 703 average) SJT - Band 2

I'm considering Bristol, Liverpool, Birmingham, Barts, Kings and Sheffield at the moment, but I'm unsure what universities my stats would suit.:confused: HELP!!!!

I would say for you bristol may be a bit riskier as they dont look at the UKCAT that much and yours is strong.
Barts may not be great for you unless your doing 4A2 with good predicted grades (mostly A*s) or an EPQ. More risky than others.
Liverpool same as bristol.
KCL may be risky with your GCSE grades.
Birmingham same as KCL but probably still a good choice as its will see your A*s in the core subjects more favourably.
Sheffield is a good choice.

Have a look at UEA, HYMS, leicester, manchester, SGUL they would all be good for your stats.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 834
Original post by Gogregg
Why are your predicted grades so low? Can you not try to get predicted higher?

I think foundation courses are more competitive in figures, but I don't know how they actually compare realistically.
Don't rely on SGUL being in clearing next year. They were this year, they will do everything they can to make sure they're not this year.

I had medical issues and i was in hospital 4 times so my grades suffered a lot. My chemistry teacher wont predict me above a B after hours of emails and persuasion, just because he said chemistry is hard and people rarely even go up by one grade. So because of chemistry I cant apply to the unis i want to even though I know I am capable of getting an A, as my health has improved greatly. My biology teacher said she would predict me an A providing I show her hard work in the next couple of weeks and my english teacher said she will possibly predict an A* as I got a high A.
I've kind of been left with no choice but to do foundation medicine and I think it wont really benefit me with the extra year, I could take a gap year but I am still going to apply this year and see if I can get in.

I assumed that they would be in clearing from now on but nevermind, I guess thats out of the picture now.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Yes 100% i know so so so many med schools which will automatically interview you with those stats, wheras bristol will look at your PS and that is always riskier as it is subjective.

You will be pretty much gauranteed an interview at:
- aberdeen
- dundee
- st andrews
- glasgow
- newcastle
- southampton
- exeter
- plymouth.
- UEA
- Kings
- leicester
- cardiff
- birmingham
- QUB

I would go for somewhere that looks at both GCSEs and UKCAT ad you will storm the system (honestly!) like leicester, Kings, birmingham, st andrews etc.

As for sheffield (sorry about previously but i edited it as just re-read the new admissions policy) good choice based on your stats.

You are an outstanding applicant and you have a great chance at the schools i listed above and ofc oxford!

Feel free to PM me if you need more detailed advice x Natalie x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying! I've pretty much talked myself out of Bristol now :frown: Just got to think I'd rather have a place at any medical school than a rejection from Bristol and a wasted choice!
I considered Exeter but it's a long way across country so Birmingham is looking very appealing now. SO close to finally deciding - it's been a nightmare :colonhash:
Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by poppyb787
Thanks for replying! I've pretty much talked myself out of Bristol now :frown: Just got to think I'd rather have a place at any medical school than a rejection from Bristol and a wasted choice!
I considered Exeter but it's a long way across country so Birmingham is looking very appealing now. SO close to finally deciding - it's been a nightmare :colonhash:
Thank you :biggrin:

You summed it up perfectly there, beter to have a place for medicine than a wasted application! A place is a place and considering the competition post interview try to go for as many as possible!

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE: 7A* 3As
AS: AAAA
Predicted: Probably A*AA (maybe A*A*A if my teachers adore me)
UKCAT: 2040 total (VR:590 AR:650 QR:800 SJ:B1) AVG: 680

WE: 1 week at UCL hospital & 1 week in C&W hospital; 2 weeks in Nursery; Volunteering at a playground for kids with special needs; 6 months volunteering at care home

Unis?
Kings (idk if my UKCAT is good enough)
Imperial (I'm not sure... is it just BMAT I need to do well in now?)
Sheffield (idk about this)
Leicester
Southampton

What do you guys think about where I should apply?
Original post by isabella1999
Haha thanks, and yeah. Oh great, more pressure then :s-smilie:. It's so annoying as its been like AS, UKCAT,BMAT, then Interview (hopefully tho I can't really revise) then mocks then A2 like it never ends :colonhash: I'm never feeling revision but just got to get on with it I guess :frown:

Yup, just gotta keep that end goal in sight :biggrin:
Original post by Moodicrus
Yup, just gotta keep that end goal in sight :biggrin:

True :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending